The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars

+5
Dragon Lover
Horsey
shadowsowner888
Rai
Cyn431
9 posters

Go down

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Empty cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 2:42 pm

Normally I'd go ahead and show you a playlist, but considering BBCode is still off (have we hit the thirty hour mark yet on the conversion?), I can't really do that. But I can provide a YouTube link, 'cause those still work, judging off of a few of my other posts.

So... Hm. Well, I guess it's only fair to give a link to the song in the title. It's the clean version, no worries, it muted the sole swear word in it. Anyway, here is the official music video that I absolutely can't stand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6-c223DUU

This is where I start ranting. Agree or not, it's opinion. You can skip down until you see a bunch of underscores if you don't want to read this, though.

Lately I've been hearing a lot of complaints and compliments towards this pop hit which has been used as a song in the commercials for the movie /Charlie St. Cloud/. After reading around YouTube comments even further, I think I've snapped, and I need to type out my thoughts.

While I do enjoy the song myself, as it's one of the better pop rap songs out there right now, I don't think people need to be obsessing over it. Even though I don't go on Facebook myself anymore/yet, I've heard this song is all over people's statuses, like they're finding their soul in this song or something. That's just going too far. A song may be good, but none of them are good enough to do /that/.

I also agree with the little bit of the complaining side. Most of the rap parts done by main artist B.o.B. are stupid, just like most rap songs. If he doesn't want any of the party jazz, he doesn't have to go. Unless it has something to do with an agent arranging all this stuff and he has no say in it, then I /might/ give him a little bit of slack, but that doesn't forgive him from the rest of the stupidity of the rapping. Oh, and last I checked, Eminem had no affiliation with this song, so don't throw anything at him because you're being tortured by the rap.

I want to focus this rant more on the main title lines that people bash on the most: ♪ Can we pretend that airplanes in the sky are like shooting stars? / I could really use a wish right now. ♫ Please disregard the young and gleeful from this categorization, as they tend to be scattered amongst the two I'll be creating.

This song—or rather, just the chorus of it—should be/is loved for the same reason that many mature men and women nationwide love Spongebob. One might wonder, what is a middle-aged man doing laughing himself to tears over a show that is rated TV-Y7? Many adults are stressed with all of their troubles, whether it be financial, social, romantic, family, or something else. Very few of those troubles can be solved in fifteen minutes or less. These people can get a spark of hope when they see Spongebob Squarepants and all of his goofy friends getting into shenanigans that they usual hop right out of ten minutes later, which is nearly impossible to do in the real world. People think when they watch that maybe their lucky day will come around, and one of their problems will be that simple to solve. They find /hope/.

The same thing happens in that line of Airplanes. Almost everyone knows shooting stars are just meteorites, or sometimes just meteors, burning up in the ozone layer, showing a flicker of light in the night sky. And almost everyone knows it's nothing special to see one of countless meteorites incinerate in midair, so why should a wish on it matter at all? Airplanes are obviously more common, and still show a little light up in the sky, and they soar like a meteorite being pulled down by gravity. If one pretends that the airplane they saw was one of those burning meteorites, and they make a wish on it, they can at least get a small flicker of hope.

And so what if it's a helicopter or a UFO or some other thing flying in the sky? We're freaking pretending, for Goodness' sake! Maybe MFOs (man-made flying objects) have no relations to dying meteorites (which I disproved in the paragraph above), but hey, there's nothing wrong with /pretending/. Now, here's something: four year olds truly have nothing in common whatsoever with airplanes, but they can still PRETEND to be an airplane; just watch Sesame Street. Four year olds may not actually be airplanes, but it gives them hope that one day they might be able to fly; airplanes might not actually be meteorites, but people can at least have hope that /maybe/ their wish will come true if they replace the common dying meteorite with an even more common airplane. We need something to hope for! Can't we have fun anymore?

