The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion

+10
Taquito
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Cyn431
amrgirl
Arianna
MCRRockz123
Horsey
Noah the Flood
rattyjol
Haileadorable211
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion Empty Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion

Post by Haileadorable211 7/15/2010, 10:42 pm

I heard there were plans to build a mousque 2 blocks from where the twin towers used to be.Do you think this should happen?

Last edited by Haileadorable211 on 7/26/2010, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion Siggy
Thats smoky the cigar

Female Posts : 1070

http://sweetshoplove.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion Empty Re: Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion

Post by rattyjol 7/15/2010, 11:37 pm

A mosque? Definitely not. Some kind of memorial, sure, but not a mosque. Razz What are they hoping to accomplish, pleasing the terrorists? Razz

...Just my opinion. No offense to Muslims.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah the Flood 7/15/2010, 11:41 pm

I say not. I mean like, no offense to the muslim community, but...

Like Ratty said, a memorial, sure, but not a mosque. I wouldn't even say a church; and I'm a really strong Christian.
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Male Posts : 10544

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsey 7/15/2010, 11:43 pm

No
Just let there be a loving memorial and a place of peace
Horsey
Horsey
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Obsessed with Naruto.
Gotta problem with that?
Didn't think so x]
Female Posts : 620

Back to top Go down

Post by MCRRockz123 7/15/2010, 11:59 pm

Memorial yes Mosque no....
No effence to the Muslem's
MCRRockz123
MCRRockz123
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Female Posts : 4872

http://mylifeismusic.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/16/2010, 3:14 am

I'm sorry, but that is most certainly a rumor. I doubt they would even build a church there.

It would be rude to put something for a specific religion in a memorial where everyone should be able to honor the people who died.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 7/16/2010, 7:45 am

I think that they would just build a memorial. Like Ari said, I don't think that they would put anything from a specific religion in place of a memorial.
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Female Posts : 3651

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/16/2010, 10:45 am

rattyjol wrote:A mosque? Definitely not. Some kind of memorial, sure, but not a mosque. Razz What are they hoping to accomplish, pleasing the terrorists? Razz

I really dont think there are that many mousques in new york if there are any at all and I was thinking they could build like a memorial garden or statue infront of the mousque and i found the terrorist part really offensive.Not all muslims are "terrorists" and the mouspque can promote well peace.Maybe people may be a bit nicer.Ive seen plenty of christian and jewish churches in new york(ive been 2 times) but not one mousque.
I say they should build it
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/16/2010, 10:46 am

Arianna wrote:I'm sorry, but that is most certainly a rumor. I doubt they would even build a church there.

It would be rude to put something for a specific religion in a memorial where everyone should be able to honor the people who died.
Ok and i was listening to multiple stories about it on TV and I even saw the debate and heard it yesterday so.............. Twisted Evil
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah the Flood 7/16/2010, 2:36 pm

You do realize that what you just said, about bringing peace, would just be pleasing the terrorist, like Ratty said, because the ones wanting to blow us up ARE terrorist. If they didn't want to kill us so bad, we wouldn't have the problem of fighting in the first place.
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/16/2010, 2:41 pm

It was a few people who blew it up not every muslim is a terrorist .There are plenty of muslims who HATE the taliban and just want peace
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah the Flood 7/16/2010, 3:53 pm

Excactly.
But you just said building a mosque would bring peace.
We are allies with the ones that don't want to fight us; its one of the reasons we are over in the middle east. To help them.
The only peace we really must make is with the ones who are trying to blow us up, aka terrorist.
I never said all muslims are terrorist. I know a few muslims, and they are very nice.

Plus, like Ari said, it wouldn't be right to build something there focusing on one religion. A memorial would be better.
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 7/16/2010, 4:26 pm

A mosque might bring peace for some Muslims, but I think that it might anger some people in this country who feel very strongly about their religion (I can't say, so I'm just guessing).
Like Noah said, not all Muslims are terrorists. A decent amount of people in my school are Muslim, and I don't think that any of them would blow up anything. They might not all be that nice as a person, but each individual of one religion isn't exactly the same.
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/16/2010, 5:03 pm

Noah the Flood wrote:Excactly.
But you just said building a mosque would bring peace.
We are allies with the ones that don't want to fight us; its one of the reasons we are over in the middle east. To help them.
The only peace we really must make is with the ones who are trying to blow us up, aka terrorist.
I never said all muslims are terrorist. I know a few muslims, and they are very nice.

