The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Watching

+4
Arianna
Avé
shadowsowner888
Komoda
8 posters

Go down

People Watching Empty People Watching

Post by Komoda 5/23/2010, 1:15 am

Ah, so I was watching this k-drama...
And the main character is a writer. nod
What she does to help her writing is go people watching!

Sounds creepy, I know... But basically, you just look at a person, and judging on their appearance, make up a realistic (enough) back story for them, along with a future if you really want to. Of course this isn't something you're actually assuming, but just for fun as a character development strategy. It also helps pass the time when you're forced to go grocery shopping.
-.-

For example, I saw this guy at the store the other day... He looked clean cut, with that friendly father look, and he had two little girls with him. He was really adorable and friendly, so I figure his ex wife must have died and he was looking after the kids, who were the most important thing to him in the world. He even quit his alcohol addiction for them, just so that he could get back to work and turn his life around. He was still in love with his ex wife, you see. So when she died, it really hurt him... He wished he could have changed sooner instead of letting her break it off so easily. And how did she die? Probably got killed by a drunk driver, just for the sake of drama. But anyway, so this guy is basically like a love story waiting to happen. He works in his father's business now because his father, although reluctant since he fired him for his drinking problem in the first place, decided to take him back into the business due to sympathy. One day, this guy will fall in love with the babysitter that he hired for his kids and he'll also make lots of money when he takes over the family business.

And yeah... XD So you guys should try people watching sometime! You can post your little stories that you came up with here, if you wish.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

People Watching Empty Re: People Watching

Post by shadowsowner888 5/23/2010, 9:42 am

Oh my gosh! Very Happy I love doing that! I so just started within the last week, too, fancy that! It must be fate that you bring it up now.

I saw this creepy old man in a car once, and decided he was a werewolf hunter. But that's not very original, since I just took it straight outta the one story. XD Then there was this blonde lady with chinlength hair and a blank expression, and she was a secret drug dealer with children.

But psht, I'm sure I'll come up with some better stories for people when I actually try harder. ^^;
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

People Watching 1312People Watching 2412People Watching 3349People Watching 3548People Watching 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avé 5/23/2010, 11:42 am

That sounds like a really good idea. *_*

We're going to Target today... I'll have to try it there. ^^
Avé
Avé
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5955

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 5/23/2010, 11:52 am

This really is a good idea - and it's perfect, because I can do it right out my window. Very Happy
Sometimes I'll absentmindedly look at someone outside and make up a story for them, so perhaps I'll do this more. (:
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

People Watching 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 5/23/2010, 12:03 pm

Ooh, I like this idea. *.* And considering I somewhat stalk people within school, I can do both simultaneously! cheesy
(No worries, though, I don't stalk outside of the school building. xD)
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 5/23/2010, 5:25 pm

@Shadow:

Ah, what a lovely coincidence! 8D And I think those are neat stories. They're really plotty; especially the werewolf hunter one. Reminds me of the DavidxLyssa thing!

@Ave:

Glad you think so. ^^ Have fun at Target. XD

@Ari:

Thanks! I'm glad it's easy for you to do. nod I pretty much have to wait until I go to the city to do it (I live in the country) so yeah.

@Cyn:

Haha, I totally stalk people in my school, too. Well, not literally though, of course. Just on Facebook... But yeah, doing it at school is a great idea. *-* Never really thought of that, actually.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/23/2010, 6:49 pm

Lol, yeah. rolleyes That's why I say it's not very original.

I tried coming up with stories for people at Church, but we actually had a really good priest, so I didn't pay enough attention to the people around me this time around. ^^;

But there was this one person. He was a fat little Chinese man standing with his wife. See, he came from China, where he was a ruler, but people wanted him dead, so he had to flee to America. Now they're living simple lives and hoping the Chinese mafia (or ninjas or whoever's chasing him) never find them ever. nod
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

People Watching 1312People Watching 2412People Watching 3349People Watching 3548People Watching 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/24/2010, 6:59 am

lol, this looks fun. XD

I remembeer seeing a blind person in college once with deliberatly ripped-up jeans and a tattoo on his neck talking in his cellphone. He also had a really big, black bookcase next to him. My backstory for him?

He's a member of the local mafia, possibly second-in-command judging by his big suitcase. One may think his blindness is something to do with this (Like they blinded him or he did it to overcompesate), but that is not the case. In fact, he's not even trying to avenge anyone. He's just a blind dude who felt like joining a mafia and has risen through the ranks through literal blood, sweat, and tears.

