The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another overused story cliché....

+2
shadowsowner888
SaddleClub
6 posters

Go down

Another overused story cliché.... Empty Another overused story cliché....

Post by SaddleClub 6/13/2010, 4:17 pm

Maturity: Some low-level romance; possibly just kissing and such
Fantasy: Probably none, unless you count the fact that this is a fictional story

A note from the author:
As the current title states, this story is basically yet another story with the "Cinderella" concept. I know this is a very overused theme in stories, but the idea came to me and I had to put it down on paper. (or on a Word document, but you get the point) I decided to continue writing it because my mind has already launched into "this is what will happen next" mode. Basically, the main plot will be a slightly twisted Cinderella story. I also feel some things that happen in my life will be mixed in this somehow.
This message to you was mostly a warning about the cliché. Cinderella stories have been made so often. A Cinderella Story (Hilary Duff), Ella Enchanted (Anne Hathaway), and Another Cinderella Story (Selena Gomez) are just three examples of how often this concept has been used. So if you don't feel like reading a story that once again uses this idea, I have no problem with it. Simply click back to the homepage or go read another story. However, if you still have intrest in reading after this warning, then please read on.
Thank you for visiting this thread no matter what you choose.
~SaddleClub

~Chapter 1~

I slammed the door shut as I got in the house, locking it behind me. I took off my sneakers, the same pair I’d owned for three years, and put them in the bucket in the closet. Then I went to the kitchen to start dinner and my homework.

I had a system set up by now. I rotated back and forth between homework and the meal, which I had been told was to be spaghetti. I got the majority of my math homework done while the water boiled; I could only get one problem done at a time after that, however. The sauce cooked, the spaghetti cooked, and still my homework wasn’t even half complete. I sighed as I turned the completed meal down to a simmer to keep it warm. I ran over to try to get more homework done before my mother came home.

My older sister, Helen, had been home for hours. But, of course, she didn’t help me. Why would she? I was the one assigned to do all the work. All the cooking, all the laundry, all the cleaning was my job and no one else’s. Why was this? I honestly had no idea. But my brother and sister were treated like royalty while I was stuck as the maid.

I heard my mother come home with my brother behind her. I pushed my bangs out of my brown eyes and looked at them for a moment, waiting for Mom to begin the daily interrogation.

“Is dinner done?” “Yes.” “Is Helen home?” “Yes.” “Did she help you?” “No.” “Is the table set?” “I’m about to start that.” The last answer was greeted with a disapproving look, yet she walked off with Jon to hang up their snow covered coats and hats.

I brought three glasses out to the dining room table: two filled with soda for Helen and Jon and one wine glass for Mom. I knew I’d have to eat in the kitchen as usual to finish my homework. My family didn’t want me around anyway.

When my family was all seated, I brought out the plates of food one by one. The first two – the ones for my sister and mother – only received a slight nod of approval – and that was just because I hadn’t burned anything. Jon was the only one who smiled at me.

“We’ll call you if we need anything, Elizabeth,” Mom said. Then she carried on her conversation with my siblings. They laughed as they talked about their day. To an outsider, this would look like a typical family eating a typical meal at a typical dinner table. They wouldn’t know about me. Nobody outside my family knew what I went through. I walked back toward the kitchen.

I took a small portion of the meal for myself. I could’ve taken more, but if I took too much, I’d get scolded. I sat down to finally complete my homework, making sure not to spill any food on the pages. I finally finished about a half hour later with, surprisingly, no interruptions from my mother. I put a way my school books, then I went to gather dirty dishes.

Dishwashers were a great invention. I was grateful we had one or else I’m almost positive I’d be washing the dishes by hand until they were bright enough to blind someone. I placed the dishes neatly in the racks, poured in soap, then closed and started the dishwasher. I loaded the leftovers into plastic containers and put them in the fridge. Dinner was completely finished.

All I wanted to do then was take a warm shower and go to bed. Unfortunately, I had other chores to complete first. Helen’s laundry needed to be washed. The living room floor had to be vacuumed. Picture frames needed to be dusted. I knew it would take at least another hour to finish all that.

I was finally able to go to my room at 11:30pm after a cold shower. (All the warm water had been used by Jon and Helen.) My room was very small. I don’t even think it was a bedroom. I had a small mattress on the floor in the corner. I didn’t have a bed frame or anything. I just had the mattress. There was no closet or dresser, but I had empty cardboard boxes in a second corner to put my clothes in. A small table occupied another corner, and the fourth corner was empty because anything there would block the door. The only light came from a bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling. There was one outlet in the room; I used it to charge my cell phone. Without my phone, I felt like I had no connection to anything else.

Before changing into my pajamas, I combed out my damp hair. Once I was changed, I crawled under the blanket and fell asleep.

You may find my life sad. You may find my life lonely. This was my normal life, though. This was the life of Elizabeth Ella Fallermae.

SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 15853

Back to top Go down

Another overused story cliché.... Empty Re: Another overused story cliché....

Post by shadowsowner888 6/13/2010, 8:41 pm

I like it, Saddle. c: Cinderella stories really appeal to me; sure, they may be cliche, but they're cool, and they bring us all hope! applause Will you be posting more soon?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Another overused story cliché.... 1312Another overused story cliché.... 2412Another overused story cliché.... 3349Another overused story cliché.... 3548Another overused story cliché.... 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 6/13/2010, 10:00 pm

Thanks, Shadow. I put the warning cuz I thought most people would start reading then think, "Ugh, Cinderella story." and click out. But I did say it's slightly twisted Cinderella story. You'll see what I mean as the story goes on.

I'll write more soon, probably tomorrow. nod
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/14/2010, 5:37 pm

That just makes it sound even more interesting. :3 I can't wait until you get more written!
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Another overused story cliché.... 1312Another overused story cliché.... 2412Another overused story cliché.... 3349Another overused story cliché.... 3548Another overused story cliché.... 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/14/2010, 10:09 pm

Saddle, I'm tired and I don't feel like doing anything besides nomming on some watermelon, so I'll read your story tomorrow....Just came here to say you're awesome.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Another overused story cliché.... Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 6/17/2010, 4:14 pm

@Shadow: I'll try writing soon. nod

@Newms: Awww, thanks Smile
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/17/2010, 4:50 pm

Ok, I read it and you made me cry. Why is her life so sad? (Well, I didn't cry, but I did make a little "Aw...." noise a few times.)
But add more, because Cinderella stories always have happy endings xD
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Another overused story cliché.... Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by Puckspaw 6/17/2010, 5:10 pm

Good job, Saddle! I happen to love Cinderella stories. nod
Puckspaw
Puckspaw
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Female Posts : 616

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 6/17/2010, 8:33 pm

Ooh, I like it so far. cheesy
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 6/17/2010, 9:51 pm

Thanks everyone Smile

@Newms: Her life has to be sad; it's a Cinderella type story
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 6/18/2010, 9:40 am

I like it! I've never had much patience for cinderella, but this is actually good.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 410

http://www.lilacxxlauren.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SaddleClub 6/20/2010, 11:22 pm

Thanks Smile

I'll write more tomorrow. nod Probably out of procrastination for writing my speech, but it's still writing xD
SaddleClub
SaddleClub
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down