The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whistling, a random freewrite

Go down

Whistling, a random freewrite Empty Whistling, a random freewrite

Post by MusicWritingLove 6/17/2010, 2:32 pm

I was bored, so I wrote this! Razz
Whistling
He whistled tunelessly as he wandered down the street, away from me.
I couldn't understand what I had done wrong. We had been chatting (shouldn't a boyfriend and girlfriend do that? Maybe not, I don't know) as we had been walking and Dylan had turned to face me fully, turning his feet and everything towards me.
My heart had been beating helplessly. I had wondered whether he could feel it pouding and would lean towards me, and then our lips would brush and then we'd lean back and smile breathlessly at each other and wonder if really we were lucky enough to have each other.
Nope. It didn't happen. In my head I was wondering if I was good enough to be with him.
I'm Jade, the "queen bee" as rightly defined in Mean Girls. I am the head of the pack and whatever I do, everyone else does. Kapeesh? I wouldn't like to think I'm horrible though. I care about everyone - apart from the nobodies - and that's what makes me popular. Being horrible doesn't get anyone anywhere.
He faced me and brushed a little of his perfect brown hair out of his perfect blue eyes and then looked at me with those perfect blue eyes. I was just wondering how much more beautiful everything looked when he was around when he began to talk.
"Jade..." He started, glancing around and trying to avoid my eyes.
"Um, yes?" I asked, wondering why he looked as if he was going to look at me and then suddenly looking away. "What's the problem?"
He grimaced. "Um, nothing's the problem...I just, um, well..."
"Yeah?" I prompted.
He sighed and finally looked into my eyes. "Well, I don't want to be with you any more. I'm sorry, it's over."
I blinked. "What?" I almost sounded exasperated.
"I'm sorry, I'm dumping you. I...just don't like you any more."
I stared at him as he looked both ways and then crossed the road, hands stuck in his pockets and whistling coming out of his mouth.
I couldn't believe how stupid I had been.
Later that day I called up Melissa, my best friend and second in command.
"Whazzup?" she popped the P as she began speaking to me.
"Dylan..." I sniffed and managed to restrain a sob, "dumped me."
I could hear the cogs turning at Melissa's end, then a shocked "WHAT?"
"You heard me," I grumbled, "he did the deal and dumped me. I should have never had gone out with him!"
"Well, it happened to me when I was with him!"
I thought for a second. "I wonder who he wants to go out with now?"
And then started the discussion over who he would go out with now.
Hey. I'm Chelsea. I'm little-miss-nobody.
I've got about four friends, and that's where the list ends. Compared to little-miss-popular Jade, I'm like an ant under her giant, all controlling foot. Yes, that's how low I am.
But yesterday I was amazed.
Dylan, the most popular boy in the year - maybe in the whole school! - contacted me by Facebook! I was amazed. He seemed really cool and my Facebook finally got some use. I only went on there for the games.
We met up later that day at the local coffee shop, eloquently called Express-Oh!. After ordering our drinks (I ordered black tea, he ordered black coffee) he went on to say how he noticed how pretty I was and how we wanted to get to know me better, and then in the future, date me!
I asked him about his relationship with Jade.
"What relationship?" he asked.
"B-but I thought you two were going out?" were my hopes about to be crushed?
He shrugged. "I dumped her earlier."
Realising the danger in the situation, I stayed silent.
"I didn't really like her," he explained. "She's very pretty and popular but I just wanted the social status, y'know? Don't you want to be popular?"
"Um, not r-"
He didn't leave me time to speak as he went on. "I was also pressured by my friends...they wanted to me to go out because she acts all nice and everything all the time, y'know?" He was 'y'knowing' a lot. "I liked her for a while but she turned all horrible."
Yeah, yeah, I thought, rolling my eyes inwardly. He was lying.
After he had finished his mini speech, he expectantly turned to me. "So, what do you think?"
I paused. "That's a firm no, but thank you very much."
He stared at me. "Why are you saying no?"
"Why are you even asking me?" I didn't bother to bite back the snide remark.
"Because I like you," he instantly replied.
This time I didn't bother rolling my eyes. I stood up, grabbed my bag and shoved my chair back into the table. "No." I said, and then I walked out.
What a woman eater! I thought as I walked home and saw the popular girls - Jade and Melissa - walking my way. I edged closer to the wall a little to let them pass when Jade stopped Melissa from walking and began talking to me.
"Hey," she said. "What's your name?"
"Um," I began nervously, "Chelsea."
She nodded. "Do you go to the local high school?"
I nodded and she smiled. "You know who I am, then?" It was more of a rhetorical question but I decided to answer anyway.
"Um, yes. You're Jade, the most popular girl in school."
Jade nodded and smiled, pleased.
"What were you doing out?" Melissa had a worry line in the middle of her forehead.
I blushed and looked down. "I was speaking to Dylan, Jade's ex."
They gasped in unison. "Why?" Melissa asked, starting to get territorial.
I sighed. "He invited me for coffee and I agreed. We went to Express-Oh! and he asked me out, but I said no."
Jade looked shocked. "Why?"
I stared exasperatedly at her. "He's a woman eater, that's why."

Word count: 1,003
This has never happened to me... ^^
MusicWritingLove
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Female Posts : 982

Back to top Go down