The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet for Peace?

+3
Malicious Nightmares
MusicWritingLove
Cyn431
7 posters

Go down

Internet for Peace? Empty Internet for Peace?

Post by Cyn431 7/12/2010, 3:38 pm

Based off of what I've been seeing on YouTube, it appears people are working to give the Internet the Nobel Peace Prize. Here's what they have to say:
internetforpeace wrote:We have finally realized that the Internet is much more than a network of computers.
It is an endless web of people. Men and women from every corner of the globe are
connecting to one another, thanks to the biggest social interface ever known to humanity.
Digital culture has laid the foundations for a new kind of society.
And this society is advancing dialogue, debate and consensus through communication.
Because democracy has always flourished where there is openness, acceptance,
discussion and participation. And contact with others has always been the most
effective antidote against hatred and conflict.
That's why the Internet is a tool for peace.
That's why anyone who uses it can sow the seeds of non-violence.
And that's why the next Nobel Peace Prize should go to the Net.
A Nobel for each and every one of us.
While these Italians (the creators of the channel with the idea) have a valid point, there are several others that have commented on the channel thinking otherwise. Here's my personal favorite out of the ten I could see.
hiomation wrote:unfortunately the internet is also filled with a ton of hate. for every good website about peace, there is one about discrimination and hate. people in blogs, comments, videos, etc. do nothing but cuss each other out and flame. sure there is some good, but there is just too much hate that comes with it. on the one hand you have people connecting with people from other countries and nationalities. on the other, you have a 13 year old kid using the "N Word" profusely.

In all honesty, the internet, and the people as a whole who use it, do not deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.
I'll give my own statement on the matter when I have the time, but for now I'll just say I agree more with hiomation than internetforpeace.

So what do you guys think?
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Internet for Peace? Empty Re: Internet for Peace?

Post by MusicWritingLove 7/12/2010, 3:47 pm

I think it's half of one, half of the other. :3
Both points are valid, and I suppose at the end of the day, the internet can be used for both. So yeah.
MusicWritingLove
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Female Posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 7/12/2010, 3:50 pm

Agreed with the person who made that comment, on hate.
I'm not a joyous type.
I've let out enough hate, on enough users.
I am one to be blamed.

Mia, out.
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 19506

http://www.shadowfire.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/12/2010, 4:05 pm

It really just depends on the people using it. At this point, I wouldn't say to give the internet any peace prizes, because while some of the people here are great . . . there's an equal amount of horrible people. And as it's easier to be anonymous here, I'd say it can be even worse than in real life.

So some sites out there in themselves might be peaceful enough, but since they're not the only ones out there, I really don't think the Internet is at the place where it can get any prizes.

(Especially if Garrison Nelson is still out there. Razz)
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Internet for Peace? 1312Internet for Peace? 2412Internet for Peace? 3349Internet for Peace? 3548Internet for Peace? 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/12/2010, 4:24 pm

Garrison Nelson isn't that bad. He was just trolling. XD

Okay, but anyway, whether the internet is peaceful or not, it can't get a prize. The Nobel Peace Prize belongs to a person, not an inanimate object. I don't know what else to say on the subject... I guess I just don't feel that an award as important as this should be given to an electronic system. And if they meant "a Nobel for each and every one of us" in a literal sense, then I don't agree with that either. You can't dedicate a prize to such a huge group of people. It's like giving awards to everyone who has the money to afford the internet. It's a good enough idea... But just no.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/12/2010, 4:29 pm

I love the internet. I really, truly, do.

It's made hundreds of thousands of lives better, and more fun, and richer.

And at the same time, it has driven teenagers to commit suicide, it has degraded people endlessly and recklessly, and it's became a host to lies and scandals and sadness.

Komo:
You can't dedicate a prize to such a huge group of people.
I agree with that, though only partially. Some organizations (for example, the UN) deserve it, because everyone there works hard for peace and justice.

But the internet is half bad and half good, and you wouldn't give a good citizenship award to someone who'd murdered 100 people and then saved the lives of another hundred, would you?

So... while the internet can be a great place, it can also be horrible. Therefore it does not deserve the prize.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Internet for Peace? 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/12/2010, 4:34 pm

To put it childishly: No! *crosses arms* He hurt my feelings. Razz

Unchildishly, well, I'm sure there's worse people. XD But he was the worst Twig's had, at least in my opinion. My point was that he certainly wasn't contributing anything to peacefulness.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Internet for Peace? 1312Internet for Peace? 2412Internet for Peace? 3349Internet for Peace? 3548Internet for Peace? 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/12/2010, 5:41 pm

Arianna wrote:
Komo:
You can't dedicate a prize to such a huge group of people.
I agree with that, though only partially. Some organizations (for example, the UN) deserve it, because everyone there works hard for peace and justice.
Yeah, but the UN is a smaller group than all the people who use the internet. If you would have quoted the rest of what I said, which stated that "it's like giving awards to everyone who has the money to afford the internet," then it would be clear I was referring only to people who use the internet, not large organizations in general.

shadowsowner888 wrote:To put it childishly: No! *crosses arms* He hurt my feelings. Razz

Unchildishly, well, I'm sure there's worse people. XD But he was the worst Twig's had, at least in my opinion. My point was that he certainly wasn't contributing anything to peacefulness.
Haha, yeah, I agree. He was interesting though, at least. X3
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/13/2010, 2:09 am

Yeah, I meant to add that it was also a smaller (waaay smaller) group of people. xD Oops.

Ooh, Garrison NELSON? He was funny. Very Happy
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Internet for Peace? 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/13/2010, 12:34 pm

XDD They're probably still like one of the biggest organizations though, right?

I agree, Ari. XD He was entertaining.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/14/2010, 11:28 am

I think a bunch of people made my point already. Dx That it really depends on who is using the internet, whether its peaceful or not.

But if you think about it overall, without taking into consideration whats being posted or said, the internet is bringing together people who don't even know each other. It's allowing international communication. It doesn't matter if it's two people talking on a chat forum about what kind of dogs they have, or whether its two people bashing someone's YouTube video. As terrible as that may sound, they're still being connected over a common interest via the Internet.

And I know there's a bunch of flaws in that paragraph, but I think that's the main point the person in Cyn's first quote was trying to make. That people are still being drawn closer via the internet.

But, despite that lovely chunk of wisdom I just offered you, I don't want to give the Nobel Peace Prize to the Internet. xD I think it belongs to a hard-working, well-meaning person. Not a bunch of magical computers.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Internet for Peace? Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down