The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P

4 posters

Go down

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P Empty The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P

Post by DreamCatcher81 8/13/2009, 1:37 am

Maturity: Um. . . Being abused by parents but not really graphic, just mentions that his back hurts. . . xD

Fantasy: Mermaids [I think I like to write mermaid stories. . . xD]

The Voice

Kyle heard her voice in his head. He always heard her voice in his head when he was on the water; her beautiful, soft voice. It echoed in his head day and night. He would see the flash of a sapphire blue tail. But never more, he never saw any more than that. And he never would.

“Why,” he would ask every single time.

Because, the girl would only reply. I can’t show you. He never knew why she couldn’t and if she ever would, but now he never would. He was here for a different purpose today, a sad purpose. He remembered what had happened this morning.

“Kyle, we have some important news for you son,” his father said with a grunt, as he eased into his chair and flipped on the TV. His mother bustled over and snatched the remote out of his hand, turning the TV back off.

“Not now Charles,” she chided him, making a clicking noise in her throat. Kyle stood absolutely still, his gaze sweeping warily from one parent to the next. His mother turned back to him, clearing her throat awkwardly. “Honey, we’re going t- t- to,” she stuttered nervously. What was wrong with her today?

His father quickly broke in for her. “Son, we’re going to move to Indiana on Sunday. My company was sold and I have to go there or else I’ll be out of work,” he announced in his deep booming voice, looking carefully at Kyle, watching for his reaction. His mother’s eyes were trained on his face as well, waiting for his expression to change.
Sunday? That was in two days!

He stood absolutely still for a long time, unmoving, unspeaking, like a statue. He stood like that so long that his mother rushed to him and gave him a one-armed hug. There would not be an ocean in Indiana. In Washington he had the Pacific Ocean to visit her. He didn't think he could live without her.

“Honey, are you ok,” his mother asked comfortingly, a look of concern written all over her worried features.

“No,” he whispered so quiet his mother had to bend in to hear. He shook his head vehemently. “No I’m not ok,” he repeated much louder this time although still not yelling. And then he rushed to the car, grabbed the keys from his pocket, and drove away, despite the look of horror from his parents now standing in the garage doorway.

He had drove to the Pacific Ocean and grabbed their boat, heading far out into the ocean. And now he was here, searching for
her.

You are upset, a gentle voice resounded inside of his head.

“Yes,” he replied. “Very upset.” The girl hovered right under the surface of the water, worried for the boy whom she had grown so close to in the last month. Kyle looked over the edge, peering down through the murky surface, searching for a flash of color; a flash of her.

I still cannot show myself to you, the girl said quietly. Her soft azure eyes grew soft without regret although he could not see them change.

“Why,” Kyle asked again. It was a ritual and it was only right to do it before he left for the last time. The boy sat quietly, waiting for the, because, but he never heard it.

Because, she started off and he groaned inwardly. Because you are not one of us, the voice in his head replied. He froze. She had actually answered his question. Maybe she had sensed that it was goodbye; that they would never see each other again.

The girl had not known he was leaving, but she understood something was wrong, very wrong.

Tell me what is wrong, she asked softly, her tail flicked slightly above the surface, quickly falling back under but Kyle caught it out of the corner of his eyes. It sent little ripples skidding across the surface of the dark water. Kyle dipped his finger in the water, twirling it in circles, watching it create its own ripples as well.

He hesitated, knowing he had to tell her sometime. “You don’t want to know,” he finally settled on telling her.

Tell me what is wrong, she repeated and although her voice was gentle, it was no longer a request; it was a command.

“I’m moving,” he whispered hoarsely, turning his face away and wiping his face on his sleeve.

You’re crying, the girl observed quietly, comfortingly. Her voice was like a safe hold for him. She was his refuge from the above water world. She was the only thing that helped him get through his parents. They fought day and night. He knew they were getting divorced. They tried to hide it but it was obvious. Even if he hadn't found the documents hidden in the bottom of his father's sock drawers, he could, well practically anyone could recognize it from all their fighting.

Sometimes they even took it out on him. He winced, gingerly reaching with his right arm towards his sore back, carefully prodding the wounds. He had many long scars on his back. He had had them ever since he could remember. Even from when he was a baby. He had new, fresh red streaks marking his back reminding him of his father’s anger management. He usually escaped here when his father was in a rage but sometime’s he wasn’t lucky enough, such as Tuesday.

He shook his head, trying to escape the memories, and brought his hand away from his back and put it on his leg.

“I am not,” he replied hotly. The girl didn’t pressure the matter. She knew he was a rather stubborn boy.

When are you moving? she asked, her trained eyes easily cutting through the dark surface to the boys face above.

"Sunday," he replied morosely, looking away from the water. Although he couldn't see her, he knew she could see him.

Where will you be going?

"Indiana." He spoke in monotone, his voice void of emotion. "There are no oceans in Indiana," he informed her of the little fact.

I know, she replied sadly. I will miss you.

“You know I will too,” Kyle promised her. “I should probably be going and just get the whipping I know my dad’s about to give me over with.” He grimaced in anticipation. “Goodbye.” He stuck his hand in the water. He didn’t know why but he felt like he should. He knew she wouldn’t shake his hand but it was worth a try.

I can’t let you leave, the girl said, determination suddenly entering her tone.

Then to his surprise he felt something grasp his hand and the girl pulled him under.

The boat still floated aimlessly on the choppy surface of the water, but now it was absent of an occupant. That was how it would be found hours later, far away from the shore, just drifting in the ocean currents.

Later there would be reports of someone or something drowning a boy in the Pacific Ocean off the Puget Sound coast, but no one really knew what happened.

Kyle’s parents went looking for him late one night on their boat. They never found anything, but once, their flashlight beam caught two creatures with the top half of their bodies humans and their lower halves fish tails, a male and a female. They could swear the boy looked just like their son and that he even waved at them. But they shook their heads, blaming it on that they needed sleep- for they had spent the past week staying up late and searching for the boy- and that they couldn’t see things right because of that.

I guess they never found out the truth. . . The truth that their son had appeared to them one more time before vanishing into the deep blue Pacific Ocean where he lived peacefully with his new mate and away from the pain they had caused him.
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P Siggy
Female Posts : 2460

Back to top Go down

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P Empty Re: The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P

Post by Jinx 8/13/2009, 7:42 am

Thats wonderful!
I love it.
Jinx
Jinx
Published Author
Published Author

{{Avvie thanks to Ave]

I wish I had covered all my tracks completely
'Cause I'm so afraid
Is that the light at the far end of the tunnel
Or just the train?~Tidal wave, Owl city.
Female Posts : 3205

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/17481697803

Back to top Go down

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P Empty Re: The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P

Post by shadowsowner888 8/13/2009, 9:00 am

x3 I feel like crying. Even though it's short, that is an awesome story.

(OMG. Very Happy We should so put it in TwigBook! Haha, lol, you probably wanted to do something else, though. xD)
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 1312The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 2412The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 3349The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 3548The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 8/13/2009, 9:38 am

Haha thanks guys!

Maybe. It's being edited for grammar and then I'm sending it to a magazine, but maybe if it gets rejected. . . tongue
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 8/13/2009, 10:40 am

Ahh, okay. Very Happy
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 1312The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 2412The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 3349The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 3548The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 8/13/2009, 10:54 am

Wow, that's an awesome story. I love it!
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

The Voice [Finished] Very Short Story :P 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamCatcher81 8/13/2009, 3:07 pm

Thanks!
DreamCatcher81
DreamCatcher81
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down