The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copy and Paste

+42
Spring_Blossom
Puckspaw
Sharkbait
Mordor
*Strongly*[Emo]tional
Jinx
Selene Hime
Akeria
Webkinz-lover#1
Imagine
<3--[Emily]--<<
merry312
CocoaPuff
Mrs. Twarry Matsuda
IDmangapasta
LuckyPenny666
Mrs.SasukeUchiha
leah_hope92
amrgirl
twilighter3000
Jackson Rathbone
iGrievous
DiscardedHarmony
Komoda
FOREIGN?!
Malicious Nightmares
Mrs. Amazon E Cullen
xSophiexx16
SaddleClub
PugsRock
shadowsowner888
Arianna
The Mad Hatter
Mrs. Jessi O'Shea
Jade
rattyjol
catbuster
Miss_Alice
Noah the Flood
Cyn431
Avé
Jesus4Eternity
46 posters

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Copy and Paste - Page 22 Empty Re: Copy and Paste

Post by PugsRock 2/27/2010, 3:35 pm

Whoops. Mod stuff. Can't post...
PugsRock
PugsRock
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 7527

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 2/27/2010, 4:18 pm

Copy and Paste - Page 22 2ivyb2q

Haha, Twig's latest accomplishment. xD
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 15853

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 2/27/2010, 4:57 pm

An email address I needed to add to a list.
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Female Posts : 3651

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 2/27/2010, 5:54 pm

Arianna wrote:*starts hyperventilating*
Comic... Sans...

Hai! xD

(Copying and pasting into one large response because the Citation Multiple doesn't seem to work for me, XD.)
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 426

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 2/27/2010, 6:11 pm

Did you click on the advanced reply button after you selected all the quotes?
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 2/27/2010, 6:13 pm

rattyjol wrote:Did you click on the advanced reply button after you selected all the quotes?

I thought I did.

Copy and Paste - Page 22 24xds41
(Was showing this to a friend. *Grin* Gotta love Lolcats.)
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by catbuster 2/27/2010, 6:16 pm

Please just don't play with me
My paper heart will bleed
This wait for destiny won't do
Be with me, please, I beseech you
Simple things, that make you run away
Catch you if I can

The qoute for my sig.
catbuster
catbuster
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 2/27/2010, 7:43 pm

Oooh, AAR! Very Happy

I, like Pugs, have mod stuff too. xD Not posting this . . .
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Copy and Paste - Page 22 1312Copy and Paste - Page 22 2412Copy and Paste - Page 22 3349Copy and Paste - Page 22 3548Copy and Paste - Page 22 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 2/27/2010, 7:56 pm

