The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added

4 posters

Go down

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added Empty Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added

Post by Mordor 5/23/2010, 1:32 am

Becoming Fiction

{-}

{This story is based on a place I have visited. It is completely fiction and has nothing to do with where I live, or where someone I know lives. --Thanks}

Chapter one

One minute there were three, ordinary middle schoolers looking at a tree. Two minutes, they were gone.
No crack.
No blast of light.
No hovercraft from Mars.
Just a single bracelet left behind.

“Mia!” the girl called, scowling crossly at the cracked up sidewalk beneath her feet. Dandelions and other weeds were poking their way through the cracks. She bent down slowly, pulling it up from its roots in the cement. It smelled strangely, unlike other weeds but before she could get another whiff of the ugly flower, the girl sneezed. Thus, making her more irritable than before she had so much as glanced at the gray ground.
“Wat?” Mia, the previously missing person appeared at the first girl’s side, carrying a textbook in her mouth and a messenger bag slung sloppily over one shoulder.
“You’re late,” she snapped, tugging the history book out of Mia’s mouth. “And so is Carter. He said he’d be here twenty minutes ago.”
“Soph, you’re being overdramatic. We can still make it to Folly. You know, if we hurry.”
“Of course,” said the first girl, Sophie, with exaggerated patience.
“Yep, oh look, here he comes.”

Carter, a friend of Sophie’s, and a restless enemy if Mia’s, come forward looking strained, as if he wanted to punch something, preferably Mia, but hat to refrain from doing so.
“’Sup?” he asked Sophie casually, but knew that he’d gotten himself in trouble with her for being later.
“The sky,” Mia replied for her, not too darkly.
“Shut up, both of you.” Sophie grabbed her bike and motioned for the others to do the same. They obliged, however, she knew it was simply because Mia had used her usually up kept stock of insults on Carter the days before, and had nothing else to call him.

“Where’re we going, again?” he asked quietly, mounting his black bike quickly.
“On the isle of Nuya,” Mia started, resisted the obvious urge to cackle, “Nuya business.”
The first girl heaved a sigh, and kicked off in front of the other two, watching Mia peddle quickly to get in front of Carter. Friend rivalry.
Moultrie Middle School, the trio’s public school they went to, faded into the background of the small island, as the two latter friends made a great effort to keep up with the leading biker.
After all, Sophie’s mom had been devoid of a vehicle after she crashed it, so Sophie had to bike to school and back every day, and needless to be said, was an excellent biker.
“C’mon, keep up, slackers!” She yelled over the roar of traffic. The Cooper Bridge loomed in the short distance, and since it was about 3.0 miles, more or less, allowed a short break before urging Carter back on his bike. Her specialty, vivid green colored bike gleamed dangerous in the sun. It was noon, the sun at its highest point; Moultrie had allowed them a half-day of school that had, by no means, been planned. The principle had felt extremely generous as his son had just been excepted to MIT, has scheduled the half-day, after a short notice approving call from the County School District.

Now, Carter and Mia had been forced along to a trip Sophie had been itching to make: a trip to the Angel Oak tree, on James Island. It was about a forty-five minute car ride, so on bikes it would take them about an hour and a half. Hopefully, it would prove to be an easy journey, although all three of them knew the Copper Bridge was steep. “Let’s go, let’s go,” Sophie blew the whistle that she had miraculously found in her schoolbag, and started picking up speed; you couldn’t peddle like a turtle on a bridge. You had to keep up the momentum or you’d slide right back down. Carter had a perfect imitation of what it would hear like if that happened. Much to Mia’s dislike, he continued to make the disgusting, grunting, crashing noise several times over in the half hour they were on the bridge.

“I’m dying,” Mia moaned, tottering dangerously on the bike. They had, after all, crossed the last bridge and were officially on James Island.
“Yeah, that ride through Charleston was terrible. Worse than last time, anyway.”
Sophie smirked; they had actually agreed on something. “’Kay, guys, we still have a few more miles before we get there. But it’s an easy ride; a few curvy roads, no more bridges and we can get a call a taxi back; I don’t think Carter’s up for the ride back.”

They made it to the oak partially unscathed, with three spare before closing times.
“Wow,” Sophie said softly looking at the giant oak in front of her.

Index

Chapter one - page one, post one
Chapter two - page one, post six

Last edited by Mordor on 6/12/2010, 12:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Mordor
Mordor
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Female Posts : 2069

Back to top Go down

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added Empty Re: Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added

Post by shadowsowner888 5/23/2010, 8:42 am

This seems very interesting! :3 I wanna read more.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 1312Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 2412Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 3349Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 3548Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added Empty Re: Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added

Post by iGeek 5/24/2010, 9:35 am

Seems interesting! Smile I can't wait to read more.
iGeek
iGeek
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Female Posts : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 5/24/2010, 10:58 am

This seems interesting! (The only problem is every time I see 'Mia' or 'Sophie', I think of Mia and Sophie from... well, here. xD)
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordor 5/26/2010, 7:16 pm

Interesting, I take it, is a good thing. Smile
Thanks guys, I'm working on chapter two.

