The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting?

+3
Avé
shadowsowner888
Arianna
7 posters

Go down

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? Empty A stricter rule on double/triple-posting?

Post by Arianna 5/2/2010, 7:32 am

This is just a suggestion - if you hate it, please tell me. xD
Anyway... A lot of the time when I look at RPs, I will see something which I /thought/ was against the rules but actually isn't. :/
The thing is that often people post things like this.
Person 1 wrote:(OK I'mma reply now.)
Person 1 wrote:Lucy walked down the road. She was bored.
Person 1 wrote:(You can reply now.)
These posts are generally posted about 2 minutes apart and don't contribute much to the RP. Why don't people just edit their posts and put all three of the things into one post..?

Could there please be a rule about this? Very Happy
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? Empty Re: A stricter rule on double/triple-posting?

Post by shadowsowner888 5/2/2010, 8:01 am

Yes, I do think we need a stricter rule. As of now my frame for merging doubleposts is that I'll do it if the same member posts again within twenty or thirty minutes of the last post . . . peoples, how does that sound to you?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 1312A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 2412A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 3349A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 3548A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? Empty Re: A stricter rule on double/triple-posting?

Post by Arianna 5/2/2010, 8:26 am

I'm happy I have your agreement. Very Happy
I think that sounds good. So these 1/2 minute intervals wouldn't be allowed, right? Smile
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/2/2010, 8:53 am

Entirely right. ^^
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 1312A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 2412A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 3349A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 3548A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Avé 5/2/2010, 11:47 am

Ari, I completely agree with you. The only time I doubple post is when someone ordered something from my shop, and I posted last. So, when I complete what they want, I'll post on the thread with it, to let them know it's done - and that's usually within a two or three day time span. And even then, I can always just edit my post with their order and send them a PM so they know it's done, if they requested a notification.

I don't like when people post something like this -->
Heyy, I'm hear!

*here

Lol, oops.

Shadow - I think that sounds good. Smile
Avé
Avé
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5955

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 5/2/2010, 2:42 pm

I like this rule. Double posting makes me angry.

Though, Shadow, I don't understand what you mean about the 1/2 hour rule... Explain?
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 5/2/2010, 2:51 pm

Ave wrote:Ari, I completely agree with you. The only time I doubple post is when someone ordered something from my shop, and I posted last. So, when I complete what they want, I'll post on the thread with it, to let them know it's done - and that's usually within a two or three day time span. And even then, I can always just edit my post with their order and send them a PM so they know it's done, if they requested a notification.

I don't like when people post something like this -->
Heyy, I'm hear!

*here

Lol, oops.

Shadow - I think that sounds good. Smile

Unless that's happening in the chatbox. The only times I'VE ever seen the example you posted, Ave, is in the Chatbox. And it's definately fine in the chatbox, since we all know we can't edit, there. nod

As for Arianna's example, it sort of depends. That last post.. the "You can post now" is seriously useless.
But for the "Replying now.." kind of one.. it depends. Yes, sometimes it's useless and uneeded.. but sometimes.. it's definately needed. Reasons for it may vary.
Firstly, the user may have been distracted or busy [which often happens to me] and may have left the other user wondering; "Where in the world are they?". Well, then, I suppose the "I'm replying now" is partially needed. Plus, if you edit your post, are you certain that the other user is 100% going to check your edited post? Of course, you can PM this user, but still. It's a 50-50 chance.
As well as, the user may be working on a LONG post, which is the reason to such a wait for a reply. Then, to let the other user know that they're 'still there', they will go off and say 'I'm replying, now'.

