The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love vs. Violence

+24
Dragon Lover
DragonStar
GraceMarie8
Ella
Rai
MarielofRedwall
IDmangapasta
lauren
Sundara
rattyjol
conich
The Newms
amrgirl
B
iGrievous
Cyn431
MusicWritingLove
shadowsowner888
MCRRockz123
Arianna
Malicious Nightmares
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Avé
Komoda
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All in favour of:

Love vs. Violence Left1050%Love vs. Violence Right10 50% 
[ 15 ]
Love vs. Violence Left1050%Love vs. Violence Right10 50% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 30

Love vs. Violence Empty Love vs. Violence

Post by Komoda 7/20/2010, 1:50 am

I was just curious about something.

What aspect of maturity can you cope with better; romance or violence?

In other words, do you find it easier to write love scenes or torture scenes? And if you're not a writer, which of the two do you find more comforting to read or watch?

No need to go into the details of your writing ventures if you don't want to, dearies. X3 I'd just like to know what writing is easier for you.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Love vs. Violence Empty Re: Love vs. Violence

Post by Avé 7/20/2010, 2:34 am

Definitely romance.

I find it easier to write, and it's definitely more amusing to read. Not that I can't handle violence, but I'll be the first to tell you that I suck at describing it in roleplays, and I wouldn't prefer to read about it if I had the option of a MelloxMatt make out session instead.

I mean, I'm comfortable with a fairly high level of maturity. Hey, I'll admit I've gone far when it comes to romance, although we always '---' or something before it just gets awkward. So I suppose it's implied, for the most part. Nothing extremely descriptive. I don't mind reading anything that doesn't only imply, though. Heh.

Though I feel the need to add that I find romantic violence particularly attractive. Just saying. :3
Avé
Avé
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 5955

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiriana Shadeweaver 7/20/2010, 10:09 am

I'm not really one for writing either, but let's just put it this way:
Romance makes me gag, unless it's absolutely adorable (*prods Mari and Jowee*) or done really, really well. Romantic subtext I have no problem with, though. I just don't like writing it.
Also it reminds me I'm a failure at every aspect of social life. Romance included.

Though when it comes to violence, it can only go so far before I fare no better. I'd prefer a quick clean kill than one that's drawn out and bloody.
But I'd sooner write a war than a love scene.
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Kiriana Shadeweaver
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 472

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 7/20/2010, 10:35 am

I set a vote for violence.
Whenever RPing, I find it so much harder to type up a love scene.
But then again, the same goes for violence.
Because, if I'm killing off a close-charrie of mine [example; Lazuri] then a violence scene is almost impossible for me to write.
Sometimes, a love scene can be easy.
But it all depends.
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 19506

http://www.shadowfire.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 7/20/2010, 11:04 am

I want to vote for both. ._.

You see, as a writer I fail at romance. Half of what I write is love scenes (because all I've been doing these days is freewrites) and it involves either (a) the girl throwing herself at the boy and making out with him or (b) the boy telling the girl he loves her and the girl nodding. I am incapable of writing anything else.

I don't exactly enjoy writing violent scenes... well, at least not as much as Mia does. But they're easier to write, which makes up for the other half of my freewrites, in which people are either murdered or injured or whatever.

And then there's the 1 percent of freewrites in which people either spend the whole time arguing or being all angsty about something, but that's not the point.

But then for reading... well, I like reading romance a whole lot more. It's so much more fun to read about than people chopping others' heads off, throwing others down elevator shafts, or putting them to sleep and then harvesting all their organs. But all plots need violence, because otherwise they'd be boring. Of course, plots without any romance are boring, too.

So for actually reading things, I'd say both are equal, because you need both (and suspense, and good characters, and friendships, and adventures) to have a suitable plot. At least, that's what I think.
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Love vs. Violence 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MCRRockz123 7/20/2010, 11:08 am

Both. I can't pick and as a story writer well not exactly that but a giant RP dork I have to say both. It all depends for me what charecter I am using.
MCRRockz123
MCRRockz123
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Female Posts : 4872

http://mylifeismusic.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/20/2010, 11:21 am

Thanks for voting, everyone! ^u^ It's interesting to see all your opinions.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/20/2010, 2:47 pm

Hahahaha, what a beautiful question!

