The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shades of Gray (Story Idea)

5 posters

Go down

Shades of Gray (Story Idea) Empty Shades of Gray (Story Idea)

Post by Selene Hime 2/24/2010, 11:24 pm

Maturity: Post-battle, some blood, and a tense situation.
Fantasy: Winged humanoids, (in the actual story): mythical creatures and deity reference, as well as Manega (Magic).

Shades of Gray

This idea actually came from a dream (Now I'm wondering what goes on in my subconscious mind on a regular bases ...), and I'm not really sure what caused it, but it was a mix of midevil fantasy and mythology. Since it kept going between first and third person, though, I'm not sure who the main protagonist is, XD.

I also don't remember the last part of it, but this is the beginning. The next part is a piece of plot involved, from what I remembered.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Essentially humans with avian qualities, such as lighter build and white or black wings. However, their race is divided by prejudice and oftentimes battle. The latter of which almost amounting to war. Olden myths only drive the wedge deeper, with most of the light and dark winged population. Each say that they wage strife in the name of Ma'at (Goddess of Truth), yet battle marches on.

Lance-wielding Commander Kyra, a dark winged warrior, is captured during one of such encounters. Being already wounded, it would be sufficient to say that the opposing side's only interest would be keeping her alive long enough to encounter their overlord. Tethered and wings weighted, there is little left to fight with. By arrival several days later, her still open wound had become infected. Complications ensue.

Kyra's encounter with the white-winged Lord initially proves uneventful - In terms of interesting banter - upon her refusal to speak, having already neared death's door. His reaction, on the other hand, is anything but dull: Ordering for a healer, no less. All of his actions having a double meaning, like a game of chess. Also determined to unlock the secrets of his dark winged foes ... As well as the roughly scribed myth recently uncovered.

I'll include an excerpt from the dream itself, though, with a few minor edits. It is still a little rough, though. Maybe someone can tell me what they think?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Footsteps sounded up the corridor, a gentle breeze slipping through the stone cut windows. Candlelight flickered slightly, before trailing back upwards again. The golden swath outside was slowly fading into the dark cobalt of evening, tendrils of lavender trailing across it. A slight hiss of pain suddenly cut through the tranquility, a small group of warriors rounding the corner. Scarlet dripped onto the gray flagstone, a single figure half doubled over in the ring of white plumaged males. Their partially extended wings gleamed with a golden tinge in the light, in contrast to the female’s deep ebony plumage.

Kyra swallowed painfully, jaw clenching as one jerked the tether that bound her hands behind her back. Woven hemp bit into her already raw wrists, making their point clear. The feminine warrior’s fingers twitched slightly, as if curling around the cold steel of her confiscated lance. She forced herself to straighten after a moment, biting her lip when her aching and torn muscles screamed in protest, trying to remove her shoulder length tresses from her eyes. Refusing to give the satisfaction of utter submission.

She briefly bowed her head as the pace resumed, before finally succeeding in getting the bloodstained umber locks out of her face when she raised it again. Hardened amber eyes, half glazed with worsening illness, soon fastened upon the dagger tucked in the belt of a male ahead of her. Its alloy hilt was well polished, as was the curved weapon’s sheath. Tempting, but unfortunately out of reach. Frustratingly so, considering it could possibly be her way out. Kyra’s gaze flicked to the sides, stifling a sigh upon seeing they were just out of reach of her restrained wings. They had been quite thorough in removing any possible weapon she possessed.

The young woman stiffened slightly as stairs came into view, knowing they’d irritate her still open – and quite possibly infected – wound. Although now two days old, the gash hadn’t even begun to placate. Torn black cloth directly beneath her ribcage remained quite moist, as the offending broadsword had taken more than she’d expected. Needless to say, the wound still bled. Kyra stiffened slightly as they began mounting the stairs, not about to be dragged up them. She’d preserve what dignity she could.

Candlelight steadily increased as the group continued, eventually coming to a halt at an open archway. “Lord Anias?” the lead warrior queried, making their presence known. A now familiar male glanced up from the scroll parchment in his hands, brushing a loose pale blonde lock out of his eyes. The nobleman stood, motioning the others aside. A slight smile touched his lips, even reaching his piercing silver gaze, upon meeting the feminine warrior’s glower.

