The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪

2 posters

Go down

♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪ Empty ♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪

Post by rattyjol 6/7/2010, 1:40 am

Sometimes song lyrics inspire me to write little pieces of stories, and I was thinking of starting a whole series of them for TwigWriSum... I only have one at the moment, but hopefully I'll get around to writing more. nod So, for now, here's the first one.

Jumper by Third Eye Blind
Maturity: Suicide
Fantasy: Well it's fiction... I'm sure it does happen, though. xP

I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend
You could cut ties with all the lies, that you've been living in
And if you do not want to see me again
I would understand, I would understand

I raced up the stairs, my heart pounding in my throat, my breath coming in short, rapid gasps. I reached the landing and hurtled around the bend, starting up the next flight of stairs. A number flashed by as I reached the next landing: 11. Eleven? Just eleven? There were sixteen floors in this building. I would never made it in time.
“Jason!” I screamed, though I knew he couldn’t hear me. It came out as a hoarse whisper, and my lungs burned with the effort. My legs were on fire, protesting violently at the abuse I was inflicting on them, but I had to keep going. I had to.
On the fourteenth floor, I tripped, managing to catch myself with my hands a second before I fell flat on my face. I pushed myself to my feet, forced myself to keep going, and stumbled up the last two levels, my breath rasping in my throat. The sixteenth floor... but I had to go to the roof. I made myself sprint the last flight of stairs, every muscles in my body screaming in protest, and burst through the heavy metal door, which was already swinging halfway open...
Jason stood the edge of the roof, his back to me and his head bowed. His black hair was plastered to his head and neck, drenched in the rain that poured from the sky like the entire realm of Neptune had been empties and dumped on us. I expected to see some cats and dogs - or at the very least a couple of fish - any second.
By this point I was also drenched to the skin, welcoming the freezing torrent on my overheated body. I was shivering madly in the cruel wind, trembling from a combination of cold and exhaustion. “Jason,” I gasped. “Jason - don’t-”
He must have somehow managed to hear me over the pouring rain, because his voice - so deep, and strong, and yet so filled with pain - rang out over the rooftop, though he didn’t turn around. “Go home, Kara.”
“Please, Jason,” I pleaded, my voice a little stronger now as I drew closer to him, moving slowly and carefully. “Don’t do this. If not for me my sake, for Lila’s. You don’t have to see me again, not ever, not if you don’t want to. I swear it. Just please, please, step away from the edge.” Tears were streaming from my eyes, mingling with the rain on my cheeks.
“Kara, you have to understand. This isn’t about you. It’s not your fault.
And then, still not turning to face me...
He jumped.

♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

You Found Me by The Fray
Maturity: Death, love
Fantasy: None

Where were you when everything was falling apart?
All my days were spent by the telephone that never rang
And all I needed was a call that never came
To the corner of 1st and Amistad

Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me
Lying on the floor surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait? Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late, you found me, you found me

Note: I wrote two versions of this one. The first one fits the song better, but I like the second one more.

Version One:

I sat by the phone, my fingers tapping nervously on the wooden arm of the chair. It had been over an hour since she should have arrived at 1st and Amistad. Why hadn’t she called?
A shrill ring split the air and I lunged for the phone, snatching the reciever from its cradle on the first ring. “Hello?” I asked breathlessly.
“Is this Zachary Linos?”
“Yes...”
“I have a message from a Lily Linos.”
My head snapped up. I stood abruptly, pushing the chair backwards with my knees as I did so. Lily was supposed to meet Kayla at the airport. “What is it?”
“She said to tell you... ‘I’m sorry.’”
Click. The line went dead.
The phone fell from my numb fingers.
She knew. She’d known she was going to die. And yet she’d gone anyway. She gone, and she’d left me all alone, without even saying a proper good bye...
“Kayla!” I’d called, running after her. “Wait!”
She turned to look at me, one foot already in the cab. “Zachary, I’m going to be late. My plane leaves in an hour.” She was the only one I allowed to call me Zachary.
“Let me come with you,” I begged. “It’s not safe for you there. You shouldn’t be there alone.”
“Surely I shouldn’t be there at all,” she replied, raising her eyebrows and smiling that mysterious smile I loved so much.
“Well, yes. But I know I can’t change your mind about that.”
“And you can’t change my mind about this either. I’ll see you on Saturday.” With that, she stepped into the car and slammed the door in my face, and the taxi sped away to disappear into the thick traffic.