I'm rather torn, you see. On the one hand, I've always been comfortable with violence, and I never really saw it as something that one should avoid. If my mom told me a movie was too violent for me to watch, I'd be all, "What the heck? What's wrong with violence?" And while other people are cringing at the gore, I'm just beaming, or swooning, or sometimes even laughing hysterically.

But on the other hand . . . once you actually get into romance . . . it's addictive. Soooo addictive nomnomnom . . . and isn't it the more natural choice, anyway? We're supposed to be romantic! It's how we live!

But violence is how some of us die . . . and you can't live without death . . .

I voted for violence in the end, since I haven't experienced enough romance yet, even though I'm definitely comfortable with both.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Love vs. Violence 1312Love vs. Violence 2412Love vs. Violence 3349Love vs. Violence 3548Love vs. Violence 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicWritingLove 7/20/2010, 2:51 pm

Romance. I have a really weak stomach and I feel real ill when I even read gore. DX<
MusicWritingLove
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Female Posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 7/20/2010, 2:54 pm

MusicWritingLove wrote:Romance. I have a really weak stomach and I feel real ill when I even read gore. DX<

I have a weak stomach when I read exaggerated romance. [OH YES BISHIBOSH [Yeah. I decided to change your name to the Monster's name. Like, actualy name. XD You're no longer Bishibone, but... Bishibosh. 8D], I'M TALKING TO YOU. D:<]
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/20/2010, 3:25 pm

Well, this is an interesting poll. I apologize for the annoyance of the upcoming rambling.

I love myself some romance, I've got to admit. I bet I'd love writing about it, mainly in roleplays, but somehow death or something else on the dark side always gets in the way before I get the chance, even if I already write about love. (Not romance, but love, if you know what I mean with the difference.) Though when I look at other RPs, I notice the whole love/romance concept starts to get boring. It gets predictable and set up. Like when a girl is put in a dormitory with a boy. Though if you add any more factors of interest into the game, turning things into a love triangle or square or hexagon or dodecahedron (yes, love can get third dimensional), then we get exciting again. ^^

I write myself my fair share of violence whenever I get the chance, or at least in my mind. I don't think violence can get overly set up, and even then it's a heck of a lot of fun to write about. You don't need more than one person to make it interesting if its set up, but hey, the more the merrier, right? As long as it doesn't involve eating eyeballs or anything else centered on said organ, I find it enjoyable.

All that up there pretty much applies to both reading, writing and watching. So bring on the violence!
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by iGrievous 7/20/2010, 3:39 pm

I never really tried to write a big romance scene before, but I know I'd definitely cope better at that than big violent torture scenes. 'Sides, it gives me those little warm fuzzy feelings when I write about romance. xD

I wonder what writing violence would give me? xD
iGrievous
iGrievous
Well-Known Author
Well-Known Author

Male Posts : 4596

Back to top Go down

Post by B 7/20/2010, 3:40 pm

Both. More violence now. People say it's not the answer but it is!
B
B
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 6404

http://nerds54.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicWritingLove 7/20/2010, 3:47 pm

Malicious Nightmares wrote:
MusicWritingLove wrote:Romance. I have a really weak stomach and I feel real ill when I even read gore. DX<

I have a weak stomach when I read exaggerated romance. [OH YES BISHIBOSH [Yeah. I decided to change your name to the Monster's name. Like, actualy name. XD You're no longer Bishibone, but... Bishibosh. 8D], I'M TALKING TO YOU. D:<]

I got a nickname! WOOT! XD
MusicWritingLove
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Female Posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/20/2010, 4:35 pm

You guys brought up really great points! Hehe, I would reply to them all individually, but I think I'm just going to blog about the subject instead. But thank you all so much more voting! <3

MusicWritingLove wrote:

Actually, sorry, she was talking to me. XD I may have done something to scar her for life... Yeah...
*guilt*

Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 7/20/2010, 4:36 pm

MusicWritingLove wrote:

Yeah, that little part was for Mo/Bishibosh.
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by amrgirl 7/20/2010, 4:52 pm

Violence. I can read both violence and romance, but I can only write romance very slowly, and it takes a while for me to get what I want to happen into words. I can acutally write some violence pretty well. I have a character fight/death scene that I wrote pretty well... And for watching, I can watch both, but I perfer violence over romance in that aspect.
amrgirl
amrgirl
Published Author
Published Author

Female Posts : 3651

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicious Nightmares 7/20/2010, 4:53 pm

amrgirl wrote:Violence. I can read both violence and romance, but I can only write romance very slowly, and it takes a while for me to get what I want to happen into words. I can acutally write some violence pretty well. I have a character fight/death scene that I wrote pretty well... And for watching, I can watch both, but I perfer violence over romance in that aspect.

