The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which puppy to get?!?!?!

+7
Malicious Nightmares
amrgirl
shadowsowner888
rattyjol
Blue Aqua Wind
FOREIGN?!
Doggiewriter23
11 posters

Go down

Which dog to get?

Which puppy to get?!?!?! Left1016%Which puppy to get?!?!?! Right10 16% 
[ 4 ]
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Left108%Which puppy to get?!?!?! Right10 8% 
[ 2 ]
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Left1052%Which puppy to get?!?!?! Right10 52% 
[ 13 ]
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Left1024%Which puppy to get?!?!?! Right10 24% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 25

Which puppy to get?!?!?! Empty Which puppy to get?!?!?!

Post by Doggiewriter23 4/27/2010, 2:46 pm

Hello everyone

When my parents decide I'm old enough(Well, I already know the age but I'm not going to share it) and can pay for my own dog with my own money. I've got a few dog breeds to choose from. And I want to get them all from Breeders because I want to get them as puppies so that way I can train them not to eat my Guinea Pig(If I still have her then...LOL..My Guinea Pigs usually die between 1-3 years old!). Anyway, I don't want any statement about how bad I would be for buying from a breeder. We study very hard before buying a dog from a breeder.

Anyway, these are the dogs to choose from:
West Highland White Terrier(Known as Westie):

Which puppy to get?!?!?! Westie-puppy-with-bow1Info:
The West Highland White Terrier, often simply called the Westie is a small, sturdy dog. The head is in proportion to the body and when viewed from the front gives off a round appearance. The blunt muzzle is slightly shorter than the skull and tapers towards the nose. There is a defined stop. The nose is black. The teeth meet in a scissors bite with teeth that are large in proportion to the dog. The almond-shaped, deep-set, dark brown eyes are set wide apart. The ears are erect set wide apart on top of the head, triangular in shape coming to a point. The legs are somewhat short but not too low to the ground. The undocked tail is relatively short, about 5-6 inches (12.5-15 cm.) long, thicker at the base and tapering to a point. Dewclaws are sometimes removed. The double coat has a straight, hard outer coat that is about 2 inches long (5 cm.) and a soft, dense undercoat. Coat colors come in solid white.
West Highland White Terriers are game and hardy little terriers, which are easy to train. They are fairly friendly toward strangers and get along well with children. Easy dog to travel with. They are lively and extremely self-assured toward other dogs, but will not pick fights, if their owners know how to display proper leadership. They may chase a cat for fun, and need to be corrected if they do attempt this. Robust, friendly and spirited. Westies just love companionship. Despite its size, they make a very good watchdog. The Westie likes to dig and bark. If a Westie is allowed to become the pack leader, they may snap when irritated and be combative with other dogs. A lack of leadership on the owners part can cause many behavior problems, such as biting, guarding food and furniture. A Westie who has an owner who knows how to display firm, confident, consistent, leadership will not experience these behavioral problems. These problems can be corrected once the owner becomes the dogs true pack leader. Do not allow the Westie to develop Small Dog Syndrome.
Lives 15 years or more

Miniature Australian Shepherd:
Which puppy to get?!?!?! 9489941_1 Info:
The medium-length coat of the Miniature Australian Shepherd (North American Miniature Australian Shepherd) is slightly wavy and moderate in length. It comes in blue or red merle, red or black tri-color, all with white and or tan markings. The hair around the ears and eyes should not be white. The coat may be straight or slightly wavy, and should have feathering on the back of the legs, and a mane and frill around the neck. Hair on the head, front of the forelegs and on the outside of the ears is shorter than the rest of the coat. The hindquarters are the same length as the forequarters. The top of the skull is quite flat and clean cut. The feet are oval and compact. The lips do not hang over the lower jaw.
Miniature Australian Shepherds are easy going, perpetual puppies that love to play. Courageous, loyal and affectionate, they are excellent children's companions that are great with active children. A devoted friend and guardian. Very lively, agile, and attentive, they are eager to please with a sixth sense about what the owner wants. Miniature Australian Shepherds are highly intelligent and easy to train. They can become nervous and destructive if left alone too much without enough mental and physical exercise. They need a job to do, as the breed is very intelligent, active and easily bored. Socialize them well when they are a puppy to avoid them becoming suspicious of strangers. Some like to nip peoples heels in an attempt to herd them. They need to be taught herding humans is not acceptable. A fine companion, it also enjoys working small stock. They are quiet workers, unlike some breeds, which are bred to bark constantly at livestock. This breed is not usually dog aggressive. Make sure you are this dog's firm, confident, consistent pack leader to avoid Small Dog Syndrome, human induced behavior problems. Always remember, dogs are canines, not humans. Be sure to meet their natural instincts as animals.
About 12-13 years.