Plus, like Ari said, it wouldn't be right to build something there focusing on one religion. A memorial would be better.
Well i was thinking they could build a memorial garden or statue near the mousque to honor those who died in the bombing
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/16/2010, 6:14 pm

salvadorbahiana from the ABC Message Boards wrote:I just want to point out that the media has misrepresented this project from the outset. It is not simply intended to be a Mosque, but a community center that will have, as well, as Mosque within it. It is to be called the Cordoba Center, and proposes to create a space for meetings, performances, forums, presentations and other public programs. (it was explained to me that it seeks to be like the 96th Street Y). They see it as a way to unite peoples of different backgrounds, provide opportunities for cross-cultural exchange as well as to provide a space for Muslims to worship. There is broad inter-denominational support for the effort and I think it is unfortunate that it has been painted with such a broad-- and inaccurate-- brush.
Because of this, which was found at this link, my opinion will probably be a ton different from everyone else. Just warning you guys.

If the project were word-for-word what the media has turned it into... Well, I almost want to agree with the majority of you, which are saying something dedicated to one religion shouldn't be placed over the Twin Towers. I'm thinking of it from a different perspective though: what would happen if some of the few stupid, immature Christians from America flew over to Mecca and obliterated the Masjid al-Haram? Naturally they would probably build another mosque over that, even though close to nothing could fully replace it, being the largest mosque in the world (says Wiki). Why? Because it's their sole religion, and rebuilding it would only show their resistance and strength against Christians. So I find it more reasonable to build a church there to show the same thing to the terrorists.
Then again, while typing this I noticed Christianity isn't the only legal religion in America, so... Yeah, heck with that ramble up there. Just forget religion period. Build a memorial. Or a park. I personally like the park idea better, but memorial's fine too.

Now, about what's actually going to happen. It's a decent idea if it's going to meet up to its purpose. I just hope warfare doesn't break out within that center, as most likely not everybody's going to be respectful or remember the golden rule. I just find one issue: if you're going to have one religion, you're gonna need both. Having only a mosque there, to me, sounds like a sign of surrender. "Yes, though we do believe our similar yet battling religions can mingle peacefully, you're the better religion." There's more Muslim in that Cordoba Center than Christian. Either keep it equal in order for the sense of equality to remain there, or get rid of both to keep equality. Either eat the whole cookie or don't eat it at all. (I dunno. xD) To put it in English, you should either have a mosque and a church in there, or neither.

Now, Haile, you do have a point that not all Muslims are terrorists, but I'm tagging along with what Noah said, and I don't feel the need to restate it.

Also, while I don't know how many mosques, if any, are present in New York, it's not like Muslims are being forced to live in New York. They can always move to a different city or town with a mosque.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/16/2010, 6:16 pm

Well what if they have a job there or cant afford to move or were born and raised there and just dont want to leave
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 7/16/2010, 6:31 pm

From what I've learned about the Muslim religion in World History (since I don't have my text book and my text notes aren't in reach, I'm speaking from memory), visiting a mosque isn't mandatory. One of the requirments is to face towards Mecca to pray each day.
Honestly, I don't know what that has to do with the topic, but it sounded smart and I didn't want to delete it after I wrote it. I guess it relates to the fact about mosques being in different towns and all that.
Anyways, I might be wrong about the visiting the mosque thing, but I think the facing towards Mecca fact is correct. I would look it up in my text notes but I don't know where they are anymore...
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/16/2010, 6:55 pm

If religion was important enough to them that they really wanted to go to a mosque, as it isn't a requirement like Anna correctly stated (in fact, all of her post was accurate), then I believe they would sacrifice whatever they could to get to that mosque. Either that, or they just wouldn't go at all. As long as you pray towards Mecca five times a day at the designated times and follow all of their other Pillars of Faith and other rules, then they can be valid Muslims wherever they want.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 7/16/2010, 6:55 pm

EDIT: Ninja'd

But yeah, I'd have to go with the "avoid everything and anything that has to do with religion" route. I believe any argument I have has already been said and doesn't need to be reiterated.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 472

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 7/16/2010, 8:11 pm

Haileadorable211 wrote:
rattyjol wrote:A mosque? Definitely not. Some kind of memorial, sure, but not a mosque. Razz What are they hoping to accomplish, pleasing the terrorists? Razz

I really dont think there are that many mousques in new york if there are any at all and I was thinking they could build like a memorial garden or statue infront of the mousque and i found the terrorist part really offensive.Not all muslims are "terrorists" and the mouspque can promote well peace.Maybe people may be a bit nicer.Ive seen plenty of christian and jewish churches in new york(ive been 2 times) but not one mousque.

I never said all Muslims were terrorists. I'm saying that those terrorists are Muslims, and it's not going to make any of them hate America any less if we build a mosque there.

(Also, Jews don't have churches. We have synagogues and the Holy Temple.)

