The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled

+3
shadowsowner888
The Newms
Kiriana Shadeweaver
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Empty TwigWriSum-- currently untitled

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/12/2010, 4:55 pm

Maturity: I'm... not entirely sure. Probably a battle or two and a death. Nothing too graphic.
Fantasy: It's about a group of teenagers with magical powers. That answer your question?

Feel free to suggest a title. I'm no good at thinking of them. (Seriously! The file on my computer is simply labeled "tws2010")

I decided I needed to keep myself busy over the summer or I'll never survive. I don't talk to anyone anymore, I can't be in the pool 24/7, and it's too hot to be anywhere but my room.
So I decided to take part in TWS.
My goal? 10,000. Kinda skimpy, but please realize I can't write all that much for all that long. I've never made it past 6K in a story. Might bump it to 15,000 if I reach my goal and have a good amount of time left/haven't wrapped it up by then.
Oh, and TWS is longer than my entire summer vacation. 92 days? My summer's 80. I'm not even out of school yet, and I go back 9/7. I just started in class the other day, don't expect anything else until the 18th.
TwigWriSum-- currently untitled ?total=10000&sofar=1168&base=1
I'm gonna make myself a custom word-count graphic... eventually.
To save myself from making two threads, I'ma just put the profiles of our three main characters (yes, three; I just decided to start with Jake) in the second post, possibly more once we get rolling.
Let's begin, shall we?

-------
Jacob Crowe was a strange child. While the other boys around him were sports fans or video game geeks, he was more than happy to have his nose buried in a book, like it was now. Lunch period was always busy and loud, and Jake hated to be in the middle of it.
So he sat crouched in front of his locker with a heavy tome in his lap. Usually he had a sack with a sandwich or something to eat while he read, but there was nothing in the fridge today so he didn't bother.
The halls were deserted during lunch period, so besides the turning of pages and his own breath, the only sound was the soft ticking of the clock.
Until a shrill bell sounded.
Jacob closed the thick book with a satisfying thunk and gave an exhausted sigh. "Three, two, one..."
Cue the quickly-growing roar of two-hundred fifty rowdy seventh-graders running upstairs.
"Right on schedule," he said to himself, rising to his feet and heading to class.

Science was boring as usual, taking notes on a video which halfheartedly tried to be entertaining. Jacob ripped a blank sheet of paper out of his notebook and a pen out of his case, then slouched down on his desk. His large blue eyes drifted half closed as the world slipped out of focus.
The black pen glided across the paper, struggling to keep up with Jake's mental notes. He would pull the paper back every so often and scan the page. Assured that everything was perfectly in line, he slid it back to the original position at the top of the desk and the pen resumed writing.
The teacher would give a quizzical glance to Jacob when he did this. She would pass it off as an optical illusion. But sometimes it seemed a little too... real.
But she would never dwell on it, and simply returned to grading papers.
---
Unlike Jacob, Kari Hollows enjoyed the noise and chaos of the eighth grade lunch room. Loudness never bothered her. She was practiced in eavesdropping, and could easily hone in on gossip and conversations. She wasn't necessarily proud of this skill, natch; over time it just became... habit. She had friends and enemies, she knew at least something about everyone.
That's not to say she was popular.
Something about Kari landed right in freak territory. Maybe it was the eavesdropping. She doubted that, everyone did it, even if not as often or possibly as accurate.
Frowning, Kari pulled out her sketchbook. She didn't like to look into the topic if she could avoid it.
Noting that she would need new drawing pencils soon, Kari Hollows began to draw.

By the time lunch let out, Kari had nearly finished a somewhat realistic-looking eagle. As she was shooed away from her table, she clapped her sketchbook closed, planning to finish it in Spanish.
Upstairs, the Spanish room was dull. It used to be full of festive, cultural decorations, but some idiot vandalized the room last week so they were all taken down. Kari took her usual seat and thumbed through the pages of nearly-finished drawings to find the eagle.
After confirming the page, she took out her drawing pencil, which was no more than a wooden stub at this point, and roughly sketched in the remaining feathers. While casually adding in the talons, she got a bit carried away.
A few seconds after she added the final sketchy lines, the eagle's wings stretched out and its entire body began gaining texture and dimension. Kari gave a quiet yet audible gasp. Quickly, she flipped the pencil in her hand and erased a few lines, and it returned to its flat, still position.
Kari was always careful to leave her drawings just barely unfinished. She would cleverly "forget" a claw, or an eye's pupil. The picture would stay trapped in the off-white pages of the sketchbook.
---
Rumor traveled fast around the suburban streets. Urban legend told of the "Ghost Angel," a frail winged child in pale colors. She could float and bounce, and would run the streets on clear, moonlit nights.
The small figure laughed. Humans could be so gullible.

