The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Door

+3
Mrs.SasukeUchiha
Jade
IDmangapasta
7 posters

Go down

The Door Empty The Door

Post by IDmangapasta 6/11/2009, 12:02 am

This is a short story i started once and don't intend to finish unless people beg me to. i like it how it is.

Romance: almost none at all.
Fantasy: a magical doorway. and that's about it =3

Sherry found a door one night, when she was lying in her bed. She hadn’t seen it before, but there it was, a big opening in the wall. She turned on the light, and it disappeared. In its place was the same old poster that had been there before. She turned off the light, and got back in bed. There it was again! It wasn’t a picture of puppy dogs; it was a dark entryway to something. She could hear water rushing, and the distant sound of a coyote. It couldn’t be out her window, because she didn’t have one. She assured herself it was all in her imagination, and then rolled over. Then she rolled over again. Something wasn’t right. She couldn’t sleep. That door couldn’t just be in her imagination. She could smell the night air, and feel the midnight breeze brushing against her face. Trees rustled, and a small light appeared through the doorway. So tiny, that it looked like a star. Then another appeared, and another! As she adjusted to the darkness, she sat up, and saw a peaceful midnight forest haven. Oak, elm, and cedar trees released their autumn leaves to the wind. One blew into her room, and she picked it up. This was not her imagination. Or was she dreaming so well that she didn’t realize it was a dream?
She climbed out of her bed. She reached through the doorway. The cool breeze was stronger there. The trees swayed in the breeze, as if their long branches were beckoning her in. Entranced as she was, she began advancing through the door, forgetting all caution until her foot snagged on a long climbing rope her father had given her for her birthday this year. She quickly jerked back out of the doorway. Better to be safe than sorry, she thought. After all she couldn’t go through; she was still in her nightdress. Although the breeze felt so good through her thin sleepwear, it was bound to get colder, wasn’t it?
As she dressed in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt, the reality set in. There was a door to a place so unreal that it could have come straight out of a fairytale, and it was in her room. As she picked up a jacket and her watch, her eyes fell upon the rope. She quickly tied it to her desk, which was too big to fit through the door, and tied the other end around her waist, so that if anything happened, she could find her way out quickly. The magic seemed to have worked its way out of her by then, she felt as if she were getting ready for school.
But then she saw the stars, felt the breeze on her face again, and was completely immersed in what must have been a dream. But she walked on, this time not hesitating to walk through the doorway into this magical place. She walked a few steps, pine needles crunching beneath her feet at every pace. In front of her was the forest she had seen from her room, to the left was a rocky cliff that came around behind her. There was the doorway back into reality, a hole in the wall that seemed dim in comparison to the moonlight streaming through the branches of the trees. She turned to her right and was startled, staring back into her own eyes in a stream that was as clear as glass, yet as reflective as a mirror, in the dark night. She turned to look back at where she came from, growing dimmer by the second, but she wasn’t alarmed. She untied the rope, promising herself she wouldn’t go far. Her room was almost invisible by now, but she didn’t notice. Wide awake and still under the spell of this cathedral of a forest, she walked along the stream, drinking in the scenery. Everything was so quiet, yet so alive! The trees danced, the grass itself seemed to sense that she was here. The stream quietly flowed along, like a song, up and down and around the rocks.
She looked up from the stream and glimpsed a figure walking slowly through the trees on the far side, as entranced with the scene as she was. This person, unlike her, seemed to blend in with the woods, as though he himself was a part of them. He looked up and his eyes met hers from a distance, still she could see the sharp blue diamonds, in a face that was as regal as a king’s. His thin mouth was set in a straight line, so that you couldn’t really tell whether he was happy or sad or either one at all. His dark hair framed his firm face to the point where it just covered his ears, and was cropped off neatly. A few seconds passed that seemed like hours, and she looked away.
A few more minutes passed in silence, until the boy, who must have been 16 at least, said, “Fair maiden, what art thou doing out at this time of the night, and in men’s clothes, no less?”
“I… I don’t know” she faltered, words far out of her reach.
She could see his eyes soften as he said, “Now, we can’t have a lost damsel wandering in the woods at this hour, can we?” He walked to the edge of the water, smiling now. Nimbly he crossed, stepping on the scattered stones in the stream. “Come. I’ll take you to the castle. One of the servants will take care of you.” He took her hand and started back across the stream. Caught in the moment, she followed without a glance back.
IDmangapasta
IDmangapasta
Published Author
Published Author

Howdy-do, I'm an otaku!
Female Posts : 3400

http://lizclairel.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Door Empty Re: The Door

Post by Jade 6/11/2009, 12:26 am

This story is so awesome and mysterious! I too like it how it is, the un- finnished ending leaves the reader imagning what happens next. I love your style of writing, I can't wait to hear more from you soon hopefully Smile
Jade
Jade
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Female Posts : 2182

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs.SasukeUchiha 6/11/2009, 11:14 am

Oh, I really liked this. It was nice.
Mrs.SasukeUchiha
Mrs.SasukeUchiha
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 23705

Back to top Go down

Post by iGrievous 6/11/2009, 11:39 am

Nice story.
iGrievous
iGrievous
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Male Posts : 4596

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/11/2009, 12:25 pm

Wow, this is really awesome; so descriptive! Smile Great job!! I hope you add more soon!
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

The Door 1312The Door 2412The Door 3349The Door 3548The Door 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by twilighter3000 7/31/2009, 10:19 am

Ooh, I love this! Great job!
twilighter3000
twilighter3000