Dachshund:
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Joskip-puppies-longhaired5Info:
There are three varieties of Dachshund: the short-haired, the wired-haired, and the long-haired. With each of these varieties there are three sizes. (See Height and Weight.) The Dachshund's body is longer than it is tall, muscular with short legs. It has an elongated head and a slight convex skull, arched with protruding eyebrows. The muzzle is long The jaw is robust with non-pendent lips. The teeth should meet in a scissors bite. The almond shaped eyes are dark red or brown-black. The mobile ears are hanging long on its cheeks. The body has a strong protruding sternum and a moderately retracted abdomen. The tail is carried in line with its back. The short-haired Dachshund's coat should be shiny, sleek and uniform.
Dachshunds have a wide color variety. They are as follows.
Solid colors are as follows: black, red (from strawberry blond to deep auburn), chocolate (brown), isabella (tan or fawn), creme (blond with no trace of red, from golden blond to platinum,the lighter the better) and blue (gray). In the wirehaired variety, creme is referred to as wheaton.
Bi-color dachshunds may be black and tan, black and creme, chocolate and tan, chocolate and creme, blue and tan, or blue and creme. In these combinations, the former color is the base color, and the tan or creme appears on the face and points. Sable is a red base coat with a black overlay. In the wirehaired variety, there is also wild boar, unique in that the hair shaft itself is bicolored red and black.
Patterns and tricolors:
Brindle-brindles should be striped over the entire body and may be seen on any of the above colors.
Dapple-the dappling is presented as patches of lighter color on a darker base color. This can result in a tricolored dachshund. example-black with tan points and silver dappling.If the dappling occurs in the eye, one or both eyes may be blue. Double dapples only occur when both sire and dam are dappled, and results in adding large areas of white to the dapple pattern. Triple dapples occur when a double dapple is bred to a dapple, resulting in even larger areas of white. There have been genetic defects attributed to double and triple dapple breeding.
Piebald-piebalds can be bi-colored or trip-colored. They have a white body with patches of one or two solid colors, as in red on white, or black and tan on white. The patches may range from a few spots to covering over 50 percent of the body. There may be ticking throughout the white areas, or they may be solid white.
In the event of cross breeding patterns, as in dapple to piebald or brindle to piebald, the solid patches display the dapple or brindle pattern. Registry depends on the kennel club the dog is registered with, but in the case of only one pattern being registered, the dog should be registered as piebald.
The Dachshund is curious, clever, lively, affectionate, proud, brave, and amusing. Devoted to their family, but can be slightly difficult to train and housebreak, but not impossible. Dachshunds travel well. This little dog needs an owner who understands how to be his pack leader or he will take over the house, and begin to try and tell the owner what to do. If the dog is allowed to take over, many behavior problems will arise, such as, but not limited to, guarding furniture, separation anxiety, food, toys or other objects, snapping, biting, and obsessive barking. They will become unpredictable with children and adults they do not know. If it gets really bad, they may become unpredictable with their owners. They are usually recommended for older, considerate children, simply because most owners do not display proper pack leadership to small dogs, causing moderate to severe protectiveness. A behavior that can change if the humans start being their pack leader. If they do get the proper leadership, they can get along well with children. This breed has an instinct to dig. They are generally okay with other pets, however, once again, without proper leadership from their humans, they can be jealous, irritable, obstinate and very quick to bite. Sometimes refusing to be handled. If you allow your little dog to take over your house, the dog will try his hardest to keep all of his humans in line. A weight which should not be placed on any dog's shoulders, especially one as sweet as a little dog like the Dachshund. These negative traits are not Dachshund traits, they are small dog syndrome traits. Meaning, most owners treat their small dogs like babies, rather than giving them leadership. Rules they need to follow along with limits they are, and are not allowed to do, which all dogs instinctually crave. Dachshunds who have human leadership along with a daily pack walk are wonderful family companions, with excellent temperaments.
About 12-15 years.
IF I DECIDE TO GET A DACHSHUND, I WOULD GET A LONG-HAIRED WHICH MEANS A LOT MORE GROOMING.