Truth be told, there was a Ghost Angel. It wasn't anything to write home about, though. She was extremely pale, with chalk-white skin and blonde hair with barely any color. She had wings, but nothing fluffy or feathery or very beautiful. They were more like glassy, hovering, wing-shaped symbols; nothing that could hold anyone in the air. She could float, by magic, of something like that. There was a Ghost Angel.
And she goes by the name of Enigma.
---
Jacob eyed the cluster of students crowded at the door, annoyed. It didn't make the clock move any faster, why bother? He casually put his stuff back in his binder. No rush, there was still 37.28 seconds before the end bell rang. Exactly. Besides being a bookworm and illusionist/psychic child, Jacob was one for ludicrous precision, no matter how useless it actually was.
12.42 seconds.
He stood up sleepily, slinging his cloth binder over his shoulder. Almost time to go.
2.51 seconds.
The bell rang, a shrill and reverberating sound. While everyone else stormed out the door, Jacob lazily brought up the end.
The halls would be crowded for several minutes before anyone got the mind to leave the building. Jake hoped he wouldn't bump into anyone today, which happened a lot.
He wasn't so lucky.
Jacob clattered to the ground in a flurry of papers. He picked one one up, and in mild surprise, found it wasn't his. It was a drawing... of an eagle?
"Oh god, I'm sorry. Here."
Jacob looked up, confused, and saw a girl holding her hand out to help him up. She looked like a sepia snapshot--the girl had drab, pale brown features, with clothes of an identical shade. Gratefully, Jacob took the strange girl's hand as she yanked him back to his feet.
"Thanks."
"Yeah. Sorry for knocking you over like that."
"Not a problem, happens all the time. Made a bit of a mess there." He snapped his fingers, and the mess of papers glowed ethereal blue. Moments later, the flurry arranged itself into a neat stack and dropped into Jacob's hands. He held it out to the girl. "Here."
She gave a surprised laugh and took the papers. "So you're the illusionist kid, huh?"
Jacob raised an eyebrow. "That's what they're calling it?"
"So what do you call it?"
Jacob smirked, and pulled a pair of shiny steel dice out of his pocket. These were cloaked in the same blue glow as the papers and began hovering several inches above his hand. "TK," he pronounced the letters crisp and clear.
The girl's eyes grew wide. "Telekinesis," she said in an amazed whisper.
He nodded his head. "Mm-hmm." He paused, and held out his free hand. "The name's Jacob. Jacob Crowe."
She took it and shook vigorously. "Kari Hollows."
---

Last edited by Kiriana Shadeweaver on 6/19/2010, 12:22 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 472

Back to top Go down

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Empty Re: TwigWriSum-- currently untitled

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/12/2010, 4:56 pm

Some short profiles, with nice little scribblies I did of my charries.

Jacob Crowe
TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Jacob_crowe
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Sandy brown
Skin Tone: Mid-tone caucasian
Attire:
-White, long-sleeved shirt
-Blue jeans
-Black shoes
-Small brown knapsack
Power(s):
-Psychic abilities
--Telekinetic object manipulation
--Can preform a hover for short distances
-Short-range teleportation
Other:
-Inexperienced with powers; control is shaky (on everything but a simple writing utensil)
-Primary weapon? A pair of steel dice to telekinetically chuck at his enemies

Kari Hollows
TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Kari_hollows
I hate this picture so much but I'm too lazy to redraw it. >.>
Eye Color: Brown; hints of gold
Hair Color: Dull brown
Skin Tone: Pale
Attire:
-Pale brown shirt
-Black pants
-Black shoes
-Brown-tinted sunglasses
Power(s):
-Art initiates life; drawings become real objects
Other:
-Sensitive to light; keeps sunglasses on head for easy access to shield her eyes.

Enigma
TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Enigma

Eye Color: Grey
Hair Color: White-blonde
Skin Tone: Extremely pale to chalk-white, depending on the light
Attire:
-Worn grey dress
-No shoes, barefoot
Power(s):
-Gravity shift
--Can control gravity around self, allowing levitation, higher jumps, etc.
Other:
-Glassy, symbol-like wings
TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Enigma_wings

Last edited by Kiriana Shadeweaver on 6/16/2010, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/13/2010, 12:51 pm

It's a good start! I like the little character profiles, too; they look so cute! ^^

Anyhoozle, I'll be on the lookout for your next chapter.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/13/2010, 8:31 pm

I think it's a cool story. :O So casual, then all of a sudden, Jake's using telekinesis. I found it rather delightful. applause
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 1312TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 2412TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 3349TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 3548TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/14/2010, 4:02 pm

Yeah... he's only good at mundane things, like moving a pen across paper. When it's all you can do, you make the best out of it, right? Also it helps his teachers think he's just some sort of funky illusionist rather than a young psychic.

