The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ Empty ☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 6:26 pm

I'm re-writing this story, and I decided to put it on Twig! Smile

Maturity: Mates and signs of affection as romance goes--for now--and battles and death and burning as violence goes--oh yeah, and kidnapping.
Fantasy: Phoenixes [good], Midaexes [evil], Zerroxies [human/Phoenix OR human/Midaex], made-up world of Rhill.

Burning Time
By: Cheryl Faer [writing name]

T.O.C.:
Prologue- Page 1, Post 1

I- Flair

Chapter 1, Part 1- Page 2, Post 16
Chapter 1, Part 2- Page 3, Post 24

Prologue

His father was in trouble, which was all young Zentrinn
could understand. Flick’ryss, his mother, was aware of this as well, but had much more knowledge of the situation than her Phoenix child. The two stood together on a rock, each of their weights forcing the tips of their claws to[ leave dents in the stone, pearly white eyes gradually expanding with every strike Blaxx and Frairr performed above them. Red and black fireballs streamed across the space between the two, all only to be extinguished as they failed to hit their target.

“Blaxx, you’re stronger than I thought,” complimented the black bird of the two, with a bitter tone to his voice. “I’d figured you would’ve asked for mercy by now.”

The bright red Phoenix laughed; his voice was low, but softer than the other’s. “Mercy?” he repeated. Blaxx laughed again and shook his head. “Nice try, Frairr. I think you’ve forgotten there are two lives on the line.” He glanced down to catch a glint of love in the eyes of Flick’ryss, and Zentrinn’s tilted head.

Frairr finally noticed their presence, and it opened a door for him. He tried to get a closer look, but the threat of a bright red flame made him halt. “Quite,” he replied simply. “Yes, quite.”

Blaxx instantly recognized his mistake. Hoping to distract his opponent, he shot the fire from his wing towards him.

“Oh, I won’t hurt them,” Frairr assured, flicking the wind to blow himself just out of harm. “If Daetiphh will spare them, I can’t be sure of.” The corner of the crack in his beak twitched upward into a smirk.

“Daetiphh will do nothing to them,” hissed Blaxx, a building fury beginning to spark in his eyes. “Nothing.

Frairr’s eyes narrowed. “Oh, is that so?” he asked rhetorically. He fluttered over closer to Blaxx, avoiding the flames that lit his black feathers with ease. It seemed as if Frairr had rehearsed this fluid movement for weeks on end. “Very well, Daetiphh will do, as you say, nothing. There is a price, however.”

Several things happened simultaneously. Blaxx lunged himself onto Frairr, and the two were plummeting towards a narrow, but reportedly infinitely deep crevice in the ground; Frairr received the upper hand a few yards from the land, which gave him the ability to push Blaxx into the fissure with his feet, and swoop into the air and safety; Flick’ryss chirped “Blaxx!”; the black bird shot a stream of his own color, straight for the chick’s chest, which hit with perfect accuracy, making Zentrinn topple over onto the ground, motionless for numerous moments; Frairr cackled with triumph, and landed himself next to Flick’ryss.

“Blaxx and Zen are dead,” announced Frairr. “Would you like to join them?”

Flick’ryss exhaled a puff of fuchsia smoke. “Go. Away,” she ordered, although she didn’t expect obedience from him. To her surprise, Frairr hopped back a pace. She gave him the silent opportunity to leave her sight. When he stayed put, Flick’ryss screeched a fury of pink fire at him, and even though she heard no scream in return, when the flames faded he was gone.

She sighed. “Why so many of us…?” she asked the emptiness, which was all she had left. Flick’ryss turned around, and her pearly eyes widened. Her son, Zentrinn, was replaced with another creature. Flick’ryss tilted her head, and stared at the being, trying to figure out where she’d seen it before. After a few minutes, it came to her.

“Poor thing,” she whispered. Flick’ryss squeezed herself beneath the individual. She lifted herself into the air once she managed to get the being on top of her securely.

“I don’t know how you got here, but I know where you need to be,” she told him, despite she knew no answer would come. The red-violet bird was enveloped by the blackening sky. Throughout the day’s flight to her destination, Flick’ryss remained oblivious to the fact she was carrying what was called a human, and he could one day save the Phoenixes from the ever-strengthening Midaexes.

If I have any typos or grammatical errors, please let me know! I'd love to get this as conventionally correct as possible.

