The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The sound of silence

5 posters

Go down

The sound of silence Empty The sound of silence

Post by Jinx 6/10/2009, 10:25 am

Maturity: Uh.Mild language,and glossed over fighting. G.
Fantasy: None
7:50-ish
Mea and Rose's bedroom
Mea woke up.Looking at the drawings on her wall,She managed to to get in a sitting position,and looked at the alarm clock,which was only there to tell time.6:47.Since the clock was roughly an hour behind that meant she had woken up at 7:50-ish.Mea smiled-it was silent in the house which meant that she had woken up first.That way she could get on the computer easily,without worrying about her sisters tattling,or mom catching her.She silently got dressed and descended the staircase,walking through the downstairs hall,and the kitchen.She opened the door to the basement and ran down.The familiar click of a light switch illuminated the basement.Mea ran into her moms office,a room with a cold cement floor.She pushed the ON button,She watched for moment,impatiently then the familiar blue welcome screen popped up.She opened up Firefox,and logged into WI.Checking everything,and rather disappointed with the inactivity,she opened up a tab to browse through her favorite web comics-Off-white,Strays,Evil Diva and Girl Genius.You had to do something while waiting for reply.She cleared private data,exited,and cleared it again.You had to be careful that there was no trace to be discovered.Going up again,Mea grabbed a half-full carton of Egg beaters,Pam,and a microwave safe teacup.She looked at the completed dish ruefully.It was nowhere near as good as real eggs.Shoving it into the the microwave and turning it on,the girl was greeted by the sounds of eight o' clock.Rose,the foremost member of The Furies,had gotten into a fight with the lesser caste,The Vandals.
INTERMISSION
This is gonna take a bit of explaining.I doubt you know who The Furies are.Or about the caste system in my house.In fact,nobody does, 'cept me,of course.Anyway The Furies are what I call my younger sibs Rose and Zu-zana.They generally occupy the living room,or Zu's bedroom.They are 11,and 9.The Vandals,however,consist of the most destructive members of the household (thus the name) Ali and Pug,or Alexandra and Stephen.There usually found in the basement.Ages? 6 and four.You might wonder where I am in the system.I'm a loner,only coming in contact with society for dinner,to end chaos,and to annoy The Furies.
Well,that does it for the intermission.

Annoyed,Mea dashed up the stairs.
"Enough!"She shouted,ramrod straight,with clenched fists.The fight was automatically over,except for a few dirty looks.Rose tried to poke Stephen without her seeing.Raising an eyebrow in her direction,Mea continued.
"Downstairs!"She hissed"Don't want to wake mom up."
The reason for this was the longer mom was asleep,the longer it was until chore time.Rose stormed her way down,Stephen staying warily behind her.
"Alright.Why were you fighting,Rose?"
"Stephen"She replied angrily"Got toothpaste on our bedroom floor.On purpose!"
"That's obvious Rose,but thanks for pointing it out."Mea said this emotionlessly,so as not to provoke her, just deflate her.
"Ok-Stephen! you are consigned to the brig,and Rose,you get to to clean the toothpaste up."

The brig was the person's room,with a guard posted there.I usually filled that spot,just reading,and making sure the person in question didn't leave until the timer went off.As second-in-command I had the authority to do that when one of the adults wasn't able to.

"But he made the mess!It's not fair!"
"You could clean the hall too if you want."She replied,impassively as ever.
After giving her a dark look,Rose went upstairs to clean it,and Mea followed,with Stephen in tow.He was very reluctant,so she just picked him up and dumped him in his room,setting the timer.
After the drama she returned to eating her breakfast in relative peace.

Eleven o' clock
The Stairs
"Everybody front-and-center"shouted Christine Lancaster,otherwise known as mom,announcing to the world that she was awake,and chores had started.With much groaning from Rose, everybody lined up in order of age,below the stairs.
"Alright everybody! It's chore time.Today I want to get the middle floor done,especially the kitchen,Rose."

The kitchen was Rose's special chore,that she had to complete every day.Unfortunately this typically took her three or four days.I personally find this rather annoying,because I can finish the kitchen in a half-an-hour,and it's better then doing the laundry (atleast to me,Rose thinks otherwise).I tried to get our jobs switched,but for unknown reasons,mom refused.
*Sigh...*

Rose saluted
"Yes ma'am!".
Mea gave her a dark look...always so goody-goody in front of mom and dad,and Dark Lady of the Sith when they weren't looking.She'd had a grudge against her pretty much since she was born,ruining her only child life.Rose had shared that ever since she was able to hold a grudge.It was one of the reasons Mea wasn't part of the family society anymore.

