The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment)

5 posters

Go down

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) Empty Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment)

Post by Webkinz-lover#1 11/3/2009, 6:42 pm

Maturity: Some blood and gore.
Fantasy: Superstitions.

We were asked to write this story for a narrative essay on superstitions. Tell me what you think of mine. Smile

Sophia woke in her bed, her blanket on the floor. She had just awoken from a nightmare and she guessed she had thrown her blanket on the floor as she thrashed. She stood and went downstairs, blinking sleep from her hazel eyes. She knew it was Saturday, and she thankfully realized she had no school. She ate a bowl of cereal and got dressed, pulling on an old pair of jeans and a plain tee shirt. She went back downstairs to ask her mom if she could go for a jog through the quiet Arizona streets. Her mom agreed, so a half hour later, Sophia left the house.
She jogged in silence for a while, listening to her I pod and nothing else. Suddenly, a yowl and a scream drowned out her music. She ran forward, faster now, until her eyes focused on a small black cat and a boy about her age.
“What are you doing?” she demanded of the boy.
“That cat..” he choked, “…It’s….Bad luck!” he yelled.
“What?” Sophia started, “You have got to be kidding! What did you do to the cat?” she asked, remembering the yowl she had first heard.
The boy looked down at a stone he held tightly in his hands. “I just,” he started, “hit it once.”
“You hit it?” Sophia gasped, running toward the cat in alarm.
The cat yowled once again and raced away, down the empty street. Sophia watched the cat go then turned back to the boy.
“Bad luck! It’s nonsense, it’s all in your head!”
The boy shook his head, “It’s not! It’s real! That cat..there was something weird about it.”
“Like what?” Sophia demanded fiercely.
“I don’t know, I can’t quiet figure it out, it’s just..weird.”
Sophia ignored him and turned away. She looked back over her shoulder, “Who are you?
“Aaron,” he replied.
“Well, Aaron, you better be careful what you do, that poor harmless cat didn’t deserve that.” With that, Sophia walked away.
She thought about the cat all day, her mind whirring. Aaron. Yes, she also thought about him. How he was so mean. Really, throwing stones at a pure, defenseless, young cat. She decided she would go on another walk, this time to find the cat. She left the house soon after, making sure to tell her mom where she was going first.
Sophia spotted the stray’s dull black coat a little later. She walked more slowly toward the cat this time. It looked up at her, confusion in it’s green eyes. She held out her hand and she felt a cold nose touch her finger as the cat sniffed her. She bent down and stroked down it’s bony back. She smiled at it and it let out a short purr. She picked up the cat and carried it back toward her house, the cat purring the whole way home.
She set the cat down in front of her parents later on that night. “I found this cat, a boy was messing with him. I was wondering..” she started, “can I keep him?”
Her parents looked at the cat, then up at their daughter’s pleading face. “Yes,” her dad decided, but only if you take care of it. If not, it’ll go to the pound.”
Sophia squealed and scooped the cat up. “Here that! You’re mine now! A name, that’s what you need. I think I’ll name you..Salim.”
Salim purred, as though accepting that name. Sophia looked down and saw a gleam in the cat’s green eyes, a gleam that looked almost like satisfaction, mischief. She ignored it, though it never left her mind.
Sophia thought back about that gleam, weeks after having first found Salim. She had seen that gleam many times in his eyes. It was starting to make her edgy, uneasy, it was though the cat knew what he was doing. Sophia decided she had imagined it all. She lay down and tried to fall asleep. She lay in the darkness for hours, staring at the white ceiling. She heard a whisper in her ear. The whisper said, “Who says black cats aren’t bad luck?” That was all she heard before she fell into unconsciousness, a sudden pain in her stomach.
Sophia died the next morning at the hospital. Nobody knew what had happened, there was a gash down her stomach, but nobody knew how she had acquired it. Her parents didn’t think about the cat and how Sophia had tried to tell them about that gleam in Salim’s eyes. Soon after, the parents each heard a whisper in their ear, it started the same, “Who says black cats aren’t bad luck? She tried to tell you.” They also died, the same gash found on their stomachs. Salim was put in a shelter, having nobody else to take care of him. A few days later, he was adopted into a new house. The new owners of Salim also noticed the strange look in his eyes, but they too, ignored it.
Webkinz-lover#1
Webkinz-lover#1
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) Siggy
Female Posts : 2058

Back to top Go down

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) Empty Re: Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment)

Post by littletoes101 11/3/2009, 6:46 pm

Do you belive black cats are bad luck? I don't. I love black cats! My loved one has a black cat and he's really mean but he doesnt bring bad luck.
littletoes101
littletoes101
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5640

http://www.thechildbooks.wikispaces.com

Back to top Go down

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) Empty Re: Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment)

Post by DiscardedHarmony 11/3/2009, 6:52 pm

Woah, great story! brrrr it's giving me shivers! Creepy but awesome! Wink Do you believe that black cats bring bad luck?
DiscardedHarmony
DiscardedHarmony
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1596

http://ShimmeringHeart.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Webkinz-lover#1 11/3/2009, 6:54 pm

No, I don't really believe they bring bad luck. I just had to think up a story and fast. Thanks! Smile
Webkinz-lover#1
Webkinz-lover#1
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) Siggy

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscardedHarmony 11/3/2009, 6:55 pm

Oh ok. You're most welcome! Very Happy
DiscardedHarmony
DiscardedHarmony
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1596

http://ShimmeringHeart.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by littletoes101 11/3/2009, 6:57 pm

Thanks, phew.
littletoes101
littletoes101
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5640

http://www.thechildbooks.wikispaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 11/4/2009, 7:54 pm

hysterical That was creepy!! (I always laugh at creepy stuff. rolleyes) I liiiiiked it. x3

I'm glad right now that I don't own a cat, though. Surprised Cus it's dark outside, and I get freaked easily when the sun sets . . .
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) 1312Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) 2412Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) 3349Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) 3548Salim's Stones (A finished short story that I did for an English assignment) 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Webkinz-lover#1 11/4/2009, 9:27 pm

I feel the same. I do have cats, but they are so innocent, I would never suspect them of being kitty killers. xD

Thanks! Smile

Last edited by Webkinz-lover#1 on 11/4/2009, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I made an error. x3)
Webkinz-lover#1
Webkinz-lover#1
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 11/4/2009, 10:22 pm

The deaths are just so undescriptively gory it's awesome, and the whole thing is just cool. ^.^
Of course, I've always had a thing for black cats.
Did you know in some cultures it's actually the white cat that's unlucky?

If a cat killed me, it'd probably be from giving me a fake cold or something. I'm really allergic.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 472

Back to top Go down

Post by Webkinz-lover#1 11/4/2009, 10:30 pm

Thanks, Kiri! Smile
White cats? Wow, that's interesting, never heard of that. =]

Aw, sorry you're allergic, I can't imagine it, being allergic to my babies. Dx
Webkinz-lover#1
Webkinz-lover#1
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down