I've barely started, and from what I've gathered in my head Jake is already my favorite. I wonder why.
Maybe it's 'cause he has powers I would kill for. I wanna be psychic. x.x
Besides the useless episodes of clairvoyance I get in my dreams occasionally. Those don't count because they're useless and I can't control them.

Anyways, I've just had the most awkward day (Be honest; how many of you have ended up not having a ride and your teacher takes you home? On a day where you had a real lockdown?) and I need to distract myself. Might as well continue. Let's look into Miss Hollows, shall we?
*opens up word processing program*
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/14/2010, 5:42 pm

Haha, I'm gonna have to agree with you there. ^^ Even he isn't insanely powerful, that's still pretty amazing, and he's my favorite character so far too! (Even though there aren't really any others yet. XD)
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 1312TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 2412TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 3349TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 3548TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/14/2010, 6:11 pm

shadowsowner888 wrote:Haha, I'm gonna have to agree with you there. ^^ Even he isn't insanely powerful, that's still pretty amazing, and he's my favorite character so far too! (Even though there aren't really any others yet. XD)
I'm actually gonna have to be real careful with him to keep him from being overpowered--Kari, as the profile implies, only has one power. And for the record, Eni can't do that much. Jake? Let's just say I thoroughly believe that if you're psychic, you can do anything if you try hard enough. But that wouldn't be any fun, would it?
So even though he would have the potential to explore a few more mental abilities, I'm gonna try to keep it to object manipulation.

Anyways, I got distracted, but I'll try to get another segment up sometime tonight. Probably something similar in idea and length, Kari's take on school life.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/14/2010, 6:43 pm

Ahh, yeah, that would be a problem for me too. It's so tempting to make them become all-powerful and everything, but it'll definitely be more interesting if you keep it diluted like this. :3

Lol, well, I hope you'll have the chance to work on it! ^^ I'll be looking forward to reading it.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/14/2010, 10:07 pm

By the way, Kiri, I APPROVE OF YOUR AVATAR <3
Although, personally, I'm a water-starter kinda girl, so it's Mijumaru for me!

But anyhoozle, telekinesis is awesome. And so is your character.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/16/2010, 4:05 pm

Added two new parts. Well, one and a half, I guess, the second is pretty short. Introducing our other two characters, I'll add Eni's profile in a bit.
The Newms wrote:By the way, Kiri, I APPROVE OF YOUR AVATAR <3
Although, personally, I'm a water-starter kinda girl, so it's Mijumaru for me!

But anyhoozle, telekinesis is awesome. And so is your character.
I've always liked the grass starters best (save Johto). *shrug*

Mm-hmm.
If I had to pick one psychic power, it'd be telekinesis. Close up to another that comes to mind. Let's just say... "Fire is pretty." (Or its opposite, cryokenisis; freezing stuff would be pretty cool too, no pun intended.)
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/16/2010, 4:12 pm

Oh, noboy loves poor Chikorita. xP

Yay, I like the new parts! I like Kari because we both draw. = ) Only her eagles come to life....grarrgg....
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/16/2010, 4:19 pm

The Newms wrote:Oh, noboy loves poor Chikorita. xP

Yay, I like the new parts! I like Kari because we both draw. = ) Only her eagles come to life....grarrgg....
I like Chikorita, I just like Cyndaquil better.

Yeah, I draw too, obviously. Kari was sorta me but then I changed her, but I liked the power and kept it.
I just picked something random, eagle just happened to be the first thing that popped into my head.

I just realized I designed the characters in opposite order I presented them. >.< First I had the idea for Eni, then I made Kari. Afterward I decided that I needed a boy character and along came Jacob. Then I wrote Jake's part first for whatever reason.
Anyways, we'll be following Jake for a bit again in the next part, probably, at least until he meets Kari. Not exactly sure how that'll turn out.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/16/2010, 4:45 pm

Ah, well, I love all the Johto Kanto starters equally, so I just save myself the trouble and pick water every time.