Unfortunately, there's a group of people that are so troubled that all of their hope and faith has ran out. They can't appreciate playing pretend or anything fun. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. These are the kind of people that go around on YouTube comments for Airplanes, Spongebob and other things, bashing them by calling them stupid. "Nobody can solve a problem in ten minutes, this is bull." "NO, you CANNOT make a wish out of an AIRPLANE, that's RETARDED, d-bags." "If you like this you're stupid." It's people like them that can't let a wisher be a wisher, a dreamer be a dreamer, a kid be a kid, or any of that jazz.

How about we throw that all away. Even without those two different groups, there's a certain word in this that makes the line invincible from being dubbed incorrect: can. You /can/ do anything. Anything at all. I can pretend this window was an orange and start sucking on it if I wanted to. I can pretend the sink is a book and I can start trying to read it. I can pretend my dad's guitar is a keyboard and I can try to type on it. I can pretend an airplane is a shooting star (or rather, a burning meteorite) and make a wish on it. All of those are equally true statements, and nobody's stopping me from seeing them through.

To put it shortly: the hopeless hate 'em while the hopeful can relate. Regardless, anything is possible.

Let's move on to something else, but only DE people would really get it, unless you've read some of my older blogs. Yesterday I was eating lunch in my kitchen, and I saw one of my puppies trying to toss around a towel. I'd seen her do this before, like she was trying to straighten it out or something. Still, being the puppy loving person I am, I just had to ask her what she was doing. I opened my mouth to address her by her name, being Tootsie, but something else came out instead.

Leon.

And then I tried to speak again, and I said Smokie, the name of my cat. Finally I just groaned and gave up.

What was that all about? I don't think I was even thinking about the Dragon Emporium at the time, or my cat. So yeah, that kind of freaked me out the rest of the day. o.O For those of you thinking this means Crystal chose Leo (gyah, now this sounds like my role-play characters is The Bachelorette. -.-), you thought wrong. My brain shouldn't have any influence on what Crystal chooses to do with her love life. ._.

My dad went to Aldi recently and got me a Simply Guitar learn how to play DVD class and book. ^^ I'm happy now. 'Cause as soon as I'm done typing this, and after I retype my form for The Devil's Serenade, I'm going to start opening things and learning. Or at least those are my intentions.

Speaking of The Devil's Serenade... I just wanted to say that I really think you should join if you like the supernatural that has almost no relation to Twilight. Kay thanks bai.

Why not toss out a few questions while I'm at it?

1. Are/Will you (be) part of The Devil's Serenade?
2. Do you play guitar?
3. When does school start for you?
4. Mr. Scatterbrain got sick. D: I don't know what get well gift to give him!

Toodles,

—| Cyn
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Empty Re: cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars

Post by Rai 7/28/2010, 4:23 pm

*applauds*
I need that little clappy emoticon right now! D:
Anyways, this was very well said. I like the chorus of the song, since I'm not much for rap, but do I bash the rapper in the video? No. Because, honestly, it's not worth my time. Why would I want to go to a song I don't like and say mean things, when I can choose a song that I like, and listen to it? That makes me happy. So does making other people angry make the bashers happy? I don't know. xP

Anyhoozle, just wanted to say this was awesome. (:

----
1. Are/Will you (be) part of The Devil's Serenade? Yep, I am! :D
2. Do you play guitar? Yep, I do! :D
3. When does school start for you? August... 28th? I don't know. XD This is why I still have my parents. ;D
4. Mr. Scatterbrain got sick. D: I don't know what get well gift to give him! A LIVE CHICKEN, YOU IDIOT! DON'T YOU KNOW THAT'S THE BEST PRESENT TO GIVE TO ANYONE/THING? D:<

XD jaykayyy. ;)
(:
Rai
Rai
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1321

Back to top Go down

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Empty Re: cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 4:48 pm

1. I'm really tempted to join, it sounds amazing, but idk if I have time. XD
2. :3 Yeah, but not very skillfully. XD
3. Probably around the end of September. *shrug*
4. Can we give him this book I have next to me? It's apparently called Diary of a Wimpy Kid . . .
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 1312cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 2412cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 3349cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 3548cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsey 7/28/2010, 4:54 pm