Know what I mean?
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 19506

http://www.shadowfire.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 5/2/2010, 2:56 pm

Often what I'm seeing, though, Mia, is not a 'replying now' and then 10 minutes later a post. It's 'replying now', then about 1 minute later a reply, then another few minutes later 'please reply'.
If you want them to see your reply, type it up and then post. They'll be sure to see, and I'm sure that while they're waiting they'll find other things to do. Smile

Keri, I think that Ado meant that if posts have less than half an hour inbetween the first and the second one, she'll merge them. Anything more and she'll let them stay separate. Smile
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 5/2/2010, 3:00 pm

Ahhh... alrighty, then.
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 19506

http://www.shadowfire.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 5/2/2010, 3:29 pm

Well, cheese ball of imagination, I get your point, but if someone is waiting for a response on an RP, it'll be the last post, and usually someone refreshes the page to look for it, which means that they'll just refresh it to the edited post instead of another post. This'll also help with traffic and the site getting cluttered.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 5/2/2010, 11:55 pm

Akeria wrote:Well, cheese ball of imagination, I get your point, but if someone is waiting for a response on an RP, it'll be the last post, and usually someone refreshes the page to look for it, which means that they'll just refresh it to the edited post instead of another post. This'll also help with traffic and the site getting cluttered.

But some people just go to "View posts since last visit" or something of the sort (like if they're on more than one thread at once) and look for new posts, and when you just edit, it doesn't show up as new so the person might miss it. But if Shadow can set an auto-merge thing like WI has it'll solve both problems, because it'll only be one post but it'll still show up as a new post.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 5/3/2010, 12:11 am

I think this is a good idea, but I think 30 minutes is a little too long.
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 15853

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 5/3/2010, 12:55 am

rattyjol wrote:
Akeria wrote:Well, cheese ball of imagination, I get your point, but if someone is waiting for a response on an RP, it'll be the last post, and usually someone refreshes the page to look for it, which means that they'll just refresh it to the edited post instead of another post. This'll also help with traffic and the site getting cluttered.

But some people just go to "View posts since last visit" or something of the sort (like if they're on more than one thread at once) and look for new posts, and when you just edit, it doesn't show up as new so the person might miss it. But if Shadow can set an auto-merge thing like WI has it'll solve both problems, because it'll only be one post but it'll still show up as a new post.
What I say is that a) they'll still see it on 'new posts' if there is no "I'm replying now" post if people just type their reply and post it. and b) If someone's said "I'm replying," then it's their responsibility to check back.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 5/3/2010, 6:35 am

I have to say, I agree with Arianna.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/3/2010, 7:40 pm

Do I still need to answer your question, Keri, or did Ari cover that? :1

Now I'm feeling that this is going to be so much fun to figure out. XD

Personally I'm in Ratty's boat here. I just look for new posts; I'm not a refreshing-type person. I do still feel that posting so many times in that sort of instance is kind of unnecessary, but I still wanna side with myself, because wouldn't we all? xD

But I do have to say, if people really need to post beforehand to say they're working on a reply, they could just send a PM to the person they're replying too. Even better, they could wait for a PM. If someone's wondering that bad where the reply is, they could just send a PM themself to ask, and then they wouldn't even need to worry about double posting.

Okay, as for the actual time limit - what do you guys feel a good limit would be? Cus I said thirty, but Saddle, I saw you objected to that . . . so to all of you, what do you feel the best time limit would be?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 5/3/2010, 7:57 pm

Maybe fifteen minutes? Twenty? I know on WI it's like a day, but that's kinda long...
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/3/2010, 11:18 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't really wanna limit it to a day either. xD Twenty minutes would be okay with me!
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 5/10/2010, 1:33 am

Twenty minutes seems ok. I just found 30 minutes too much. You can do a lot in 30 minutes! Like, you can make a sandwich, then eat the sandwich ( A stricter rule on double/triple-posting? 314100 ) or you can order a pizza and have the pizza delivered or you can watch a whole episode of SpongeBob.....so yeah, 20 minutes would be better, or maybe even 15 like Ratty said. xD
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/10/2010, 6:56 pm

Lol, or you could also post on a different thread . . .

No, just kidding, I'm not being that stubborn about it. XD Glad that twenty minutes is fine in your book, then! ;3 Is anyone else here opposed to that time limit?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 5/10/2010, 10:42 pm

Sandwiches make me think about my epic peanut butter sandwich xD I fail at sandwich making so I just glob peanut butter on both sides of the bread, but it is reeeeaaaaally good....though sticky xD
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 5/11/2010, 12:53 pm

Iàm not opposed at all. Smile
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/11/2010, 4:18 pm

Cool! :3 That's still 100% then. XD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down