Last edited by Cyn431 on 8/9/2009, 4:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ Empty Re: ☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼

Post by The Mad Hatter 7/17/2009, 6:33 pm

Sweeet!!!
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ Siggy
Female Posts : 9056

Back to top Go down

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ Empty Re: ☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼

Post by twilighter3000 7/17/2009, 6:35 pm

Awesome! I love this! Keep writing it!
twilighter3000
twilighter3000
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Female Posts : 4701

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 7:43 pm

Thank you, guys! Smile I'll see if I can get some of Chapter 1 in tomorrow, hopefully, or maybe before I go to bed tonight.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/17/2009, 7:47 pm

This is great! I love it! Very Happy
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Female Posts : 2460

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 8:09 pm

Thank you, Dream! Smile
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/17/2009, 8:41 pm

You're welcome!
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 9:05 pm

While 20Q is on, I think I'm going to work on Chapter 1. Wink
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/17/2009, 9:21 pm

Awesome! Yay! Can't wait. Very Happy
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 9:38 pm

I'm gonna give out a little--
I've got a theme song for Chapter 1,
And it's "Kern River," by Merle Haggard.
Makes me feel evil... Twisted Evil Yet it's not gonna be at the same time!
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/17/2009, 9:40 pm

Haha nice! You should use it as the beginning quote! xD Unless you're not using them but if you are that would be cool!
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 9:52 pm

Originally I was thinking that, but I was hoping it wouldn't be considered copying, 'cause I saw it on DL's story.
Although, I also saw it in Fever 1793...
Eh, I'll put up quotes, and if someone accuses me of copying I'll just take 'em off and put up the songs alone, Very Happy
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/17/2009, 10:01 pm

Haha nice. It's not considered copying because technically anything you put up, someone already wrote! xP I have them in my story, Beneath the Waves anyways.
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2009, 10:04 pm

xP I suppose so...
Ooh! I'll make sure to check it out, tonight or t'morrow. Wink
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/17/2009, 10:17 pm

Awesome! Thanks!
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/18/2009, 12:44 am

Guess what? I'm able to get in the first part of Chapter 1! Smile

Chapter 1

"One night in the moonlight, the swiftness swept her life away, and now I live on Lake Shasta"
Kern River, Merle Haggard, 1985, from the album Kern River.

Katherine Aria Rhill!” shouted a lady’s voice, not too high, but her shout was loud enough to break down the door.

Katie was in her room, still fast asleep, but when her mom’s bellow reached her ears, in two swift movements sat up and stood up on her bed, taking up a second of time; this was a bad habit of hers whenever someone shouted at her, to stand up. This, along with her low blood pressure, made her knees knock, and made her fall over, thankfully not hitting the backboard. Her sight was obscured by dark grey clouds, with faded but colorful stars sparkling in front of them, and a high pitch bell was ringing in her ear, as if it were the whizzing of the balls of gas.

Mom!” Katie whined. “Don’t do that to me!”

The door opened, light flooding into her room. This didn’t help her sight return.

“I keep forgetting that,” sighed Miss Rhill, hoping this would pass by as an apology. “Katie, it’s your first day of school, and it may be four in the morning in California, but now it’s six twenty here. Get up.”

Six twenty in the morning already? Katie thought as she gradually regained control of her eyesight. She batted her eyelids rapidly, and glanced toward the door, only to find it ajar, with no one else around. Katie sat up, and blinked one more timeto see her bedroom. With a yawn she turned to the side of her bed and stepped out, giving her the opportunity to stretch out her arms. Her legs led her to the nearby mirror, in which Katie got a good overview of herself. Bushy red hair, silver eyes with a blue-violet crescent beneath each, tan skin, full, pale pink lips, all wrapped up in a white sleeping gown. That was Katie when dawn broke out (and she was glad it wasn’t the acne).

Six twenty, Katie reminded herself, and she dropped herself to her knees so she was eye-level with the handles of the top two handles, her gaze able to find four more if it were to drop. After a couple brief minutes, she fit herself into faded bluejeans, and a scarlet tank top. It took just as long to undo the forest her hair had twisted into overnight. Thankfully she’d taken a shower the previous night, saving her the half an hour she needed.

Katie dashed downstairs to find her older brother already awake and in the kitchen. She met his navy blue gaze, and mirrored his forming smile. “Morning, Chess,” she greeted.

“Morning, Sleepyhead,” teased Chester in return with a grin. He chuckled. Chester was pretty opposite to Katie: Thin brown hair spiked out in the front, navy blue eyes, and conscious features, but they both shared skin tones.