Cyn431 wrote:
salvadorbahiana from the ABC Message Boards wrote:I just want to point out that the media has misrepresented this project from the outset. It is not simply intended to be a Mosque, but a community center that will have, as well, as Mosque within it. It is to be called the Cordoba Center, and proposes to create a space for meetings, performances, forums, presentations and other public programs. (it was explained to me that it seeks to be like the 96th Street Y). They see it as a way to unite peoples of different backgrounds, provide opportunities for cross-cultural exchange as well as to provide a space for Muslims to worship. There is broad inter-denominational support for the effort and I think it is unfortunate that it has been painted with such a broad-- and inaccurate-- brush.
Because of this, which was found at this link, my opinion will probably be a ton different from everyone else. Just warning you guys.

If the project were word-for-word what the media has turned it into... Well, I almost want to agree with the majority of you, which are saying something dedicated to one religion shouldn't be placed over the Twin Towers. I'm thinking of it from a different perspective though: what would happen if some of the few stupid, immature Christians from America flew over to Mecca and obliterated the Masjid al-Haram? Naturally they would probably build another mosque over that, even though close to nothing could fully replace it, being the largest mosque in the world (says Wiki). Why? Because it's their sole religion, and rebuilding it would only show their resistance and strength against Christians. So I find it more reasonable to build a church there to show the same thing to the terrorists.
Then again, while typing this I noticed Christianity isn't the only legal religion in America, so... Yeah, heck with that ramble up there. Just forget religion period. Build a memorial. Or a park. I personally like the park idea better, but memorial's fine too.

Now, about what's actually going to happen. It's a decent idea if it's going to meet up to its purpose. I just hope warfare doesn't break out within that center, as most likely not everybody's going to be respectful or remember the golden rule. I just find one issue: if you're going to have one religion, you're gonna need both. Having only a mosque there, to me, sounds like a sign of surrender. "Yes, though we do believe our similar yet battling religions can mingle peacefully, you're the better religion." There's more Muslim in that Cordoba Center than Christian. Either keep it equal in order for the sense of equality to remain there, or get rid of both to keep equality. Either eat the whole cookie or don't eat it at all. (I dunno. xD) To put it in English, you should either have a mosque and a church in there, or neither.

Now, Haile, you do have a point that not all Muslims are terrorists, but I'm tagging along with what Noah said, and I don't feel the need to restate it.

Also, while I don't know how many mosques, if any, are present in New York, it's not like Muslims are being forced to live in New York. They can always move to a different city or town with a mosque.

Well, that's better than just a mosque, and I agree with you that it shouldn't just be a mosque. But I disagree with the statement that there should just be a mosque and a church. Plenty of Jews died in 9/11 too, and I'm sure people of many other religions as well. It would be difficult to have places of worship for every religion, so I think there shouldn't be any place of worship at all, or at the very most one that encompasses all religions. Actually, if it's possible, that might be the best, because it might promote more peace between religions.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by Taquito 7/16/2010, 8:30 pm

Building a Mosque? That's just wrong, and this is coming from a Muslim...why don't they find a better location to put it? ;P
A memorial would be way better.
Taquito
Taquito
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1227

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/16/2010, 8:38 pm

i guess thats the only open space
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah the Flood 7/16/2010, 11:26 pm

Technically, if someone wanted a mosque THAT bad, they'd find a place to put it.
A memorial would be the best; like, a statue. A statue of the twin towers, smaller scale of course, with a speech on a plauque dedicated to all those who died or had loved ones that died.

One thing, if its gona have a mosque inside it, and other religious areas, it wouldn't be right. Because they'd be doing it to please the majorities, but then they'd get alot of uproar from the minorities.
I bet you, if New York doesn't have a mosque, that it doesn't have abunch of other religeous places of whorship.

Besides; there is plenty of places to build something in New York; Its filled with many run down centers that could be demolished.
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/17/2010, 3:55 am

I'm sure there's another place to put a mosque. There is also another place to put a church, or a temple, or another place of worship.

I don't see who came up with this idea. I think whoever were to come up with the idea of putting ANY place of worship there is just plain disrespectful.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/19/2010, 2:41 pm

Haileadorable211 wrote:

They should build one...SOMEWHERE ELSE. That there is sacred ground, I don't even think a memorial should be placed there. The site enough is a memorial. It is grounds where strife happened, and peace followed. It should be kept that way, in my opinion.
Yes, I think muslims (is that the religion?) should have a religious place to practice their beliefs, just as I'm sure christians, the jewish, etc also have in new york.
we know not all muslims are terrorists. i'm sure whoever said that did not mean to offend you. that's their opinion. you have a right to challenge it, or feel how you want to about it. that's your feelings, while i'm sure that's not how she meant to come across.
let me challenge your opinion-
say they did build a mosque. muslims are glad they now have a place to worship, but now christians, jewish, and other religions are angry. why didn't they build a church? or another religious house?
that's why I think we're better off without one. plus the reason I first stated.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 410

http://www.lilacxxlauren.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next