Papillon:
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Papillon-puppy5Info:
Also called the Continental Toy Spaniel, the Papillon is a small fine-boned little dog. The small head is slightly rounded between the ears with a well defined stop. The muzzle is somewhat short, thin tapering to the nose. The dark, medium sized, round eyes have black rims. The large ears can either be erect or dropped with rounded tips. Papillon with drop ears are called Phalene Papillon (Moth). The hair on the ears is long, and fringed, giving it a butterfly-like look. The teeth meet in a scissors bite. The long tail is set high carried over the body, and covered with long hair. Dewclaws are sometimes removed. The straight, long, fine, single coat has extra frill on the chest, ears, back of the legs and the tail. Coat color is white with patches of any color accept for liver. A mask of a color other than white covers both ears and eyes from back to front.
The Papillon is sometimes called the butterfly dog, because the ears look like butterfly wings. It is a friendly, intelligent dog that is tougher than it looks, and loves outdoor exercise. A Playful, lively, amusing, animated and charming little dog. Affectionate, gentle, patient, and proud, they love to cuddle. Enjoys a good romp outdoors. They are steady, obedient and are not yappers. Papillons can be trained to perform small tricks. Good with cats when they are socialized with them. They can also be difficult to housebreak, but are in general easy to train otherwise. If you allow this dog to become pack leader to humans, it may become very possessive of its owner and resent outsiders. When a dog believes he is pack leader to humans, it is called Small Dog Syndrome, human induced behaviors, where the dog is allowed to believe he owns the house. This can cause a varying degree of behavior problems such as, but not limited to, being, nervous, high-strung, timid, separation anxiety, guarding, growling, snapping, biting, obsessive barking, dog aggression and being untrustworthy with children. These are not Papillon traits, but rather behaviors brought on by the way humans are treating the dog. Since most people who own small dogs, because of their size, unknowingly allow them to run the show, they are not generally recommended for young children. However, if you are your dog's firm, consistent pack leader, providing rules he must follow and limits to what he is and is not allowed to do, along with daily pack walks, the Papillon can be very trustworthy with children. They will be calm if sufficiently exercised.
Doggiewriter23
Doggiewriter23
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1173

Back to top Go down

Which puppy to get?!?!?! Empty Re: Which puppy to get?!?!?!

Post by FOREIGN?! 4/27/2010, 2:53 pm

Well, it really depends on where you live and what kind of dog you want and such, but if it was me, I'd pick the Miniature Australian Shepherd. I like their temperament and how they look and everything. Very Happy Just make sure that before you get a dog you do a lot of research, because you have to make sure the dog you want would want to live with you too. nod

One more thing, you know you can still get puppies from places other than breeders. You might want to consider getting a dog from a shelter, because those dogs really need it and I think it costs less. If you want to get one from a breeder just because you want to train it not to eat your guinea pig, I don't really think that would work. It's hard to train a dog out of it's natural instincts. Instead you might want to get a calm non-hunting dog.

Last edited by FOREIGN?! on 4/27/2010, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
FOREIGN?!
FOREIGN?!
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Aqua Wind 4/27/2010, 2:53 pm

i don't really like small doqs. thouqh yeah, they are cute & all. ;p
anywhoo. i think you should qet the australian sheperd out of those. (:

alsoo. if you want any suqqestions or somethinq. labradors and qolden retrievers are really friendly, loyal & cute. i have a choco. lab. & qiant schnauzer. the schnauzer is really cute & friendly too. but well, i just love browny (lab). xD
Blue Aqua Wind
Blue Aqua Wind
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5263

Back to top Go down

Post by Doggiewriter23 4/27/2010, 3:07 pm

FOREIGN?! wrote:Well, it really depends on where you live and what kind of dog you want and such, but if it was me, I'd pick the Miniature Australian Shepherd. I like their temperament and how they look and everything. Very Happy Just make sure that before you get a dog you do a lot of research, because you have to make sure the dog you want would want to live with you too. nod

