The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Uninspired.

4 posters

Go down

I'm Uninspired. Empty I'm Uninspired.

Post by Arianna 5/22/2010, 9:27 am

Hellooooo.

Anyway, I don't really have writers' block. I can do my 1000 words a day, easy peasy. I actually don't struggle to come up with plots anymore, because during the day I'll get a few ideas, and then I'll pick one out for my freewrite.

But my main stories? Every time I sit down to write on them, I go, "Do I really have to do this?" For example, Imprisoned. I loved that story. I worked and worked and worked on it, and though it didn't have much of a plot, it had characters which I really seemed to understand, and it was going somewhere. I haven't worked on it since December, and even the chapter then was stilted and boring.

Even for my newer story, which is unnamed and sitting in the critiques section for the time being, has run dry after 1500 words. I don't get it.

I have 3 stories which I really want to work on, but ideas for all of them just fail me. It's not like I can wait it out - I've waited for half a year on Imprisoned, already.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me get my creative juices flowing? It makes me feel like I'm not a writer because I don't have one solid project to be working on, and it really saddens me to see stories I was so confident of die. Sad
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

I'm Uninspired. 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

I'm Uninspired. Empty Re: I'm Uninspired.

Post by Akeria 5/22/2010, 9:56 am

I always feel like that. Not to exaggerate, at all, but I always feel like it's a chore to write, and that's wrong. It should be something that I enjoy. For me, how I beat it is to come up with a writing schedule. Like, certain days of the week you post new chapters on certain stories, but do a freewrite everyday. I don't know if that helps, but that's what I do, because it gives you some time off between the chapters of a story so you can focus on something else.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Lover 5/22/2010, 10:13 am

Oh, I hate this feeling; trust me, Arianna, I've been there before too. With about five or six of my stories. I'd really, really want to write them but when I sat down my shoulders would slump and I'd stare at the cursor for a while, any ideas I'd had or even the will to write escaping me.

Just because you don't have a solid project to work on doesn't mean you're not a writer! Personally, I never have a solid project to work on. I kind of have a short attention span...I'm constantly skipping between random stories and great ideas and revisiting and then back to a great idea, etc. But I still consider myself a writer--even when I find myself in a place where I can't compose.

Personally, I find I have "moods." Writing-moods, to be exact. Some days I'll get home from school, throw down my stuff, and jump onto my laptop, ASAP, and type down this few-thousand word idea that's been bugging me all day. Other days, I just...can't. I find it helpful to walk in the woods, talk to my friends, or even just read a book. Sometimes reading other author's works inspires me to write. Or, even just going and sitting by myself and listening to music--thinking--can inspire me. Some of my self-acclaimed "Best-ideas" have come to me when I was bored on the bus on the way home from school, or when I was contemplating things as I took a shower, etc. Any way that works for you, try it; I'm sure you'll get your creative juices flowing again. =]

Hope I helped... =]
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

MATT II IS MY OLDER BROTHER! =D
Credit to Ave for my amazing siggie. [:
Female Posts : 9059

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 5/22/2010, 11:28 am

I can't say much, 'cause Heather basically covered both sides of what this reply was going to be, since she's just awesome like that. Razz

If you want some creativity to come back to you, go back to where you were first inspired to write... Imprisoned, for example. Maybe it was a garden. A classroom. A YouTube video. Since I haven't read your story, I can't say that any of those are logical, but you know what I'm trying to get at, right? Review what you've already gotten in your story and how much it's grown from just that little root. Maybe that'll help?

I'm keeping tabs on this. ^^
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 5/22/2010, 12:12 pm

Thank you, you three, for your replies. (:

Keri, that's a good idea. Thanks. (:

Heather, that's just how I feel. The only problem for me is that I can find enough inspiration for new stories, but not for existing ones. *crosses fingers* Hopefully I'll think of some ideas soon. Maybe I'll reread Imprisoned or something.

I'm afraid I was inspired by a dream. Dx But I could look for some photos which are like the post-apocalyptic landscapes which are portrayed in the story. Very Happy
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

I'm Uninspired. 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 5/22/2010, 12:39 pm

You're welcome. Very Happy And I guess that would be a good substitute! I should've been more general in that post, 'cause really I think you could look through anything (possibly) related to your story and maybe get ideas.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum