The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES

+9
Jesus4Eternity
twilighter3000
rattyjol
Jade
iGrievous
Kat24
Arianna
shadowsowner888
DreamCatcher81
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 Empty Re: 10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES

Post by DreamCatcher81 8/15/2009, 1:54 pm

Awe well I love your writing so you should try Merry! xD
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 Siggy
10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 Siggy
Female Posts : 2460

Back to top Go down

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 Empty Re: 10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES

Post by DreamCatcher81 8/15/2009, 1:54 pm

Thanks Computeradmit and Amanda! cheesy
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 8/24/2009, 8:59 pm

This is an incredible thread. I'm going to make it a sticky. Smile
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade 8/31/2009, 10:25 pm

As I think I've said, Dream, I love your guide but there was one thing about step #1 Smile

A lot of publishers only want to read around 10 pages of your novel, meaning it goes in the trash if you send your finnished novel.

People should research good publishers for their book and find out if they take book from non-agents and how much of the book they want ect.
Jade
Jade
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Female Posts : 2182

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 8/31/2009, 10:32 pm

Really, Jade? o.0 I didn't know that.

But yeah, I guess it'd be in the company's submission guidelines. xD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 131210 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 241210 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 334910 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 354810 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade 9/1/2009, 1:38 pm

Penguin Young Readers Group Submission Guidelines

As of January 1, 2007, Penguin Young Readers Group imprints will no longer respond to your unsolicited submission unless interested in publishing it. Rejected submissions postmarked January 1, 2007, or later will be recycled. Unless specified by an imprint, do not include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your submission.

You will not hear from us regarding the status of your submission unless we are interested in publishing it, in which case you can expect a reply from us within approximately four months. We regret that we cannot respond personally to each submission, but rest assured that we do make every effort to consider each and every one we receive.

Please keep in mind the following when submitting your work to Penguin Young Readers Group:

Never send submissions by e-mail or fax. Never send cassettes, CDs, marketing plans, or original artwork.
Please mail only one manuscript at a time and please be sure to retain a copy of your submission.
Because confirmation postcards are easily separated from or hidden within the manuscript, please do not include them with your submission.
Please refrain from calling, faxing, or e-mailing to inquire after the status of an unsolicited submission, as we will be unable to assist you. If you have not received a reply from us after four months, you can safely assume that we are not interested in publishing your work.
In receiving a submission, we do not assume any duty not to publish a book based on a similar idea, concept, or story.

THE FOLLOWING IMPRINTS ACCEPT SUBMISSIONS AS SPECIFIED BELOW:

DIAL

Entire picture book manuscripts
A maximum of 10 pages for longer works (novels, easy-to-reads) from the opening chapter(s) of the manuscript
DUTTON

Query letters only (must include SASE)
A query letter should be typed and, ideally, fit on one page. Please include a brief synopsis of your manuscript and your publishing credits, if any.
GROSSET & DUNLAP/PSS!

All book formats except for picture books
A summary and the first chapter or two for longer works
PHILOMEL

A maximum of 10 pages for longer works (novels, easy-to-reads) from the opening chapter(s) of the manuscript
When submitting a portion of a longer work, please provide an accompanying cover letter that briefly describes your manuscript's plot, genre, the intended age group, and your publishing credits, if any.
PUFFIN

A maximum of 30 pages for longer works (middle grade and YA manuscripts)
All novel submissions must include an SASE. Picture books are not accepted.
G. P. PUTNAM'S SONS

When submitting a portion of a longer work, please provide an accompanying cover letter that briefly describes your manuscript's plot, genre, the intended age group, and your publishing credits, if any.
RAZORBILL

A maximum of 30 pages for longer works (middle grade and YA manuscripts)
When submitting a portion of a longer work, please provide an accompanying cover letter that briefly describes your manuscript's plot, genre (middle grade or YA novel), the intended age group, and your publishing credits, if any.
All novel submissions must include an SASE. Picture books are not accepted.

This is a list of penguin imprints and what their guide lines are. Most of the time publishers will give up up to a year to finnish your book but it's good if you have it done ahead of time Wink
Jade
Jade
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 9/1/2009, 10:53 pm

That's the first submission guidelines I've ever read. xD And I'm proud to finally have done so.

Lol, yeah, I don't think I'd want to send off my unfinished work anyway. Razz I could never guarantee when I'd finish it.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 131210 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 241210 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 334910 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 354810 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade 9/2/2009, 8:34 pm

Same here, a lot of the time I get writers block- for like 1 month.
Jade
Jade
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 9/2/2009, 10:21 pm

I just get lack of motivation, lawl. rolleyes I procrastinate.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 9/2/2009, 11:26 pm

Same. XD I have a WB scale in my siggie. On a scale of 1-10 I'm at around 17. rolleyes
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 9/3/2009, 12:57 am

o.0 Eugh. That seriously sucks.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 9/3/2009, 1:19 am

Yep, I'm in thick writers' block snow (xD) right now. I wish I wasn't. Sorry about your writers' block too, ratty.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

10 EASY- AND NOT SO EASY- STEPS TO GETTING YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED BY THE BIG TIME COMPANIES - Page 2 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by iGrievous 9/3/2009, 7:41 am

I get writers block a lot, 'cause I never plan out my stories, I just say I have this idea, then everyone tells me to use it, before they know how hard it is for me to get plot inspiration.
iGrievous
iGrievous
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Male Posts : 4596

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 9/3/2009, 10:58 am

Well, I might be exaggerating a bit, but that's what it feels like. The last time I modified the document was 8/19, and that was probably me just scrapping another chapter because I reread Deathly Hallows and it didn't fit the story. rolleyes
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade 9/6/2009, 9:48 pm

That's sad ratty Sad But now your WB scale is 1.5 so maybe that's changed xD
Jade
Jade
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 9/6/2009, 9:54 pm

Yeah, cuz I "temporarily" (yeah, right rolleyes) gave up on that story and started a new one. The only reason I'm not writing much is that I wrote some on a piece of paper at school and I keep being too lazy to get it. XD
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 12/21/2009, 1:52 pm

I usually have two or three story ideas in my head. Like when I got WB on hte 2081 Trilogy during NaNo, I just worked on iNSaNiTY: Andalusia, another story I'm writing! So whenenver I've got WB, I've got CH&A, or ATC, or I:A
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by MarielofRedwall 7/22/2010, 7:17 pm

Actually, editing is correcting grammatical mistakes, punctuation, and spelling. I thought revision was when you added, took away, changed.Embarassed But I'm not sure. This is a good guide though, thank you! Smile
MarielofRedwall
MarielofRedwall
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2