Hee hee xD Sounds good! I'll keep an eye out for new parts.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinx 6/16/2010, 5:11 pm

This is very well written, Kiriana. Hmmm...*Subscribes*
Jinx
Jinx
Published Author
Published Author

{{Avvie thanks to Ave]

I wish I had covered all my tracks completely
'Cause I'm so afraid
Is that the light at the far end of the tunnel
Or just the train?~Tidal wave, Owl city.
Female Posts : 3205

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/17481697803

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/16/2010, 5:51 pm

This story just keeps getting more and more interesting, Kiri! I can't wait to read more; you have such fascinating characters, and your writing style is really good at pulling me in. :3
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/17/2010, 3:44 pm

Is it bad that I'm finding the fact that people are complimenting my style funny? This is my casual tone.
Thanks nonetheless.

Today we had a class picnic! It was hot and ick and really sunny. Guess who forgot her sunscreen and always burns!
Well, my face and stuff were away from the sun so they're fine, but I wore a tank top today, so my shoulders and right arm are all very red and painful. Ow.
We also had yearbooks, but hey, I don't have any school friends. I spent the entire time writing (and ignoring my growing sunburn). I'll get the next part up sometime this afternoon.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/19/2010, 11:24 am

I would say that's very very good. Very Happy It means you have a natural writerly gift.

Argh, that sounds painful. :/ Sorry you got burned!
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 6/19/2010, 11:51 am

Oooh, this is cool. How didn't I see this before?

I'd like a power like Kari's, I think. -shrugs-

By the way, I think you copied the first thousand or so words twice. (:
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 6/19/2010, 12:27 pm

Thanks to you both. ^.^

Note to self: If I don't have sunscreen, remember to bring my fabulous green parasol next time I have to sit in the sun for a few hours. It's not as bad now (except the back of my shoulders; those are worse), but it still hurts.

Well, I'm outta school now, so that means no more writing in Spanish while I ignore movies. x.x
I'll still get stuff done, though.
Arianna wrote:By the way, I think you copied the first thousand or so words twice. (:
Whoops. *fixes*
Musta forgot to go back and copy-paste the last paragraph instead of the whole thing when I went to go wordcount it, 'cause I just have it in a notepad document.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/18/2010, 3:07 pm

Heeeeey Kiri, are you gonna write some more?

(Says the girl who hasn't written on her TwigWriSum story since... the 11th. Of June.)
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

TwigWriSum-- currently untitled 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rai 7/18/2010, 3:33 pm

I love this! Very Happy
I cannot wait for more!
Rai
Rai
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1321

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 7/21/2010, 8:35 pm

I should check this more than once a month.
Arianna wrote:Heeeeey Kiri, are you gonna write some more?

(Says the girl who hasn't written on her TwigWriSum story since... the 11th. Of June.)
I'll try to get something up before the beginning of August. I'm a bit stuck on how to move the plot forward. Which is a shame, as I know what I wanna do, like, two thirds into the story, but not now. XP
But if I update with 350 words a day all August I should hit a bit above my goal. (I'd need 29 days to hit ten thousand at that rate)
Also mom's looking to go out on a lake for a week next month. If that happens, I won't have internet. I'll probably write a lot if it happens.

Viewer participation time!
Pick a power, any power! I need more for later and I'm a failure at thinking of them. So far, we've got our core group, which is who we have profiles for; psychokinesis, art initiating life, and bizarre gravity manipulation. Also there's a poisonous person and one that can read minds.
But like I said, later.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/22/2010, 9:43 am

Somebody whose blood is acid! >:O

Though that would be horrible, if they got into some sort of an accident . . . then everything would start melting . . .

Or, or, maybe someone who can . . . umm, do stuff with his eyes? Lol, I wanted to think of something, but I can't find anything original. Razz I just wanted to see somebody who had a weakness to sunglasses or something.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/22/2010, 10:57 pm

Do a shape-shifter!! xD
Uhm, or someone who can talk to animals x3

And add more soon...pretty please?
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 7/23/2010, 11:37 am

shadowsowner888 wrote:Somebody whose blood is acid! >:O

Though that would be horrible, if they got into some sort of an accident . . . then everything would start melting . . .

Or,
or, maybe someone who can . . . umm, do stuff with his eyes? Lol, I
wanted to think of something, but I can't find anything original. Razz I just wanted to see somebody who had a weakness to sunglasses or something.
Also, acid blood would be physically impossible.
*grimaces* ...squick. Corrosive people would be quite bad.

Hmm... that'd be pretty neat.
The Newms wrote:Do a shape-shifter!! xD
Uhm, or someone who can talk to animals x3

And add more soon...pretty please?
'Kay. Shapeshifting would be cool. Dunno how useful cross-species communication would be though.
...Oh, wait yes I do.

I'll try--like I said, I'll do my best to get at least one update in before August.
Of course, it's hard to get between Kiri and her video games...
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next