1. Are/Will you (be) part of The Devil's Serenade? I might join
2. Do you play guitar? Yep!
3. When does school start for you? Like...August 30th or something
4. Mr. Scatterbrain got sick. D: I don't know what get well gift to give him! Give him the universe
Horsey
Horsey
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Obsessed with Naruto.
Gotta problem with that?
Didn't think so x]
Female Posts : 620

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 5:08 pm

@Ra Ra: Thanksies. :3 I was just hoping this wouldn't be too... offensive. 'Cause I got more passionate as I went along.
And I miss the clapping emoticon too. D:

1. Awesome! =D
2. Cool!
3. Haha, good point there. I do a lot of school business myself.
4. :O I had no idea. I must be going dumbly numb... or numbly dumb?

@Muffin:
1. Understandable. xD
2. You sound good in your videos, though! ^^
3. Lucky. :O
4. He'd probably love that book!

@Izzy:
1. It's funnnn.
2. Woo hoo! ;D
3. You is lucky too. d:
4. The universe!! Such a great answer, thank you!
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 5:10 pm

2. Well, good is different than skillful, in a way. XD I mean, if you think I'm good, that's really cool, and I'm glad of that. I just don't know enough to be like some epic dude on stage . . . mostly I just play chords, lol, and simple things like Hey There Delilah.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 1312cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 2412cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 3349cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 3548cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Lover 7/28/2010, 5:39 pm

1. Are/Will you (be) part of The Devil's Serenade?: I am, already! [: Betcha don't remember what my username is. ^_^
2. Do you play
guitar?: I want to so badly. O: I have a guitar, and I have a book, I just need to teach myself.
3. When does school start for you?: August 30th.
4. Mr. Scatterbrain
got sick. D: I don't know what get well gift to give him!: Uhm...I...I don't know. O: You should...hmm...GIVE HIM CHOCOLATE. Because chocolate is amazing, and it can heal even the deepest wounds. ♥
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

MATT II IS MY OLDER BROTHER! =D
Credit to Ave for my amazing siggie. [:
Female Posts : 9059

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 5:44 pm

@Muffin:
2. Well, I'd probably love you to death if you got on stage and played The Spirit of Radio. xD (Look it up if you don't know how it goes.) Hey There Delilah is good too!

@Heatheroo:
1. Something like xbeautifuldreamerx, right? I've been on the site all day, so... *eye roll smiley*
2. We can learn together! ^^
3. Everyone's so luckyyy! 'Cause I have orientation a week from today, and my classes begin /August 17th/. o.e
4. CHOCOLATE! :3 What a splendiferous idea!
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 6:52 pm

2. The Spirit of Radio? XD I'll have to look that one up, indeed.
The cool thing about Hey There Delilah is that I can actually sing it, too. o_O Other songs are too high or low or something . . . so it's really ideal for me.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 7:36 pm

2. Such a great Rush song... !
Well, it's good that you can find multiple conveniences in a song! :3 That song's is almost too low for me to sing. See, I'm the kind of girl that would most definitely go onto the stage to sing the opera part in The Ecstasy of Gold (the Ennio Morricone version, not Metallica's, though I like the latter more) (something else to look up!). I can do any lostprophets song, though. I think.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 8:05 pm

2. Oh, Rush! :3 I bet it'll be cool, then.
xD Lol, yeah, I do have like . . . a lower range. Taylor Swift's songs, in a lot of parts, are too high for me, as an example.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/28/2010, 8:12 pm

Yeah, I had an airplane rant thread in this section too xD
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 410

http://www.lilacxxlauren.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 8:16 pm

@Muffin:
2. It's very cool! =D
Ah, I see. Altos are amazing, though. They're the kind of people that can actually sing really cool stuff 'cause people tend to like lower notes more than higher notes (*pokes Miley Cyrus*). :3 It's us high note people that either get thrown into the opera world or dumped into the eighties. Which I don't particularly mind, but... Um, yeah.