That was the last time I’d ever see her. Because now she was gone.
Without my even being aware of it, my legs gave way beneath me and I collapsed to the floor. I reached for my pocket, for the letter she’d left in my mailbox before she left. On the outside was scrawled Just in case. I hadn’t opened it yet, and I didn’t have the strength to read it now. I simply clutched it to my chest, my last tangible reminder of the woman I loved and the only thing still tethering me to reality.
After a while I became aware of footsteps on the floor. “Zach?” a soft voice asked cautiously. “Is she...?”
I squeezed my eyes shut and nodded.
“Oh, Zach,” Lisa sighed. “I’m so sorry...”
A finger caressed my cheek, which I now realized was wet with tears.
“She didn’t... I never told her,” I whispered. “How I felt.”
“She knew. Believe me, she always knew.”
“And did she...?”
Her silence was all the answer I needed.

Version Two:
I unfolded the letter with trembling fingers, dreading what it would say. The hastily scrawled script, more familiar to me than my own handwriting, formed a long, solid block of text. It was smudged in places, as if tears had fallen before the ink had dried. At the bottom of the page the writing stopped abruptly, mid-word. Added onto the end were two words in a different hand:
I’m sorry.
The paper fluttered out of my suddenly numb hands, falling to the floor in what seemed like slow motion.
She knew. She’d known she would die. And yet she’d gone anyway. She’d gone, and she’d left me all alone, without even saying a proper good-bye...
“Kayla!” I’d called, running after her. “Wait!”
She turned to look at me, one foot already in the cab. “Zachary, I’m going to be late. My plane leaves in an hour.” She was the only one I allowed to call me Zachary.
“Let me come with you,” I begged. “It’s not safe for you there. You shouldn’t be there alone.”
“Surely I shouldn’t be there at all,” she replied, raising her eyebrows and smiling that mysterious smile I loved so much.
“Well, yes. But I know I can’t change your mind about that.”
“And you can’t change my mind about this either. I’ll see you on Saturday.” With that, she stepped into the car and slammed the door in my face, and the taxi sped away to disappear into the thick traffic.

That was the last time I’d ever see her. Because now she was gone.
Without my even being aware of it, my legs gave way beneath me and I collapsed to the floor. I groped for the letter and clutched it to my chest, my last tangible reminder of the woman I loved and the only thing still tethering me to reality.
After a while I became aware of footsteps on the floor. “Zach?” a soft voice said cautiously. When I didn’t answer, gentle hands fingers carefully pried the letter from my grasp. Without it there, my hands began to tremble.
“Oh, Zach,” Lisa murmured after a second, pressing the paper back into my hands. “I’m so sorry.” A finger caressed my cheek, which I now realized was wet with tears.
“She didn’t... I never told her,” I whispered. “How I felt.”
“She knew. Believe me, she always knew.”
“And did she...?”
Her silence was all the answer I needed.

Last edited by rattyjol on 6/21/2010, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪ Empty Re: ♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪

Post by Akeria 6/7/2010, 6:18 am

*Gasp!*
That's so good! I love this idea, and that song. Smile
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪ Empty Re: ♫♪ Musical Notes ♪♫ Most recent: You Found Me ♫♪

Post by rattyjol 6/7/2010, 10:35 am

Thanks, Keri. Very Happy I know, I love the song too.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 6/21/2010, 9:51 pm

You Found Me added. Very Happy
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down