The ripped up jeans suggests that he had just led his men through a harrowing situation of which involved sharp, stabbing implements of death and he survived. The tattoo on his neck must've been the symbol that signifies the member so everyone knows each other from the crowd.

He was talking on his phone, either discussing another strategy with his crimelord (Who is a very sweet, decent man to his mates, plus, he's Irish) or barking orders/comforting the remaining men of the operation. What was the operation? To steal a highly important disk that contained something of high value to the mayor. It's a blackmail operation b/c mayor election day is coming up and the oppossing running-mayor wants evidence that the present mayor was an adulterer and has assigned these men to do the job. Their mafia name? The Bloodthorns. (They're not as bad as the name suggests. Sure they steal and stuff, but they never, NEVER kill anyone unless they absolutely had to. The crimelord has the civilians under his protection and punishes his men harshly if they were to harm them.)

Eh...sorry for not being realistic, Komoda. :/ That's just what I thought when I first saw him. This is very fun though. XD
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 5/24/2010, 8:38 pm

shadowsowner888 wrote:Lol, yeah. rolleyes That's why I say it's not very original.

I tried coming up with stories for people at Church, but we actually had a really good priest, so I didn't pay enough attention to the people around me this time around. ^^;

But there was this one person. He was a fat little Chinese man standing with his wife. See, he came from China, where he was a ruler, but people wanted him dead, so he had to flee to America. Now they're living simple lives and hoping the Chinese mafia (or ninjas or whoever's chasing him) never find them ever. nod

Lol, you would, Ado. XD I hope the Chinese mafia do find them, so I can run on over and marry one of them! I do like the bad boys. nod XD Very interesting story!

Meerkat Scribe wrote:lol, this looks fun. XD

I remembeer seeing a blind person in college once with deliberatly ripped-up jeans and a tattoo on his neck talking in his cellphone. He also had a really big, black bookcase next to him. My backstory for him?

He's a member of the local mafia, possibly second-in-command judging by his big suitcase. One may think his blindness is something to do with this (Like they blinded him or he did it to overcompesate), but that is not the case. In fact, he's not even trying to avenge anyone. He's just a blind dude who felt like joining a mafia and has risen through the ranks through literal blood, sweat, and tears.

The ripped up jeans suggests that he had just led his men through a harrowing situation of which involved sharp, stabbing implements of death and he survived. The tattoo on his neck must've been the symbol that signifies the member so everyone knows each other from the crowd.

He was talking on his phone, either discussing another strategy with his crimelord (Who is a very sweet, decent man to his mates, plus, he's Irish) or barking orders/comforting the remaining men of the operation. What was the operation? To steal a highly important disk that contained something of high value to the mayor. It's a blackmail operation b/c mayor election day is coming up and the oppossing running-mayor wants evidence that the present mayor was an adulterer and has assigned these men to do the job. Their mafia name? The Bloodthorns. (They're not as bad as the name suggests. Sure they steal and stuff, but they never, NEVER kill anyone unless they absolutely had to. The crimelord has the civilians under his protection and punishes his men harshly if they were to harm them.)

Eh...sorry for not being realistic, Komoda. :/ That's just what I thought when I first saw him. This is very fun though. XD

XD That actually is realistic, seeing as based on his appearance, it could be true. What I meant by non-realistic would be just making up some non-sense story, like he's a unicorn rider since his jeans are ripped or something. nod Anyway, that was awesome! He sounds like a cool guy, based on that. Very Happy

(I like that they were both mafia-themed stories. XD)
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/25/2010, 8:25 am

lol, yeah. Plus, I noticed that some girls seem to like bad boys, so the idea of a guy in the mafia conducting secret and quite deadly missions could be attractive for them. (The fact he's blind may make him even more heroic if not even more badder.)

More people-watching-stories:

I remember when I was a Freshman in college, I saw two of my professors (Let's call then Dr. Martha and Professor Kevin) in Dr. Martha's office discussing something private. I also noticed that there was what looked like a very comfortable couch on the far end of the office.

My thought:

Dr. Martha is a widow who lost her husband in a freak ladder accident twenty years ago. She never got over this and vowed to never again feel love for another man because she didn't want to have to endure the pain. She lectures about history not only because she's fascinated by it, but because she's still holding on to the past, the has-been.