Katie rolled her eyes, still smiling. “You’ve been to the CTL before, you’re used to this,” she tried to explain.

“But that’s no excuse,” Chester countered. “I heard your alarm go off, and you slept right through it.” As he spoke, he pointed his index finger at her, and bent it back when he finished.

“But I—!” Katie couldn’t think of a way to fight back. “Touché,” she muttered eventually, and nibbled on the Pop Tart that just jumped out of the toaster. Her left eye lifted to the top left corner of its sight range, and caught a clock. “Is it really six thirty-five?” she asked with disbelief, but her jaw hung low.

“I said you were a sleepyhead,” Chester brought up again, serious unlike before. “If you need to you can have that while you’re in the car.”

This captured her attention. The teenager looked back up. “In the car?” she repeated.

Chester nodded. “Yes, in the car,” he confirmed. “Mom’s already left for work, and word is the bus is nastier than the moss we’d find on some of those Redwood trees.”

A tingle rattled in the center of her spine at the thought. “Oh,” she said softly. Katie glanced at her hand to find her Pop Tart had disappeared. She ate faster than a vacuum whenever she felt rushed. “Thanks. That saves my stomach.”

Her older brother laughed, “No problem,” before heading towards the door. “Slip on your flip-flops, or whatever you wear, we need to go now if we’re going to make it.”

“Right,” mumbled Katie with a nod of her head, sticking her feet into a high pair of creamy yellow sandals. Shefollowed Chester out of the house, into the garage, and from there, beneath the hood of hissilver Kia Spectra 2009, soon rolling along the concrete roads to school.[/font]
☼ ~ ☼
Find Part 2 of this Chapter on Post 24!

Last edited by Cyn431 on 8/9/2009, 4:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/18/2009, 1:15 am

Awesome! I love the new chapter Cyn. xD
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/18/2009, 8:22 am

Awesome job! Very Happy

And yeah, I don't think anyone can really get mad for the beginning quotes. XD Inkheart has them too, and I've written a story with them, and so has Newms, and lots of other peeps.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 1312☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 2412☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 3349☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 3548☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/18/2009, 11:33 am

Thanks Dream! Smile That's only part 1, though, I've got plans for part two that I've yet to put in words, *nods*

Thanks, Shadow! Very Happy
Kay, works for me; so there's your story, Newms, DL's, Dream's, Inkheart, Mine, Fever 1793... Wow. xD More than I thought there were.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/18/2009, 12:55 pm

Awesome! Can't wait! But I have to. . . . xP
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/18/2009, 1:20 pm

Yesh, you have ta wait a lil' while as I type out my quick little tragedy. Very Happy Sorry my typing is a little slow due to 1 v. 100, xD
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 7/18/2009, 2:48 pm

Awesome! xD
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/19/2009, 2:42 pm

Actually, this chapter is longer than I thought... There might be three parts... Shocked I did not anticipate this. xD
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/19/2009, 5:37 pm

Part 2 of Chapter 1

The first day of school for Katie wasn’t the greatest experience ever. P.E. was the beginning of her every-other-day routine, and that as the first class is never a good thing because not only would not changing fast enough get you tardy for your next class, but perfume was not allowed (although there was always the option to break the rules and sneak some in, but Katie wasn’t a rule breaker), and the only deodorant she had wasn’t strong enough to last an hour.

Either that or I’m not putting enough on, she’d thought to herself when she changed out after running, grimacing at the stick sitting inside her locker.

Two electives came after, hers being Spanish and Band, and those were pretty neutral. Lunch was where the interaction started.

“So, you came in from California?” asked a voice, obviously a girl’s, but lower than the others she’d heard. Katie nodded, and glanced up from her brown lump of “Mystery Meat” to meet a distinct set of plum eyes which, despite their shadowy hue, radiated a bright personality.

“Why do you ask?” Katie queried, her eyes tracking the girl’s moves carefully as she sat herself down with her lunch box.

“Well, you know California,” she said vaguely, unzipping the pink and black box. “LA, celebrities…”

Katie shook her head, a few strands of carrot-top red tickling her blushed cheeks. “Maybe that’s what you think when you hear California,” she started. “But you know what California makes me think?”

“What’s more to California than celebrities?” the questioner continued, brushing a wavy black hair behind her ear. She may have been Punk-Goth, but the style was beautiful on her—whoever she was.

The red-head glanced from side to side, to see if anyone was listening in. Even with no one staring, someone could easily pick out her words, so for extra caution she leaned forward and whispered, “Fire.”