One more thing, you know you can still get puppies from places other than breeders. You might want to consider getting a dog from a shelter, because those dogs really need it and I think it costs less. If you want to get one from a breeder just because you want to train it not to eat your guinea pig, I don't really think that would work. It's hard to train a dog out of it's natural instincts. Instead you might want to get a calm non-hunting dog.
Well, any of the dogs can live where I live. It's just that when I'm working, I would need to put them in something like this:
Which puppy to get?!?!?! PPETS-3758635dt
When I got to work because I want to work at Petsmart and our Petsmart is a little far away and obviously with our puppy already, my mom won't want to take both puppies out.
Doggiewriter23
Doggiewriter23
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doggiewriter23 4/27/2010, 3:08 pm

Blue Aqua Wind wrote: i don't really like small doqs. thouqh yeah, they are cute & all. ;p
anywhoo. i think you should qet the australian sheperd out of those. (:

alsoo. if you want any suqqestions or somethinq. labradors and qolden retrievers are really friendly, loyal & cute. i have a choco. lab. & qiant schnauzer. the schnauzer is really cute & friendly too. but well, i just love browny (lab). xD
We don't really have space for a bigger dog although my mom REALLY wants a Great Dane but we don't have a HUGE house to keep it.
Doggiewriter23
Doggiewriter23
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Aqua Wind 4/27/2010, 3:16 pm

yeah, qreat danes are kind of biq. xD
anywayys. we don’t live in a huqe house either. & we just let browny & coco in the house sometimes. but they are pretty much always outside. nod
thouqh, i dunno if i’d suqqest a lab. if you have another puppy. some of them qet jealous easily. ;p
biqqer doqs are usually friendlier i think. xD
the mini Australian shepherd would be a qood choice anyways. (:
Blue Aqua Wind
Blue Aqua Wind
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5263

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 4/27/2010, 8:00 pm

Aussiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie! Very Happy Well, mini Aussie. xD I love Aussies. They're so CUTE! My friend has two and used to have another before them.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 4/28/2010, 12:05 am

All dogs are great in my opinion, but out of that list my favorite choice would be the Mini Australian Shepherd. xD It's like, this whole little bit here:
Miniature Australian Shepherds are easy going, perpetual puppies that love to play. Courageous, loyal and affectionate, they are excellent children's companions that are great with active children. A devoted friend and guardian. Very lively, agile, and attentive, they are eager to please with a sixth sense about what the owner wants
While nobody and nothing is perfect, at least that part of their temperament is. xD

And I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from a breeder or anything, because if that's what you want to do, you totally should. :3 But I want to comment that, no matter the breed or anything, when you find the right dog it'll be the right dog and that's that. Our dog Angel, she's so perfect (to me xD). So sweet, adorable, friendly, playful, loyal, and energetic, even in her . . . what, fifth year of life now? :3 Plus, training her is a breeze. All it takes is about twenty minutes of work with a few dog cookies and she can learn anything! And the thing is, she's a mix. nod (We've speculated a lot about what she is, but I'm pretty sure german shepherd, labrador retriever, and border collie are in there. nod) So if you don't find the right dog from a breeder, don't close off the option of visiting a shelter to look. ^^
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Which puppy to get?!?!?! 1312Which puppy to get?!?!?! 2412Which puppy to get?!?!?! 3349Which puppy to get?!?!?! 3548Which puppy to get?!?!?! 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 4/29/2010, 6:16 pm

Miniature Australian Shepherd. But they're all really cute!

Good luck choosing!
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Female Posts : 3651

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 4/29/2010, 6:19 pm

Either a Papillon or a Westie. (:
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 19506

http://www.shadowfire.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Norazbud 5/2/2010, 4:11 pm

papillon, my aunt has ones their really sweet dogs but there fur can get long so you have to keep good care of it.
Norazbud
Norazbud
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Which puppy to get?!?!?! SiggyWhich puppy to get?!?!?! Siggy
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Siggy
Which puppy to get?!?!?! Siggy

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 5/2/2010, 4:13 pm

*too lazy to read everything*

Well, I've always loved Papillions, so that would be my choice. :3
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystal Aura 5/2/2010, 5:40 pm

Mini Australian Shepherd! ^,^
Crystal Aura
Crystal Aura
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Female Posts : 2947

Back to top Go down

Post by leah_hope92 5/2/2010, 10:06 pm

Papillion or an Aussie. (;
leah_hope92
leah_hope92
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 9887

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down