The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before?

5 posters

Go down

Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? Empty Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before?

Post by Dragon Lover 7/16/2010, 1:24 pm

Hi, people.

Okay, I'm just going to get to the point of this thread.

So, today, I'm on iTunes, right? Box pops up telling me I need to update to version 9.2 so I click 'Okay' and 'Install' and all that jazz; I wait a half hour for the thing to install and at the end--right before it would have finished, of course--it tells me my computer ran out of space. So, following the directions of the all-knowing gray box, I click 'cancel' on the download.

Things freeze up for a bit, and then run smoothly. I blow ten more dollars on a few songs. I go to update my iPod with the songs, and I can't see the little option that brings you to your iPod. I unplug and re-plug my iPod back in a few times, but nothing happens, just that annoying pling-plunk! type sound the computer makes when you plug something into a USB slot.

I figure to myself, "Okay, maybe iTunes is just being a pain." So I ex out of iTunes. When I go back and click on the icon, what does the gray box of doom tell me? Wonderful news:

iTunes is missing some files and cannot run. Please reinstall iTunes.

And when I try to go reinstall iTunes, it won't work. ]:

So, my main question; has this happened to you before? If so, were the songs that you downloaded (but forgot to back up...) still available if you singed back into your old iTunes Store account, under the Purchased tab?

Thank you for clickin',
-A very unhappy-with-technology-at-the-moment DL
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

MATT II IS MY OLDER BROTHER! =D
Credit to Ave for my amazing siggie. [:
Female Posts : 9059

Back to top Go down

Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? Empty Re: Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before?

Post by shadowsowner888 7/16/2010, 2:15 pm

Ohhh my gosh. Razz Yeah, I can see why you said you hate iTunes.

It never happened to me before, at least with iTunes. Cus I had a similar situation with Sims 3 where I cancelled an update before it was finished, and then it wouldn't work, so I had to reinstall it all . . . painful. The downloaded stuff was still there, at least. XD And I know it has nothing to do with Apple, but still.

From what I understand, if you uninstall and reinstall iTunes, you'll still have all your music . . . the iTunes library itself shouldn't be affected, just the application. You can look that up online to verify if my uncertain word isn't enough, though, or make a copy of the whole file and hide it somewhere just to be sure it won't get deleted. (Though if your computer ran out of space, that may not work so well. xD)

And if you're about to die because nothing will work with so little space, there's two options. First of all, you can go find another website with the older versions of iTunes and download those; from what I understand, it was just trying to update it that caused the space issues, so the older version should work fine if you don't update and cancel again.

The other option is to just go and clear the computer out. Razz I don't know if it's actually your computer, though, but if there's anything in the trash bin, at least emptying that can help.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? 1312Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? 2412Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? 3349Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? 3548Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before? Empty Re: Gonna Kill My iTunes -- This ever happened to anyone else before?

Post by lauren 7/17/2010, 3:42 pm

I don't really understand (sorry, I've seen so many iTunes errors, they all blend together. They all mean the same thing. The darned thing is stupid and doesn't work. xD)
But I do underdstand the frustration. iTunes' gray boxes are the most stupidestestest things ever.
If the music is still on your iPod, I'd take a leap and uninstall iTunes, then do 'transfer purchases' on the re-installed most current version.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 410

http://www.lilacxxlauren.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/17/2010, 5:37 pm

Blech. My ex-friend had something similar happen, but I'm not sure if it was totally like what you have going on.

I don't have any separate advice exactly, but I can kind of support what Muffin's saying. Do you have a USB Drive that has enough memory available to hold iTunes? You do? Sweet, copy the iTunes program onto there so you have a spare copy. Then I say you should uninstall iTunes and either try reinstalling iTunes 9.2 again or go for an older version as Muffin suggested. If something works but you lost your library, guess what? That copy in your USB should still have it.
I'm sorry, that probably didn't help much. xD
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 7/17/2010, 11:19 pm

I don't know what to do about iTunes directly, but try following what other people have said. If you purchased the songs, then your account should be charged, and there should be some way to access the songs. And I think that when you buy a song on iTunes, it goes into a folder in your main 'Music' folder. I know that it does that on my Windows, but that's just me.
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Female Posts : 3651

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down