(o.O . . . I never thought of that, Ari. xD)
Mordor
Mordor
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordor 5/27/2010, 9:48 pm

Chapter two

“Oooh!” Mia exclaimed in mock awe. She had put her hands on her cheeks, her mouth making an o.
She dropped her hands; “A tree. Big whoop.”
Carter was inclined to agree.
“Fine,” snapped Sophie, losing her very narrow stream of patience. “If you didn’t want to look at the stupid tree maybe you shouldn’t have come along.”
No snide remark from Mia, instead Carter walked up to the tree, sizing up a larger knot in the base of the trunk, two feet above his head. “Mia? What does this look like to you?”
“Your face,” she said immediately, striding over to him. At a second glance she frowned. “Nah, it’s too small to be your head. It kind of looks like a portal.”
“A portal?” Sophie asked, still seething.
“Yep—oh, what’s that,” Mia stood on her tip toes, peering into the gouge. “Hey, Carter, gimme a boost.”
Extremely reluctantly, he oblige (seeing Sophia glare), lacing his hands together for her to step up on.
Mia hopped on is foot, and with the other, braced it against the tree. Then three things happened.
Carter’s features split into a grin as he pushed her feet upward; Mia screamed; she fell through the hole in the tree.

“Aaaah!” Mia shrieked, shocking herself at how loud it the scream was. Then she hit the ground with a thud. If you could call it ground; it was a swirling green pool of slimelike substance. She scrambled around in it, and hurled herself at another know on the left side of the pool. Mia gasped; fresh air, then felt herself falling, and felt the impact of the ground in her face. She was faintly aware of a shriek from Sophie, and a “ouch” from Carter. That jerk.
“MIA!” Sophie darted over to her, shooting a venomous look at Carter. “What the heck happened?”
Carter walked up to them, “Here, you left this.” He tossed Mia a small black threaded bracelet.
“Ooh, thanks,” she inspected it before slipping it on her wrist, then she glanced up at Sophie.
“We could be overhead, I think they have cameras. C’mon, let’s get out of here.” Mia, not registering Carter and Sophie’s exchanged glance, led the way to the parking lot where she untied her bike from a post. “Look,” Mia started quietly, “I dunno—I’m not sure what happened . . .” so she recalled what had happened.
“Not possible, you must’ve been hallucinating.” Carter just wanted an excuse for Mia to be crazy.
“Well,” the other said hesitantly, “I don’t think you were imagining it, but really Mia, it does sound a bit farfetched.”
She narrowed her eyes, “I’m not lying.”
Sophie was quick to recover; “No, no! No, I don’t think you’re lying . . . it just sounds like Alice in Wonderland.”
Carter snorted. “I don’t know what happened. I just know he,” she shot him a look, “pushed me in and I fell. You call that farfetched?”
“Fine, maybe it’s just some weird tree sap.” Sophie raised her hands in surrender, although, while Mia looked satisfied, she was positive it was the farthest thing from tree sap.
Mordor
Mordor
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/28/2010, 5:03 pm

Haha, weird tree sap? xD Sure it is.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 1312Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 2412Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 3349Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 3548Becoming Fiction --Chapter three added 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordor 6/12/2010, 12:00 am

xD

Chapter Three

“We should,” she said confidentially.
“Don’t you think this won’t work?” A note of disbelief in the voice.
“No, Carter, I don’t.”
“Mia’s skeptical,” he said pointedly.
“I don’t care,” she said in a too-calm voice.
No reply.

“Sophie, are we going?” Mia had her arms folded, sick of listening to her and Carter argue.
“Yes, we are if Carter will dish in money for the taxi.”
“Look, I get ten bucks a week, I don’t have money for a taxi.” Carter had waved a feeble ten dollar bill around, as if he didn’t have any more money than that.
“But how long have you been saving up?” Mia narrowed her eyes stubbornly.
“Carter, hand over a twenty and we’ll say this is settled.” Sophie leaned against Mia’s basement door
—where they had been meeting, and debating about going back to the tree—so he couldn’t get out.
He did but not too willingly. “Okay, we have forty bucks. That should get us there and back, unless it’s more, of course.”

They took the taxi to James Island, getting off right in front of entrance to the Angel Oak tree.
“This tree is more impressive when it’s darker,” said Mia. She had jogged along the base of the tree, looking for the large knot that she had fell into. “Here’s the Portal.”
“Why are you calling it a Portal?” Carter leaned against the tree, frowning skeptically.
“’Cause that’s what it is, Carter. It’s a Portal to who knows where. But that’s what where here for, right? Are we gonna just gawk at it until they kick us out or are we gonna go through it?”
“Go through it? We haven’t brought any supplies!”
“So? When has that every stopped you from acting irrationally?”
“Guys,” Sophie broke in, starting to pace. “We hide, wait until dark, and then we go through. My parents think I’m at a friend’s two-day sleepover; that’s how much time we have.”

Waiting in the dark for two hours seemed to take two days, but when they finally emerged not a single car was parked, no animals, just a few extremely vocal birds.
“It’s dark, almost nine, let’s do it.” Mia crept out from their hiding place, moving slowly around the cameras blind spots. It looked like a weird dance involving complicated body contortions, but the humor was not as apt when there’s the threat of getting caught and spending the night in Juvie looming over their heads, and that branch. “Ow! Oh, and make sure you duck under that limb.”
The other two followed, doing their odd little dances and coming up to stand next to her.

The trio exchanged a glance, and finally Sophie was the one to break the silence.
“Let’s do this thing.” She instructed Carter to boost her up and she slipped through the hole in the tree, Mia shoving her feet in after her. Sophie gasped when she seen the shimmering ooze and, finding a foot hole in the side of the tree, helped Mia slide through. Then the two girls dragged Carter in, panting with the effort. “’Kay, guys, jump on the count of three.” Sophie took Mia’s hand, and much to her dislike, Mia grasped Carter’s hand in a death grip. “One . . . three!”
And so they jumped.
Mordor
Mordor
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/13/2010, 7:02 pm

Cliffhanger! :O The horror!

Can't wait to see what happens next. applause
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordor 6/20/2010, 10:33 pm

I <3 Cliffhangers! xD
Mordor
Mordor
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down