@Dublz:
... Which I happened to read in spite of your warning. ^^; You made valid points on your rant, might I add.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/28/2010, 8:21 pm

Lol. xD yeah I made that same thread on anohter site and peoples began to hate on me D: badbadbad.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 8:27 pm

2. *listening* Oh my. XD This would be challenging on guitar . . . I think I could sing it, though, at least. Just, I'd sound nothing like the original. And I don't even have an electric guitar . . . XD
Lol, I guess that makes sense! XD I never thought of it that way, to be honest . . . to me it was just like, the high people are more talented, and that's it.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/28/2010, 8:29 pm

I'm sad b/c I like to make the questions bold... xD

I need to find out what it is first, don'cha think? XD
2. Do you play guitar?
No. I wish.
Aug. 24
I don't know what a Mr. Scatterbrain is... xD
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 8:45 pm

@Muffin:
2. I can barely play it on GH5 Expert Guitar, and even then I fail roughly. So if it's hard on Guitar Hero, it's murderous in real life. XD Good point on the electric, though. At least you could sing it!
Nah, the high people are just better at, as said earlier, opera and eighties. And screaming. One time my mom said I rock-screamed like Adam Lambert. o_O

@Dublz:
Oh nu! Bad haters! Badbadbad. *slaps haters*

I like that too. D:

1. That would be very important. XD Avvy has a thread on it in here.
3. Everyone starts school so late. :O
4. xD He's the guy that does the rambles on The Scatterbrain Special for typical blogs. But he got sick. o.e
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 8:49 pm

2. o______O Lol, yeah, there's probably not much of a chance of me being able to play guitar /and/ sing it. I could pull off singing, though. XD
Adam Lambert? XDD Is that good or bad?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/28/2010, 8:56 pm

2. Yay for singing! ^^ I agree, performing guitar and vocals simultaneously has got to be difficult. I think the bass part tends to be harder in most Rush songs, though... o.o Even if all but two songs on all Guitar Hero games have easy bass parts.
*shrug* I took it as a compliment, even if my mom had said that after I mocked Danny Gokey's scream session. XDD
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/28/2010, 9:04 pm

2. Well, admittedly, I sometimes cheat . . . in What It's Like to Be Alone, I recorded the guitar and vocals separately. XD It's easier when you're just doing chords, though. If you're actually playing around, doing anything that requires more concentration, that's when it gets hard. But it's even worse on piano.
That's good then, lol! xD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/28/2010, 9:18 pm

I'm not particuarly a fan of the song "Airplanes", but I have nothing against it. -.- I too, get annoyed when I see countless comments bashing it. Chill guys. It's a song....

/1. Are/Will you (be) part of The Devil's Serenade?/

Well, it sounds cool, so I'll check it out....

/2. Do you play guitar?/

Yuppp. Electric, and acoustic.

/3. When does school start for you?/

....I'm not sure?

/4. Mr. Scatterbrain got sick. D: I don't know what get well gift to give him!/

A snuggie! Who wouldn't love a snuggie?
(Newms, you think snuggies are stupid.)
Oh.
Give him a waffle-maker.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by LuckyPenny666 7/29/2010, 9:39 pm

I don't know.
2. Do you play guitar?
Yup. :-)
REALLY EARLY. D: (The middle of August)
Lots of hand sanitizer, preferably the good-smelling shea butter type. :-)
LuckyPenny666
LuckyPenny666
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Twarry Matsuda 7/29/2010, 11:03 pm

1. Part of what? xD Sorry, I've been computer-deprived for a while. D:
2. No. *insert nope smiley here*
3. No idea. xD
4. SPAGHETTI! Very Happy
Mrs. Twarry Matsuda
Mrs. Twarry Matsuda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Siggy cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Siggy cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Siggy cyn's song ... pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars Siggy
Female Posts : 5932

http://role-playemp.roflforum.net/forum.htm - Mine http://role-p

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down