3:00
The Black living room
"Ok..That's good enough" Christine said.

The kitchen still wasn't clean,by the way.

"Can we watch T.V. now?"

That was part of routine-when everyone finished cleaning (and when mom gave up on Rose ever cleaning the kitchen),we got to watch television,typically Good eats or something like that.

"Tuck everlasting!"Mea voted (for the 700th time).She was swiftly outvoted by everyone else
"Land of the Lost!"
"Argh..."

Land of the lost was,originally,a poorly written,poorly acted,and generally awful television show from the seventies.It's special effects were bad even then.Says something, don't it?
Another reason I'm not part of society.
3:30
The Living room

"Can we watch Tuck everlasting now "
"I don't wanna"
"Land of the Lost! Land of the Lost!"
"Sorry,you've been outvoted"
"Pleeeeeease!"
"No! Nooo!"
"I don't want to watch Tuck Everlasting-it's stupid!'
"Is not!You haven't even watched it dummy"
"Have too!"
"Nooooo you haven't"
"Have too!"
She sighed.
"Everybody quiet down,now"
Silence followed,
"Sorry Mea,but everyone wants to watch Land of the Lost"
"Why can't we watch something of quality"
Christine stuck out her tongue.
"If you don't want to watch it,you can go clean the kitchen for me"
"No way! I'm going to read"
"Me-"
By then she had already left.
Mom sighed,and then turned towards the television,watching more Land of the Lost.

3:01
The Garage
She was now in the garage,her secret sanctuary.She had a comfortable patio chair,her seven-year-old boom box (well,it was actually the family's,but she was the only one who used it),the book she was reading,and a plentiful supply of snacks,sealed away in their wrappers,or a large plastic bag.The song 'Sittin' on the dock of the bay' was playing quietly,echoing around the space.It was peaceful in here,and Mea was soon calm.She set down her book and just stared off into space,working on one of her books in her head.Then mom called,and the serenity of the place was ruined.Annoyed,she rushed back in,silently closing the door.She didn't want anyone to find out where her sanctuary was.

5:30 pm.
The Kitchen

Mea was making dinner,spaghetti and meatballs,as favor to her mom.Well,actually,as a favor to herself.Her mom was a wonderful cook-except when it came to spaghetti.She always overcooked it.Another reason was,if she made dinner,she didn't have to clean the kitchen,and she earned points with mom.A very,very good deal in her book.

Soon dinner was finished,and with the table having been recently cleaned off the family enjoyed a decent dinner.

The rest of the evening flew by,surreal as always.

9:00
Mea and Rose's bedroom

After Rose had stopped being hyper,Mea opened her diary and began to write.

Dear Josiah...

Little explanation-I write my diary's as some-one else in a in another time period in a different place.Otherwise i would just get bored,and not write in it.This diary is Sylvia Jones,Victorian period,East Anglia,Britain.
And no,Josiah isn't her boyfriend.He's a childhood friend.

Today was the same as the rest of the week.Just as crazy,just as much spring cleaning,just the same.Imagine it-I have a routine.Well,leastwise it's my own,not something my mother cooked up.
Oh,do come back soon,and bring some excitement in this dull life.
Love,
Sylvia.

Then she read way past her bedtime,to do the same thing tomorrow.

Last edited by Black Cat on 6/10/2009, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jinx
Jinx
Published Author
Published Author

{{Avvie thanks to Ave]

I wish I had covered all my tracks completely
'Cause I'm so afraid
Is that the light at the far end of the tunnel
Or just the train?~Tidal wave, Owl city.
Female Posts : 3205

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/17481697803

Back to top Go down

The sound of silence Empty Re: The sound of silence

Post by shadowsowner888 6/10/2009, 10:34 am

Great job! Very Happy I especially like the bits about Tuck Everlasting - that is an AWESOME movie! ^^
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

The sound of silence 1312The sound of silence 2412The sound of silence 3349The sound of silence 3548The sound of silence 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinx 6/10/2009, 1:13 pm

Yes *Nods*
Jinx
Jinx
Published Author
Published Author

{{Avvie thanks to Ave]

'Cause I'm so afraid

Back to top Go down

Post by twilighter3000 6/23/2009, 7:27 pm

Good job! I loved it!
twilighter3000
twilighter3000
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Female Posts : 4701

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat24 6/24/2009, 9:12 am

Good job, mea! =D
Kat24
Kat24
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinx 6/24/2009, 10:54 am

Thanks!
Jinx
Jinx
Published Author
Published Author

{{Avvie thanks to Ave]

'Cause I'm so afraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat24 6/24/2009, 5:59 pm

Welcomezie!
Kat24
Kat24
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1386

Back to top Go down