Anias slowly extended his ivory shaded wings to stretch them, before once more folding them against his back. Having exchanged his simple commoner’s garb for material that suited his rank made a clear difference, the fine white and emerald colored cloth clearly standing out. Both his darker colored breeches and pale tunic were loosely bound together with a deep blue sash, a curved saber tucked underneath the band. “I trust you did not have much trouble after my departure?”

“No, sire,” the warrior murmured, dropping into a kneeling position when his overlord’s wandering eyes fastened on him. Amusement touched the lightly clad young man’s façade upon noticing that his ‘guest’ was the only one to ignore common gestures. Kyra blatantly held his gaze, though silently. Ignoring the order of her foes to kneel at the same time. A sharp gasp was jolted from her when one of those surrounding her suddenly lashed out, knocking the wind out of her as the hilt of his weapon connected with her wound. She slowly inhaled, though stiffened more so when the now bloodied weapon retracted.

Anias’s brow arched, before shaking his head. “Nay. Stay your hand. One cannot expect the norm out of an opposing combatant, can they? That aside … There are some things I would like to speak of. Commander Kyra’s corpse does me little good.”
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 426

Back to top Go down

Shades of Gray (Story Idea) Empty Re: Shades of Gray (Story Idea)

Post by rattyjol 2/25/2010, 1:41 am

Whoaaa... That's amazing. Very Happy I love it. More?
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 2/25/2010, 1:36 pm

rattyjol wrote:Whoaaa... That's amazing. Very Happy I love it. More?

Thanks, Ratty. I'm glad that you like it. *Huggles*

I guess I'll finish the idea/character sheets and world building, then. Admittedly enough, I'm a bit eager to get started on SoG. ^_^
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 2/26/2010, 1:58 pm

Neat! I love the title!

I don't know what it is. I think it's your word choices. Like, the way you structure your sentences? It's amazing.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 2/26/2010, 2:02 pm

First of all, wootness for inspiring dreams! Very Happy I've gotten so, so much plot out of my dreams that it'll take me years to write the stories for them all. xD

Anyway, that's amazing. Very Happy I really like it! Your writing is so detailed and wonderful, and the plot is really interesting. I'd love to read more.

I was wondering, though, if the color of their wings meant anything particular? Or is it just a random color?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 1312Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 2412Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 3349Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 3548Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 2/26/2010, 2:44 pm

Akeria wrote:Neat! I love the title!

I don't know what it is. I think it's your word choices. Like, the way you structure your sentences? It's amazing.

Oh, thank you. I'm actually kind of surprised that even those rough eight paragraphs have been so well received, but that's a good thing I suppose. ^_^

shadowsowner888 wrote:First of all, wootness for inspiring dreams! Very Happy I've gotten so, so much plot out of my dreams that it'll take me years to write the stories for them all. xD

Anyway, that's amazing. Very Happy I really like it! Your writing is so detailed and wonderful, and the plot is really interesting. I'd love to read more.

I was wondering, though, if the color of their wings meant anything particular? Or is it just a random color?

Lolz, yeah. I agree. I haven't had that many that qualify to the extent of what SoG has, but they're usually pretty interesting when I remember them.

*Huggles* Well, I'm working on it. Still in the world/character-building process, though. Of course, you can expect the plot to expand. Wink

Yes, it does have a meaning, XD. Part of the title "Shades of Gray", is actually implemented in their wings. The other part is based on, and changing them, the general belief of light and dark. In this, the line between good and evil is very thin indeed.
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 2/26/2010, 2:47 pm

Awesome! Very Happy My theory was right.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 1312Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 2412Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 3349Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 3548Shades of Gray (Story Idea) 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 2/26/2010, 2:51 pm

shadowsowner888 wrote:Awesome! Very Happy My theory was right.

*Smiles* Yep, it was. Besides, you were pretty much spot-on.
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyro201 5/8/2010, 1:10 pm

Man i wish my dreams gave me that much inspriation. I have some pretty epic dreams but when i try to write them down i forget most of what was in it.
Hyro201
Hyro201
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Male Posts : 743

Back to top Go down

Post by Selene Hime 5/9/2010, 10:59 pm

*Smiles* Thank you, Hydro. Mine usually aren't of this caliber, but it was such a vivid one that I actually remembered most of it.
Selene Hime
Selene Hime
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down