The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion

+10
Taquito
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Cyn431
amrgirl
Arianna
MCRRockz123
Horsey
Noah the Flood
rattyjol
Haileadorable211
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion

Post by Rai 7/19/2010, 2:52 pm

I totally agree with Arianna.

I'm a Christian and I wouldn't even promote putting a church there. It should be a place to honor all the people who died, not just a specific group of them. I would think a memorial would be much more appropriate. nod Also like Arianna said, I think that's just a rumor... I don't think anyone would allow that to happen, since it might offend some of the families who lost loved ones. Razz
Rai
Rai
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1321

Back to top Go down

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion - Page 2 Empty Re: Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion

Post by Rai 7/19/2010, 2:57 pm

Oooh, Lauren made a good point! Very Happy
I'm respectful of atheists, muslims, satanists, catholics, and other religions... but I think that the muslims should be considerate and build their mosque elsewhere. I'm sure that not all the people that died that day were muslims. I'd be fine if they built a memorial or left it the same: but it should have a church, temple, mosque, or worshipping place of any sort built there. It's a sacred place.

And Haile: they could build a Mosque almost anywhere else in New York. I'm sorry that they don't have on there: there might not be any churches of my religion in my area either. But that doesn't mean I go over to a graveyard and build a church of my religion on it, does it?
Rai
Rai
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1321

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/19/2010, 3:12 pm

I think I don't have much else to say here, but I do want to point out that I was reading an article and the place in question to build the mosque is two blocks away.

That's not very far away, yes, but that doesn't mean it's actually there. I don't exactly know much about 9/11 due to the fact that I was 5 and that all I've watched about it was a 50-minute documentary on youtube about the people who jumped from the buildings, but I think it's a respectful distance. But I don't know.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion - Page 2 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/19/2010, 11:32 pm

I think everyone here has pretty much said what I wanted to say already. I think absolutely nothing should be built there- not even a fruit stand. The place where the Twin Towers stood is a sacred spot, and it will always serve as a reminder of the people who died.

In more symbolic terms, I feel like a mosque would be kinda of...contradictory? Looking at it in wordly terms, we had some Muslims blow up a symbol of our nation. Why should we put a place honouring Muslims on the spot where hundreds of Americans were slain? (Not that I am against Muslims in any way. I have no problem with the Muslims in our country, or in the Middle-East who had nothing to do with this bombing. They obviously have a right to worship the religion of their choice)

I have no problem with a mosque being built anywhere else. Seriously, America was founded on the principle of freedom of religion. I don't care if you're Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Muslim, Pastafarian, just keep your places of worship off Ground Zero.

In somewhat relevant topics, I read back a few pages, and I think we need to keep this a little more down-toned. >.> Not to sound like your mother, or to pretend I'm as important as Shadow or the mods, but I think we're all a little too young to get in religious debates (most people here are like 13, right? Seriously guys. Religion's a little complex for that >.<) So I think a nice exchange of opinions would be dandy, without eating each other's head off, or bashing Muslims or anything other religions. Yay. (Not that anyone has been bashing Muslims or something, but who knows when we'll get carried away...?)

In completely irrelevant topics, when I read the posts quickly, I thought people were talking about building a "mosquito" not a "mosque". And I'm against the construction of a mosquito as well. I rather like my skin bug-bite free D= (Ha ha, like I've ever had bug-bite free skin...)
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Build a Mousque?Whats your opinion - Page 2 Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/20/2010, 2:00 pm

I'm agreeing with points made after me. And I'm also fully agreeing with Newmsie, we're all way too young to be arguing about this. And I didn't know it was 2 blocks away, if it's off the site, that's fine with me. No one made that clear until now, so thanks to whoever said that.

But I'm even too young to be arguing religion. None of us really understands it, actually. As we grow and mature more things become clear to us, just as I found I don't believe in any God, I may believe in the future, and so on. The future isn't set in stone.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 410

http://www.lilacxxlauren.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/20/2010, 2:09 pm

Though I haven't much to say to this debate, I'd like to debate another point.

Newms said that we're too young to be debating this. I don't think that you can be 'too young'. If we have an opinion and a right to express it (as far as the forum rules allow us) and I think that that's not the question. If people aren't mature enough to argue their point without going into degrading flame war material, should they be debating? I don't think so. But if we can act like mature teenagers (like they actually exist Razz), then I think there's no problem with debating. Very Happy
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/20/2010, 2:37 pm

I agree you can never be to young to speak your mind
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Female Posts : 1070

http://sweetshoplove.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/20/2010, 8:36 pm

Bah, I'm not saying we're too young to debate, I'm saying that most people here are too young to fully grasp the concepts we argue about. While there are those out-of-the-ordinary teenagers who actually read newspapers, and are aware of worldy events, the majority of a child's opinions will be formed by things they hear their parents or friends say.

I'm ready to admit that I don't know nearly enough to make an extremely educated post on this. I can only read things in articles or newspapers, and watch television reports. For now, I won't be able to comprehend religious and political aspects of this simply because I lack the experience!

When I mentioned that some of us are 'too young to be getting involved' I didn't mean they lacked intelligence or had inferior, undeveloped minds, I simply meant we all lacked the real-world knowledge and experience.