That is, until she met Professor Kevin, an English professor who's about three years younger than she is (They're both in their mid-50s). Somehow, her strict, cold persona seemed to mesh with Professor Kevin's warm, quirky habits and for the first time in two decades, Dr. Martha felt that she loved this man, but she was afraid. What if he were to die? Time and time again, her life has taught her that everyone she knew died. Her mother left the family, her brother died of cancer, and then her husband died. She believes that since history repeats itself, Professor Kevin will die. Possibly of a clogged artery since he loved eating hamburgers at fast food resturants.

Will love blossom? Or will History extend her cruel hand once more?
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 6/1/2010, 1:09 am

Meerkat Scribe wrote:lol, yeah. Plus, I noticed that some girls seem to like bad boys, so the idea of a guy in the mafia conducting secret and quite deadly missions could be attractive for them. (The fact he's blind may make him even more heroic if not even more badder.)

More people-watching-stories:

I remember when I was a Freshman in college, I saw two of my professors (Let's call then Dr. Martha and Professor Kevin) in Dr. Martha's office discussing something private. I also noticed that there was what looked like a very comfortable couch on the far end of the office.

My thought:

Dr. Martha is a widow who lost her husband in a freak ladder accident twenty years ago. She never got over this and vowed to never again feel love for another man because she didn't want to have to endure the pain. She lectures about history not only because she's fascinated by it, but because she's still holding on to the past, the has-been.

That is, until she met Professor Kevin, an English professor who's about three years younger than she is (They're both in their mid-50s). Somehow, her strict, cold persona seemed to mesh with Professor Kevin's warm, quirky habits and for the first time in two decades, Dr. Martha felt that she loved this man, but she was afraid. What if he were to die? Time and time again, her life has taught her that everyone she knew died. Her mother left the family, her brother died of cancer, and then her husband died. She believes that since history repeats itself, Professor Kevin will die. Possibly of a clogged artery since he loved eating hamburgers at fast food resturants.

Will love blossom? Or will History extend her cruel hand once more?
Wow, I really love it! Very Happy It's brilliant how you can come up with such a developed plot just from observing two people.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 6/1/2010, 8:43 am

I'm almost itching to write it. I wanted to include that she also has an interest in the paranormal, so I can tie her belief of ghosts in with her past and wanting to cling onto history. (Spoiler: She has a room she hasn't cleaned in the twenty years since her husband died. That was their old bedroom.)

Oh yes, I should have fun writing this. farao
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by FOREIGN?! 6/4/2010, 7:01 pm

At the beach today, Ave and I did this. One of the stories we made up was for two girls. They're nineteen and both go to Ocean County College in New Jersey, entering their sophomore year. One of the girls - the brunette with the pixie cut named Laina - has a brother who owns a condo at the beach, which she and her best friend, a long haired blonde named Sabrina, are staying at for the start of summer. A few nights previous, they had gone to Laina's brother's Frat party down at the University of Florida and had a few too many drinks. Laina ended up getting a tattoo out of the whole thing - a heart near the top of her left rib cage -, with a few persuasions from Sabrina, who had always been the crazier one.

A year later, Sabrina and Laina have grown apart. They still keep in touch and hang out every so often, though even just glimpses of their past friendship is rare. Without Laina to keep her in control and not do crazy things, Sabrina gets drunk at a party and insists on driving herself home. Well, she takes an unexpected stop around the corner, where she is found dead after running a red light and crashing.

This is somewhat of a reality check for Laina, who had been living a similar (but more toned down) life. She decides to turn her life around, later becoming quite successful as a business woman.
FOREIGN?!
FOREIGN?!
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 6/5/2010, 12:06 am

Meerkat Scribe wrote:I'm almost itching to write it. I wanted to include that she also has an interest in the paranormal, so I can tie her belief of ghosts in with her past and wanting to cling onto history. (Spoiler: She has a room she hasn't cleaned in the twenty years since her husband died. That was their old bedroom.)

Oh yes, I should have fun writing this. farao
Ooh, I'm glad that you actually got writing inspiration from that! :3 I bet it'll make a great story.