Ehh, same here.
Malicious Nightmares
Malicious Nightmares
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 7/20/2010, 9:18 pm

Wow, reading this poll made me realize...I have no idea what is easier for me to write!

I'm not such a big fan of romance, personally. I usually like it as a side-dish (yes, here we go again. I'm brining food into the conversation) but I can't take a purely romance novel or romance movie. I like to throw it in my stories as a side plot, usually when the main conflict is getting resolved, that way, my characters still have a lot of stress. xD YAAAAAAY.

Violence, on the other hand, doesn't limit you as much. It can range from a simple scuffle, to a fist-fight to a full-out nuclear war! >=D I find it easier to get descriptive, although, sometimes reading my own violent work makes me feel a little sick. xP So, I guess I stick to romance mostly, it's a little easier to stomach. My violence tends to me a little more subtle anyway, like perhaps a well-planned and secretive murder, rather than a man getting gunned down in the streets. I do like writing that kinda of story...gahhh.

Jeez, that was completely pointless. xP I'm just not gonna vote, I'm way too neutral.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Love vs. Violence Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by conich 7/20/2010, 9:58 pm

Hmm, this is tough.

I'm a sucker for romance and I have yet to write a story that doesn't include some type of romance in it. I can write and write about romance. I always get all funny feeling when I write or read about it. For some reason it comes very easy to me, even though my life has had little to no romance in it.

The flip side is that violence has always had a certain appeal to me. I love fighting, which alot of people find weird. Not fighting out of anger necessarily, but boxing, sparring, fencing, it doesn't really matter to me. I love reading and writing about violence, it makes me feel better about my less than perfect life. I like using my anger in a way of inspiration for my stories.

In the end I voted for romance. It seemed like the way to go.
conich
conich
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Female Posts : 749

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/20/2010, 10:18 pm

Ze Newmzeh wrote:I'm not such a big fan of romance, personally. I usually like it as a side-dish (yes, here we go again. I'm brining food into the conversation) but I can't take a purely romance novel or romance movie. I like to throw it in my stories as a side plot, usually when the main conflict is getting resolved, that way, my characters still have a lot of stress. xD YAAAAAAY.

Violence, on the other hand, doesn't limit you as much. It can range from a simple scuffle, to a fist-fight to a full-out nuclear war! >=D
That was like what I was trying to say, or at least I was thinking, except in an understandable language. :O applause
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 7/21/2010, 12:49 am

Violence, for sure. I mean, I love romance, but I have absolutely NO personal experience with it at all (I've never even had a real crush), and I loooove being sadistic to my characters. xD Even when I was a little kid I would make up these little stories in my head and the characters would, like, explode and stuff, it was hilarious. xD

As for reading... I like both. nod
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Post by Sundara 7/21/2010, 1:41 pm

Violence. I don't like mushy-gushy love stuff . . . movies and TV maybe, but def. not books. >.>

So yeah . . . *grabs sword* Heheheh . . . OMGLOL
Sundara
Sundara
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1302

Back to top Go down

Post by lauren 7/21/2010, 1:45 pm

I loooove writing love scenes<33 I love the whole detail of it.
lauren
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 410

http://www.lilacxxlauren.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IDmangapasta 7/21/2010, 10:11 pm

When I first saw this poll I was sure my answer would be love because I tend to naturally bend towards love rather than hurting people, but then I actually read the question and I have to say violence, all the way.
When I'm watching movies, I can handle violence, but not romantic maturity. It just weirds me out. I cringe and kinda turn away.
when I'm writing, of course I don't usually make the romance go THAT far, but it's easier for me to write the fight scenes.
IDmangapasta
IDmangapasta
Published Author
Published Author

Howdy-do, I'm an otaku!
Female Posts : 3400

http://lizclairel.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down