In False Memory by Dean Koontz, the reader is immediately drawn in by the writing style, and word choices of Dean Koontz, although, questions are naturally aroused in the first chapter. The main character is Martie, walking her dog, Valet. The reader finds out about her family; her mother, husband, dog, as well as her job and a nightmare she has; “The man made of dead, rotting leaves, a nightmare figure. Whirling, raging.” (Page 3). The first question that came to mind was “Why was she freaking out?” When, on page six, she begins to feel adrenaline rushing through her blood, as if someone was attacking her, when no one was. She begins to see her shadow very angularly, and is having almost a panic attack before she comes to her senses and brings her dog inside her house. The title didn’t seem to play into this chapter in particular, it being the first chapter of the book, and just introducing the characters and their personalities. Oddly enough, Martie’s character seemed to be very strong, and not easily scared, because her reaction to her panic attack was very shocked, as was mine, due to the way Koontz thrust it upon the reader very suddenly, as if that one chapter had its own complete plot.
In the second chapter of the book, the point of view switches to follow Dusty, Martie’s husband, trying to coax someone, his half-brother, as you later find out, down from killing himself. Dusty is a construction worker, working on the house that his half-brother is trying to jump off. Dusty, confused, tries to coax Skeet down from the roof of the house, as an alarmed police officer and several of Dusty’s employees drag mattresses out of the house for Skeet to land on, in case he should jump. One of the questions that I had, was; “Why does Dusty’s crew wait for him to get there before trying to help Skeet get down off the roof without hurting himself, or at least get more police involved?” toward the beginning of the chapter, but was explained by Dusty toward the end of the chapter when he says, “’Neighborhood like this, people don’t want a fuss made when it can be avoided.” And “Neighborhoods like this don’t want spectacles.” (Page Cool. In addition, Motherwell, another employee of Dusty, explains why Skeet is on the roof in the first place; “The little geek says he’s happy because an angel of death is sitting beside him, and the angel has shown him what it’s like on the other side, and what it’s like, he says, is really awesomely cool.” (Page 9) Motherwell goes on to say how he doesn’t care about how Skeet is up there, because he doesn’t like that he uses drugs, being a Straight Edger, “This unlikely but still-growing movement among people in their teens and twenties—more men than women—required adherents to forgo drugs, excess alcohol, and casual CABBAGE!.” (Page 6). Koontz’s writing style seemed just as prominent within this chapter as in the first, especially with his use of imagery within the text, for example, when he writes; “Dusty was relieved and surprised that no neighbors had gathered to watch the drama. At this early hour, maybe they were still eating caviar muffins and drinking champagne and orange juice out of gold goblets.”, which shows his use of imagery to describe not only what the people eat, but also in a sarcastic way, which shows how Dusty thinks about the way that these people live. Again, the title doesn’t play much into this chapter. It was not apparent to me of any false memory during this chapter.
One of the first quotes that stood out to me from this book was not in either chapter, but was in a collection of short poems and verses that Koontz had gathered before the beginning of chapter one.
“In the real world
as in dreams,
nothing is quite
what it seems.”
Which is taken from The Book of Counted Sorrows. This quote stood out to me, because I thought that it really related to my immediate interpretation of the title. I first interpreted the title, False Memory, as the type of novel where the main character would remember things differently than they were, so this quote really proved to me that topic.
Another quote that stood out to me was within chapter one, about Martie;
“Then, her gaze dropped to her elongated shadow, which stretched across the close-cropped grass, draped the curb, and folded onto the cracked concrete pavement. Inexplicably, her uneasiness swelled into alarm. She took one step backward, then a second, and of course her shadow moved with her. Only as she retreated a third step did she realize that her very silhouette was what frightened her. Ridiculous. More absurd than her dream. Yet something in her shadow was not right: a jagged distortion, a menacing quality. Her heart knocked as hard as a fist on a door…”
This quote showed how quickly Martie’s state of mind changed, and how, even within the first chapter, she was getting scared, and the chapter became more and more climactic. This quote really stood out to me because of Koontz choice of words, and the similies that he uses, “Her heart knocked as hard as a fist on a door” among others, show how well Koontz writes, and is just one example of numerous similies throughout the first and second chapters.
In chapter two, a quote that stood out to me was from Dusty, and really showed his sarcastic personality as he talks with the first responding police officer.
“‘That man up there is one of my crew.’
‘Crew?’ The security man scowled. ‘Is that what you call it?’
Maybe he was being sarcastic or maybe he was just not good at conversation.
‘Most painting contractors call it a crew, yeah,’ Dusty said, staring up at Skeet, who waved. ‘We used to call ours a strike force, but that scared off some homeowners, sounded too aggressive, so now we just call it a crew, like everyone else.’
‘Huh,’ the guard said. His squint tightened. He might have been trying to figure out what Dusty was talking about, or he might have been deciding whether or not to punch him in the mouth.
‘Don’t worry, we’ll get Skeet down,’ Dusty assured him.
‘Who?’
‘The jumper,’ Dusty elucidated, heading along the driveway toward Motherwell.
‘You think I should maybe call the fire department?’ the guard asked, following him.
‘Nah. He won’t torch himself before he jumps.’
‘This is a nice neighborhood.’
‘Nice? HEAVEN!, it’s perfect.’
‘A suicide is going to upset our residents.’
‘We’ll scoop up the guts, bag the remains, hose away the blood, and they’ll never know it happened.’”
Besides showing Dusty’s sarcastic personality, it also shows that he has a positive outlook toward Skeet’s behavior. He doesn’t really think that Skeet will jump, and he thinks that calling the police will make matters worse, so he decides to go up on the roof himself, the police officer saying that he will give him ten minutes to try and coax him down, before he calls the fire department to get him down himself.
These two chapters do not really make any generalizations about people. Though the first chapter did say how quickly a person’s emotions can change from being normal, to having anxiety and being afraid of something that is in their mind, or isn’t there at all. In addition, it shows how some people, especially those with sarcastic personalities, can make something amusing out of any situation, even one that may end with an unlikely suicide.
Dean Koontz was very successful in creating good chapters. His use of literary devices such as imagery and similies only attributes to his writing style, which makes each page very believable, and the reader want to read more and find out more about these characters. Because these chapters were only nine pages put together, they didn’t contain too much plot, but what little plot they did contain held a great deal of necessary exposition which attributed to the positivity of Koontz’s chapters.