“Fire?” repeated the girl, ruining Katie’s secrecy with her dynamic tone.

"Yes, fire,” Katie recurred, reaching down into her tote to grab a picture to corroborate. She showed her the bright orange mass of heat, crippling apart green leaves and dark wood into black strips of debris.

Her dark lips parted, and then closed, as if she’d lost her words. There were a few moments of silence as the two began to eat, and Katie broke the silence with her name as she tucked the picture into an inner pocket of the tote bag on the ground.

“Phoebe,” she introduced herself with a nod. One maroon eye lifted to the nearby digital clock. “There’s about a minute left,” she noted. “Do you live nearby the stream that goes into the lake that keeps leaking every summer?”

Katie nodded, eventually understanding. “Want to meet there sometime?"

“Tonight at seven?”

“Deal.”

A bell rang, indicating lunch was over. “Oh, well, got to go, see ya,” she assumed before packing up her things and heading off to her next class. To her luck, Katie didn’t pick up the final words she muttered as she walked off.

Algebra went by so fast it was hard to remember even taking it. Part of it might have been because Katie was the first one to dart out of the room and head for her final class, today being Language Arts. That class, too, breezed by as if it never happened. Before she knew it she was home, dinner already eaten, and seven o’ clock at night.

“At this hour?” Chester questioned when Katie had told him she was going to go out to the stream.

“It’s still light out.” This wasn’t the greatest comeback for ‘at this hour,’ but Katie didn’t have much else to say.

Chester shrugged. “Alright, just stay safe,” he sighed. “Take your phone with you. I’ll stay here working on my paper.” The college student spun his chair around to face his laptop, and resumed his typing.

Katie buried her red Blackberry Curve in the bottom of her jean pocket before heading out for the walk to the stream. From her house, it only took about five minutes to reach it. When she did arrive at the rivulet, the time on her phone read seven-ten.

“I wonder where Phoebe is,” she murmured to herself after ten more minutes passed. She chose to wander along the bank in case Phoebe was waiting for her at a different part of the stream. On the way, Katie didn’t find her friend, but noticed three other things.

The first thing Katie became aware of was the uncanny sense of being watched from behind. After that, she saw her mother sitting with the tips of her shoes tapping the water, arms wrapped around knees pulled up under her chin. Katie knew her mom usually didn’t come home until after seven thirty, so why was she here? Finally, she saw there was a better way to describe this line of water: Torrent.

“Mom…?” called Katie cautiously, approaching her at a slower pace than she normally would. All of the circumstances made the scene completely untrustworthy.

One wrong step towards the parent slipped her foot into the rushing water. Katie yelped in surprise, and shot both hands at the biggest rock she could find nearby, grasping to it as tightly as she could. Even though only her knees down were in the water, the rapids were strong enough to carry Katie’s light body away if she let go. Her knuckles quickly paled when a more powerful current struck the damp denim. The force did not weaken. Katie closed her silver eyes, not sure how long her feeble hands could last. She knew if she surrendered to the gushing stream, she wouldn’t be able to swim strong enough to get a hand on the shore for a safe amount of time. Her fingers loosened—

Katie had expected to be enveloped by water, the rush of being swept away, sharp turns of flow, and maybe even a bump against a rock. Instead she was on grass (she could tell by scent), taking in deep breaths of oxygen, hands limp but strengthening, and the sound of crashing waves faded in the background. Warily she pulled her eyelids up to allow her vision to work.

“Mum?” she said softly through her pale pink lips.

“Sorry I waited so long,” replied a voice completely foreign to Katie’s ears. Her eyes shot as far to the right as she could, and then up. Nobody was there.

Katie found the strength to sit up, and realized she was completely dry and sitting a few yards from the end of the sidewalk. More specifically it was the one she walked upon to go to the stream. She also took note of the sky. A sigh of relief escaped Katie when she felt her phone safe inside her jean pocket. She frowned at the time: seven thirty. Would half an hour of away time concern Chester? Hopefully it wouldn’t.

As Katie stood and began the journey back home, the subject of who had pulled her out of danger buzzed in her mind, along with the strangely mellifluous voice.

Last edited by Cyn431 on 8/9/2009, 6:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/20/2009, 9:33 am

OMG. XD That's confusing . . . great job, though!
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 1312☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 2412☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 3349☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 3548☼ Burning Time ☼ Cyn's Unfinished Story ☼ Part 2 of Chapter 1 Added ☼ 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next