The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Untitled

3 posters

Go down

Untitled Empty Untitled

Post by twilighter3000 7/23/2010, 7:00 pm

Prologue

I watched as glistening snowflakes floated gently to the ground, leaving tiny water droplets on the windshield. I pressed my forehead against the smooth leather of the steering wheel, inhaling deeply. The smell of new car overwhelmed me; it almost smelled like someone had put a pine air freshener in the car, but much, much better.

But I had other things awaiting me, so with a sigh I pushed myself forward, opened the door, and stepped outside into the shimmering world. My boots crunched on the firmly packed snow and sunk a few inches. Shaking off the dusting of white powder that had already been to coat my hair, I dislodged my feet from the shallow holes and crossed the empty parking lot.

As I approached the bland, uninteresting business building, I pulled out my letter. “This letter is the answer to everything.” I thought, and my pace quickened immediately. “As soon as he reads it, everything will be okay.” I continued in my head, trying to console myself. “It’ll be just fine.”

But somewhere in the back of my head I knew this wasn’t true. It would take a lot more than just a simple letter to convince him, but hey, I had to start somewhere, didn’t I? I took a deep breath, shoved the envelope addressed to Adam Facinelli through the metal mail slot, and walked back across the snow covered parking lot, boots crunching the entire time.

Chapter 1

I winced as the car door slammed, leaving behind a ringing in my ears. Today has been a very long day, I thought to myself. I sighed, and watch as my breath turned white and frost in the air. I sighed again as I longed for the hot, sunny days of summer to be back, along with the long, relaxing days of doing nothing.
“What are you sighing about over there girly?” My best friend Rachel demanded.
“Summer.” I said, keeping it simple. I knew she’d understand.
“Ohhhh.” She said, and huffed out a sigh through pursed lips as though she were smoking a cigarette. She ten laughed, puffing out her cheeks and blowing out more air as hard as she could.
Rachel Bounty; you had to love her. She had a way of always making you smile, even when you were dead on your feet like I was at the moment.
“I swear Rach,” I said teasingly, “sometimes it’s like you’re 5 instead of 17!”
This was an ongoing debate between us; she wanted to hold on to her childhood, whereas I was foaming at the mouth to move on; a horse ready to charge at the sound of the whistle.
“Gotta live while ya can.” She said, and began spinning around the parking lot in dizzying circles.
I stuck my tongue out at her, laughing. Simple moments like this almost made me forget about the looming prospect that was college. While I was excited to be on my own and finally away from my overbearing parents, I wasn’t stupid enough to believe that college would be easy. I’d done all the planning I could; I was practically a regular at the school’s counselor’s office, I’d been saving up my measly paychecks from my job at Eddy’s Burgers ever since freshman year, knew how I wanted my dorm room decorated, and what I wanted to major in. I’d done everything possible to be ready—Ready for my new life. My parents tried to help, but their idea of college involved living at home with them, taking political science classes, and staying away from all types of boys. So, therefore, I was on my own.
“Hellooo?” Earth to Sam? Calling all Sams!”
I jumped, shaking my head; I must have zoned out again.
“Geez Sam, when you go off into la la land, you really are out of it—Your eyes like glaze over and everything!” Rachel said, laughing.
“Sorry!” I said, joining in the laughter.
“Let’s get going, I think my fingers are starting to turn blue.” I teased, grabbing the end of her fuzzy purple scarf and tugged on it as I ran through the snow that was lightly falling once again.

“What do you think of this one, Sam?” Rachel asked, holding up a pale gray top for my inspection.
“It looks cute. How much does it cost?” I asked, sure that whatever it was, it would be too much.
“Sam! Why can’t you at least try it on before you start worrying about the price? I mean, I would try it on, but gray is so not my color and you know it.” Rachel said, pouting.
“Rach, I don’t see why you can’t wear gray—I think it makes you look more mature and sophisticated.” I said, exasperated as she stuck out her tongue. “And because I want to make sure I can pay for it before I completely fall in love with it and then be heart broken when I don’t have enough.” I continued.
“Oh Sam. When will you learn?” Rachel said in a teasingly sad voice. “Shopping isn’t about being practical—It’s about wanting something then buying it!” She finished, laughing.
I rolled my eyes, and then took the shirt from her, rubbing my fingers over the soft, cashmere-like material. Definitely expensive. But I sighed and started making my way over to the dressing room.
I pulled the heavy blue velvet curtain across the dressing room’s door and tugged my worn Mariah Carey t-shirt over my head, tossing it on the glossy tile.
Pulling the shirt off the plastic hanger, I yanked it over my head and adjusted the way it sat on my waist. I sighed. It really is cute…
The curtain in my hand, I began to pull it back to show Rach, where I was sure she was waiting with a smug smile.
“That really is very cute on you Sam.”
I froze.
“I’m sorry, did I startle you?” The voice continued in its animatronic, smooth voice, reminding me of an answering machine’s pre-programmed message.
I continued to stay frozen where I was, with one hand on the curtain. There was no way that voice was really coming from my head, I thought, it must be some sort of prank.
“Sam? How long does it take for you to put on a shirt?” Rachel called impatiently from the other side of the curtain, and I jumped.
“Sorry!” I called, pushing back the curtain, arranging my face into what I hoped looked like a normal expression.
“Oh my gosh!” Rachel squealed, “I was so right! It’s the perfect color and style on you!”
I shrugged, still preoccupied, and her face fell.
“Don’t you think it’s like, perfect?” She asked, then said, “oh no, Sam! You didn’t check the price before trying it on, did you?”
I choked out a laugh.
“No, of course not, Rach, I’m just thinking.”
“About getting the shirt, I hope?” Rachel said, grinning.
“Of course Rachel, of course.” I said, turning to go back into the dressing room, my feet sticking to the cold tile.

I'm going to change the prologue soon to correspond with the rest of the story. Wink

Last edited by twilighter3000 on 7/24/2010, 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
twilighter3000
twilighter3000
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Female Posts : 4701

Back to top Go down

Untitled Empty Re: Untitled

Post by Smalltownwriter 7/23/2010, 10:06 pm

Cool, continue!
Smalltownwriter
Smalltownwriter
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Female Posts : 155

http://nightowl2911.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by twilighter3000 7/24/2010, 6:42 pm

Thanks!! Smile I'll finish the first chapter as soon as I can and put it up here! Wink
twilighter3000
twilighter3000
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Smalltownwriter 7/24/2010, 7:19 pm

Ok awesome! Can't wait:) cheers
Smalltownwriter
Smalltownwriter
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Female Posts : 155

http://nightowl2911.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by twilighter3000 7/24/2010, 8:58 pm

Smile
twilighter3000
twilighter3000
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Back to top Go down

Post by twilighter3000 7/24/2010, 9:02 pm

Okay, I posted what I have so far of chapter 1! Smile I'm not sure whether to add more or not since it's kinda short, but I'm not sure what to write about... Razz
twilighter3000
twilighter3000
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Smalltownwriter 7/24/2010, 9:15 pm

Oh it's awesome! Keep writing!!! Cool
Smalltownwriter
Smalltownwriter
Short Short Maker