...Shocked
I was e-mailing my journal assignment to a teacher for her to edit. I forgot how freeking long this thing is... wallbash
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catbuster 2/27/2010, 8:01 pm

shadowsowner888 wrote:Oooh, AAR! Very Happy

I, like Pugs, have mod stuff too. xD Not posting this . . .
Tee hee I love AAR!

http://www.wajas.com/waja.php?id=5206878

Waja!
catbuster
catbuster
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post by Avé 2/27/2010, 8:07 pm

. Furthermore, the Egyptian slaves eventually escaped Egypt, and King uses this piece of information to suggest that black people have the ability to escape oppression as well.

I don't know what this is. I think this was from my sister's report.
Avé
Avé
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5955

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinx 2/27/2010, 8:27 pm

Everyone: Hello!
I say: This is Mea-Rosie-Zuzu-Iris and we are recording a message! You have reached the {Last name} family. Leave a message at the tone!
Peter-BWAAAAAH!

This is the script I wrote for our new answering machine message. Ten bucks says this is going to scare the crap out of the next telemarketer to call us!
Jinx
Jinx
Published Author
Published Author

{{Avvie thanks to Ave]

I wish I had covered all my tracks completely
'Cause I'm so afraid
Is that the light at the far end of the tunnel
Or just the train?~Tidal wave, Owl city.
Female Posts : 3205

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/17481697803

Back to top Go down

Post by FOREIGN?! 2/27/2010, 8:39 pm

I just realized that forgot a buncha people. D:

A post I'm writing up as I write this. I'm such a multi-tasker. xD
FOREIGN?!
FOREIGN?!
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Amazon E Cullen 2/27/2010, 8:58 pm

amazonrocks

O.O
Mrs. Amazon E Cullen
Mrs. Amazon E Cullen
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 9048

http://lovelyislovely.hot-me.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Twarry Matsuda 2/27/2010, 8:59 pm

a9863be45226d28e01028577a3e1767d905ad7ce

A code...
Mrs. Twarry Matsuda
Mrs. Twarry Matsuda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Copy and Paste - Page 22 Siggy Copy and Paste - Page 22 Siggy Copy and Paste - Page 22 Siggy Copy and Paste - Page 22 Siggy
Female Posts : 5932

http://role-playemp.roflforum.net/forum.htm - Mine http://role-p

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 2/27/2010, 11:38 pm

[•]

Something for an example to Saddle. xD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Copy and Paste - Page 22 1312Copy and Paste - Page 22 2412Copy and Paste - Page 22 3349Copy and Paste - Page 22 3548Copy and Paste - Page 22 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Avé 2/28/2010, 10:40 am

Teresa

For the "Funky Colors" thread. nod
Avé
Avé
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5955

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 2/28/2010, 11:27 am

omgyoufailjustkidding

Fancy that: what Ave said. xD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FOREIGN?! 2/28/2010, 1:16 pm

Alek Petrov

A roleplay charrie I just made.
He's Russian.
cool
FOREIGN?!
FOREIGN?!
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 2/28/2010, 1:17 pm

Lyrics to a song by Fort Minor that isn't appropriate to post. Smile
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Back to top Go down

Post by FOREIGN?! 2/28/2010, 1:18 pm

Censorship. o:

Alek Petrov
Same thing. Razz
FOREIGN?!
FOREIGN?!
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 2/28/2010, 1:22 pm

Same artists, different song, still inappropriate. Smile
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Back to top Go down

Post by leah_hope92 2/28/2010, 3:17 pm

Copy and Paste - Page 22 Thesecretwaterfallfamilytree1_2990609

Picture. xD
leah_hope92
leah_hope92
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 9887

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 2/28/2010, 8:04 pm

Copy and Paste - Page 22 OLOO

Dwagon Very Happy
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 15853

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 2/28/2010, 10:40 pm

[8:36:12 PM] moonlight-zelda: "Ah ... All right, then," Kent said quietly, though his emerald eyes stare was now focused on the woodland across the lake. A slight breeze blew past, teasing his onyx tresses over Farore's symbol a bit. The Knight moved forward after a moment, raising one hand in experimentation.

A loud splash suddenly cut through the morning's silence when he sharply raised his other hand, curling both sharply back towards him, as well as an aggravated and startled cry. A slight smile touched Kent's lips. "I do not suppose we've something to drag it back here with?" he queried calmly, though relaxing more so once the magical toll took affect. More than he expected, perhaps, but he'd live.

Quote from an IM RP I'm currently doing (Moonlight-Zelda being me). Was copying it into Word to keep track of it. Getting close to 500 pages / 3080 KB now. ^_^
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next