FOREIGN?! wrote:At the beach today, Ave and I did this. One of the stories we made up was for two girls. They're nineteen and both go to Ocean County College in New Jersey, entering their sophomore year. One of the girls - the brunette with the pixie cut named Laina - has a brother who owns a condo at the beach, which she and her best friend, a long haired blonde named Sabrina, are staying at for the start of summer. A few nights previous, they had gone to Laina's brother's Frat party down at the University of Florida and had a few too many drinks. Laina ended up getting a tattoo out of the whole thing - a heart near the top of her left rib cage -, with a few persuasions from Sabrina, who had always been the crazier one.

A year later, Sabrina and Laina have grown apart. They still keep in touch and hang out every so often, though even just glimpses of their past friendship is rare. Without Laina to keep her in control and not do crazy things, Sabrina gets drunk at a party and insists on driving herself home. Well, she takes an unexpected stop around the corner, where she is found dead after running a red light and crashing.

This is somewhat of a reality check for Laina, who had been living a similar (but more toned down) life. She decides to turn her life around, later becoming quite successful as a business woman.
That's really awesome, Foreign! *-* I like how far ahead you guys went into the future. I love stories where the MCs grow out of their immaturity. :')
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 6/6/2010, 4:56 pm

Another People-Watching-Story!!

Basically, this was after I saw a college football player hanging out with a woman from another country.

So I decided to make a story where these two, along with four other friends work together to solve the mysteries in their hometown, but the mysteries are secondary.

See, the football player was the descendant of a very, very famous detective from the Colonial period (I was considering writing both series examining the ancestor in question and this guy. Not sure if they'd be sequels or spiritual successors though...), and this detective was considered a hero, especially for his parts in the Revolution. The player wants to be a big hero in another way, through football.

But unfortunally, in the 200 years following the peaceful death of the Colonial detective, the family name has gone from bad to worst. Some fought for the Confederacy, some turned to drugs or crime (A few of them were notorious mobsters in the 1920s.), one notorious person even defected to the KAISER during WWI because he felt the Germans were right in trying to secure their borders! As a whole, the family isn't remembered very fondly at all. His family do their best to not be in the limelight at all.

Anyways, this football player/amateur PI wants to be a football legend, but his elderly grump of grandfather doesn't think it possible, believing the worst in football.

Can he bring honor back to the family name by being a college football player and solving murders? Or will the ghosts of his ancestors come and claim him?
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by GraceMarie8 6/17/2010, 2:05 am

I LOVE PEOPLE WATCHING. Very Happy

It's on my mental list of things I want to do on vacation!
Helloo, more elaborate stories to be found in FL. :-) Like ugly people in bikinis. xDD

I will post stories later.
I always do that with my friends at the mall. Good times. xD
GraceMarie8
GraceMarie8
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 259

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/17/2010, 12:49 pm

Meerkat Scribe wrote:Another People-Watching-Story!!

Basically, this was after I saw a college football player hanging out with a woman from another country.

So I decided to make a story where these two, along with four other friends work together to solve the mysteries in their hometown, but the mysteries are secondary.

See, the football player was the descendant of a very, very famous detective from the Colonial period (I was considering writing both series examining the ancestor in question and this guy. Not sure if they'd be sequels or spiritual successors though...), and this detective was considered a hero, especially for his parts in the Revolution. The player wants to be a big hero in another way, through football.

But unfortunally, in the 200 years following the peaceful death of the Colonial detective, the family name has gone from bad to worst. Some fought for the Confederacy, some turned to drugs or crime (A few of them were notorious mobsters in the 1920s.), one notorious person even defected to the KAISER during WWI because he felt the Germans were right in trying to secure their borders! As a whole, the family isn't remembered very fondly at all. His family do their best to not be in the limelight at all.

Anyways, this football player/amateur PI wants to be a football legend, but his elderly grump of grandfather doesn't think it possible, believing the worst in football.

Can he bring honor back to the family name by being a college football player and solving murders? Or will the ghosts of his ancestors come and claim him?
Ooh, that sounds really awesome, Meerkat. *-* You're really good at people watching. I love how you developed an entire plot, just from seeing them.

GraceMarie8 wrote:I LOVE PEOPLE WATCHING. Very Happy

It's on my mental list of things I want to do on vacation!
Helloo, more elaborate stories to be found in FL. :-) Like ugly people in bikinis. xDD

I will post stories later.
I always do that with my friends at the mall. Good times. xD
XD Glad to hear you like it. It's a great way to pass the time. :3
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down