The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all.

4 posters

Go down

I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. Empty I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all.

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/13/2010, 12:47 pm

OK. Here's the gist of my story: A fifteen-year-old deformed Russian boy escapes the circus he's spent the last few years in and winds up in the care of an American doctor and his three adopted Mexican children that he's brought back from Mexico after the Mexican-American war. The boy, Alexi Ivanov tries to get his money back from the circus leader in his quest to go back to his home country. Meanwhile, he develops romantic feelings for the Mexican girl, Amelia, who's his age and sinister forces are at work to keep forever, and they'll do it through the youngest of the children.

So basically, we have a deformed boy, a circus leader, romancing a woman of ethnic origins and the boy wants to go back to his homecountry. Even if I made the circus leader be a victim in this plot, I just feel it's still a bit cliched. Heck, I may as well throw in an American to get popped off as a way of showing the Mexican children who saw their country invaded by the US four years ago that not all Americans are bad people to cap it off. Neutral (I'm an American, btw.)

Also, there's no direction I can think up of. Sinister people want to stop Alexi from romancing the girl and going back to Russia. Why? Gold? Jealousy? Also, the only reason I have them use the youngest Mexican child (Diego) is...I don't know. Sad In fact, how can I make it plausible that Diego would want to deliever Alexi to his enemies if in my head he really likes the kid?

I want the story to examine both Alexi's story and the story of the Mexican children, how they feel about having to live under the care of a man who was part of the army that invaded their country. I know this concept has so much potential but I feel that so far, it's shaping up to be yet another cliched romance novel.

HELP!!! D=
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. Empty Re: I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all.

Post by shadowsowner888 5/13/2010, 11:22 pm

First of all, I don't find it cliched. That could just be because I haven't read enough or whatever, but it really sounds like an original idea. :3

Second of all . . . ough. I see what you mean about their actions not making sense, because I have that problem a lot in my own stories. Sometimes the only thing you can do is rewrite it, either managing to find a really good reason or just totally changing the situation so there doesn't have to be a reason. My opinion is that, the harder it is to find a reason, the better off you'd be changing the situation itself a bit. You don't have to totally change it, just change it enough so it's not illogical. Ya know?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 1312I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 2412I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 3349I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 3548I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. Empty Re: I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all.

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/14/2010, 7:52 am

Agreed.

I really have no clue what the situation is, to be honest. Maybe I should just go to the basics and figure out what Alexi wants, what the children want and just go from there. As of now, it seems like the only reason is: "Alexi is ugly! Let's go ruin him!"
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/14/2010, 3:35 pm

Yeah, that'd be helpful too. nod The more you understand your characters the better. Doing character development questions can help; I know there was a thread around here somewhere with a whole ton. XD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 1312I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 2412I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 3349I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 3548I think my story is cliched and has no direction at all. 3327

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/15/2010, 5:22 pm

That sounds very intersting. Where can I find it?

Last edited by Meerkat Scribe on 5/15/2010, 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/15/2010, 5:26 pm

shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/15/2010, 5:31 pm

Thank you! Very Happy

I think the key here is not Alexi, but the Mexican children. Their lives were torn up in the Mexican-American war and they have no idea where their family is and this American is raising them as his own children and he thinks he\'s saved them and makes sure he lets the other guests know he saved them.

If someone came to them and said, \"We know where to find xyz and how to bring you back to him/her but first, you must do something for us...\" then it would be a good incentive.
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 5/15/2010, 7:12 pm

Hopefully I'm understanding everything when I reply to this, 'cause I just had this massively sugary snack thing.... Which sometimes makes me a bit too jumbled up. cheesy

Anyway, issue one--cliche. I'm kind of in the middle on this one. Yes, it's a bit cliche with the romance and escape issues, but if you intend to have romance, Alexi's not going to have much more to choose from other than Mexicans. You could eliminate the romance if you were desperate for less cliche. Lack of romance is rather rare these days.
As for the escaping, would the Mexicans just be nice and say, "Oh, sure, you can leave!" They're gonna be at least a little paranoid and want to make sure he doesn't go to America first, or an ally of their rival country. So I wouldn't change the escaping part.
Now, you could also ditch everything I said up there and try to do something similar to Sarah, Plain and Tall. If you don't know the story, well, I'll explain it only if asked 'cause it may be a while. xP

Issue two--direction. I could give a couple ideas for direction, if you want, but otherwise I can't say I have a lot to say about the first part. The second part with Diego, like Shadow said, would probably be best assisted with character development. nod I have an idea for this too, though. Ideas are in the spoiler if you're interested.

Spoiler:

Sorry, I don't think I helped much on this one. undecided
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/16/2010, 6:55 am

You're very close, Cyn. Very Happy It takes place in America four years after the war ended.

But now that you said it, it may just work. The war with Mexico was a hot topic before the Civil War broke out. People might be suspicious of this American doctor hanging out with three Mexican children and when Alexi enters, some other veterans may assume he's of Mexican ethnicity and perhaps even assume the doctor's spying for Mexico in an effort to start the war up again. (This would probably be the case if the doctor had been known to enjoy Mexican culture while he was serving in the war by way of singing their songs and stuff.) So they could try and use Alexi as a way of getting the doctor to confess his deeds.

I could also pull the circus in too. The leader just wants Alexi to be left alone and tells everyone as such, but a few paranoid people conclude that this guy and American Doctor are at work with some Mexican spy cells (and Alexi).

Now I just need to figure out why they would have Diego deliver Alexi to them...

Another thing I was thinkin that might be a cliche was the two guys that worked in the freak shows in the circus Alexi lived in. They are after Alexi because they want their gold. (that Alexi...kinda stole from when he took off. :p)

EDIT: I agree with the romance. Why can't the girl just think Alexi's a nice kid and leave it at that? She can feel sorry for him and understand him, but why does she have to immediatly be his love interest?
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 5/16/2010, 7:18 am

I don't think your story sounds cliche at all. I do have a suggestion though, if you want to incorporate more of everyone's past, why not do different chapters from different character's points of view? It'll add more background to the story, and give the audience a different perspective. Smile
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/16/2010, 9:25 am

Akeria wrote:I don't think your story sounds cliche at all. I do have a suggestion though, if you want to incorporate more of everyone's past, why not do different chapters from different character's points of view? It'll add more background to the story, and give the audience a different perspective. Smile

That's EXACTLY what I had in mind.

It'd make for an interesting ending, seeing the same thing through different perspective.
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 5/17/2010, 6:56 am

Very Happy Yay! I'm a mind reader.

Would you like me to close this, or do you want to keep it open in case you need more ideas?
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 5/17/2010, 12:33 pm

Well, you can leave it open in case I have any more questions. Smile
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down