Anyway, that's completely off-topic, so back to the mosque....xD
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/21/2010, 2:28 am

The Newms wrote:Bah, I'm not saying we're too young to debate, I'm saying that most people here are too young to fully grasp the concepts we argue about. While there are those out-of-the-ordinary teenagers who actually read newspapers, and are aware of worldy events, the majority of a child's opinions will be formed by things they hear their parents or friends say.

I'm ready to admit that I don't know nearly enough to make an extremely educated post on this. I can only read things in articles or newspapers, and watch television reports. For now, I won't be able to comprehend religious and political aspects of this simply because I lack the experience!

When I mentioned that some of us are 'too young to be getting involved' I didn't mean they lacked intelligence or had inferior, undeveloped minds, I simply meant we all lacked the real-world knowledge and experience.

Anyway, that's completely off-topic, so back to the mosque....xD
Well, I for one think that it is possible to fully grasp what we're talking about. If the people arguing don't use concrete sources to form their opinions and argue them, then it's their own fault and puts them at a disadvantage in the debate. On the other hand, if they're able to be knowledgeable and find sources to use, then there's no reason they can't have an opinion. There are online sources (the New York Times, Huffington Post, Reuters or AP News) and there are newspapers, and even those can be biased.

Maybe I can't make an extremely educated post either, but that's fine, because I'm not extremely educated. I know about what I'm talking about, be it religion or politics, to have my own opinion. Sure, there are a lot of well-educated adults who know dozens of times as much as me, but I can also say that there are some ignorant adults who simply don't pay attention and don't know as much as me.

As for what this has to do with religion and politics, I get what you're saying but I don't agree. The same could apply for a debate on, say, books. Over time your opinions are bound to change (or at least, most people's are) and while as a teenager you might have been a protester for the side of vampire novels, at sixty you'll probably argue on the side of mysteries or what have you. Then again, that was a sucky example, but what I'm trying to say is that politics and religion are not only for the 'big people', and it's teenagers responsibility (or at least, I believe so) to learn about both politics and religions other than their own. Because I'm pretty sure that you don't wake up as an 18-year-old with well-formed opinions about the world if you don't actually investigate it first.

And I think that debates like this are useful. Maybe not this one in particular, but ones encompassing things like religion and politics in general. They give you perspectives, although maybe not the most professional ones, on what is happening in the world today. And maybe these perspectives are blasphemy to you, but even if they are it's sharing knowledge and if you know more than the others, you can right their wrong. And ideally, even with a bunch of 12-16-year-olds arguing, everyone sees into some point of view they haven't before and I think that's the whole point of debates.

I know this wasn't related to the topic, my bad. Sometimes I get a bit carried away.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/21/2010, 9:34 am

Ari's first post on this page made me change my opinion. You CAN speak your mind, no matter your age. What I think now is that when you age and grow older, your opinions might be more educated, with more reason behind them.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/21/2010, 10:07 pm

You've made extremely valid points, which I'm not going to attempt to disprove just so I can strengthen my own. I think we should both stick by our opinions, and not further continue this debate because A) we're not going to sway the other one's thoughts no matter how hard we try, and B) this actually isn't the topic we're supposed to be discussing...xP

And while you're obviously not going to wake up one day just knowing everything, I'm just against people who get carried away in debates and pretend to know things when they're twelve or thirteen, just for example. There are obviously ignorant adults in the world, and there are children smarter than them. I think my point may have been misinterpreted; I never said children and pre-teens shouldn't or couldn't debate in general, I just mentioned I think there are topics that shouldn't be debated simply because they are too complex for most people. Religion and theology are extremely deep fields that even the birghtest college professors can't fully grasp, and they stir up a lot of controversy among debaters.

While this isn't a wholly religious debate, I felt as if we might've been straying into that sort of area, and I didn't want this thread to turn into a madhouse of offended, hot-headed debaters.

xP Now that I've said that, I'm really going to stop posting about this topic, seeing as we're actually preventing any further debate on the actual topic; being the mosque itself.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by B 7/21/2010, 10:12 pm

Newms, did you call for me? You said B. ^^ Just kiddin.

I know for a fact it's a rumor. Imma put this like Death note, first, L tried to taunt Kira with a broadcast which Kira was happy with. He continued killing. So, it's like saying the terrorist is Kira and L is us. We'd be taunting and pleasing them, by practically showing them that they're allowed here. We wouldn't know if they were immigrants or not, causing large suspicions and threats.
B
B
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 6404

http://nerds54.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/21/2010, 10:41 pm

Heh, wow, you have amazing spidey-senses...Er, B-senses!

And lovely analogy. xD
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/21/2010, 10:50 pm

B wrote:Newms, did you call for me? You said B. ^^ Just kiddin.

I know for a fact it's a rumor. Imma put this like Death note, first, L tried to taunt Kira with a broadcast which Kira was happy with. He continued killing. So, it's like saying the terrorist is Kira and L is us. We'd be taunting and pleasing them, by practically showing them that they're allowed here. We wouldn't know if they were immigrants or not, causing large suspicions and threats.
Ok so your bassicly saying that muslims are terrorits and building a mousque would make them happy so we cant do it?I know you might not be emplying that but thats just how im receiving it.Its not saying that they're welcome here its giving them a place of worship and if this is about it being on ground zero it turns out its going to be 2 blocks away
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/26/2010, 1:36 pm

Maybe you should update the first post or the title with the 2 block radius thing. Then you might get some different opinions.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Haileadorable211 7/26/2010, 3:04 pm

got it
Haileadorable211
Haileadorable211
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Thats smoky the cigar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2