The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~

+3
Lyssa45
Nightowl
rattyjol
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~ Empty Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~

Post by rattyjol 9/27/2009, 8:58 pm

Maturity: I'm not sure yet. So far there isn't anything much, but... who knows?
Fantasy: Magic, alternate dimensions, etc.

So... my friend's mom used to make these scavenger hunts for us, and they were always "made" by a sorcerer named Sageleaf. A couple months ago my friend and I decided to write a story about Sageleaf. We alternate chapters, mostly. We don't see each other all that often (every other week at the most) so the chapters (which, by the way, are extremely short) will be slow. I'll post just one or two at a time to make it last longer. Smile

~~~

Prologue
“Awaken!” The voice boomed, breaking the thousand-year-old silence. The sound rang out in the dark, echoing off the walls of the walls of the ancient lava chamber. Outside of the volcano, the Speaker waited and watched for the Moment.
Suddenly, a violent red light spewed from the top of the Mountain and an unearthly screech split the heavy air. Then the ground started shaking, and the Speaker was thrown to the ground. The earth split open; deep voids lined the cracked dirt. Cracks appeared in the volcano. Finally, when it seemed the earth itself would fall apart, the volcanic queen exploded, and the dim light was all but obscured by giant, leathery, black wings.
It passed over the Speaker, joining its dark brethren outside. Together they moved across the land, silent and dark as shadows.
They slowly made their way towards the multicolored glow coming from the very center of the world. They entered the huge cavern, effortlessly knocking down the humanoid creatures that surrounded the source of the light: A bright, swirling Orb of pure energy. The thirteen shadowy creatures circled it, moving faster and faster, heedless to the Guardian that tried desperately to push them away. Slowly, gradually, the Orb darkened.
Finally, it turned the deepest shade of black, no longer spherical, but a distorted mass of twisted power. The shadowed creatures disappeared as a rumbling began beneath them and above them and around them.
“No!” the Guardian screamed, but the sound was lost in the explosion that followed.

Chapter 1
Lena Fisher set down her pencil. She glanced over at her twin, Sophie, who was sitting next to her, behind the front desk of the bookshop the two of them were working at over the summer. Sophie ignored her and kept reading. Lena was just reaching for her pencil again when the bells tied to the door jingled, signaling a customer.
It was a dark-skinned woman, and though she couldn’t have been over twenty-five, her long hair was pure silver. Her eyes were a startling shade of violet, and in the light of the morning sun streaming through the windows she looked otherworldly.
Lena quickly nudged her sister, who shut her book and stood up.
“Uh, may I help you?” she said, her blue eyes widening.
“Yes,” the woman said, taking in the girls’ identical appearances at a glance. “Could you get Elyca for me? Tell her that an old… ah… friend has come to visit.”
“Yes, ma’am,” Sophie said quickly, turning towards the back of the store.
Lena waited, feeling uncomfortable left alone with the strange woman. After a few minutes Elyca stepped out of the back room with Sophie trailing behind. The shop owner’s eyebrows rose as she caught sight of the woman.
“Lena, Sophie, go help the other customers,” she said, gesturing vaguely towards the rest of the store.
The twins exchanged a confused glance. The store was empty. But Lena caught the glare Elyca shot them when they didn’t instantly comply and dragged Sophie off behind a shelf.

Chapter 2
Sophie opened her mouth to complain, but Lena clapped a hand over it. Sophie let out an indignant grunt, which was the best she could manage around her sister’s hand.
“Shh!” Lena hissed. “Listen!” She jerked her head towards the two women talking quietly at the front of the shop.
“-Needs Ignites to help wake the Shyll before Octavian finds all the Lucers,” the woman was saying.
“And you expect me to desert my shop and my life just so I can help him?” Elyca hissed. “What has Sageleaf ever done for me? He explained, told me that I was never to use my magic unless necessary. But he never came back. Why should I help him now?”
The woman was calm as she said, “Because if you don’t, the Lucers will destroy all civilization.”
There was a moment of silence. “Fine,” Elyca snapped finally. “I’ll go.”
The woman smiled calmly, as if she’d expected it all along, and led the way to the back of the shop, right past the shelf where the two girls were hiding. They quickly ducked out of sight.
“I wonder what that was about,” Sophie wondered, mystified.
“Me too,” Lena said, staring after them. “Let’s follow them.”
“Why?”
“Well, they said they were going somewhere, but they went towards the back.”
“Right…” Lena’s usual logic had prevailed again.
“Plus, the woman said the… somebodies… were going to destroy the world-“
“Civilization,” Sophie corrected.
“Whatever. She said the somebodies were going to destroy civilization, and they had to stop them. Maybe we can help!”

Last edited by rattyjol on 10/3/2009, 11:42 am; edited 3 times in total
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!
Female Posts : 15981

Back to top Go down

Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~ Empty Re: Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~

Post by Nightowl 9/27/2009, 9:01 pm

*gathers an angry mob* More, or I'll let these guys loose on ya...! xD

That's really intriguing. I like it. nod
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Female Posts : 1041

Back to top Go down

Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~ Empty Re: Land of Birds (temporary title) *unfinished* ~Chapter 2 added~

Post by rattyjol 9/27/2009, 9:03 pm

*cowers*

Thanks. Two more comments and I'll post the first chapter. nod
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 9/27/2009, 9:09 pm

You didn't think I was serious, did you? Hehe. rolleyes

Read it people, read it!
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 9/27/2009, 9:14 pm

No, I didn't. XD
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyssa45 9/27/2009, 11:17 pm

Haha, I like it! Smile Smile
Lyssa45
Lyssa45
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Female Posts : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 9/27/2009, 11:25 pm

Thanks. Smile One more.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 9/29/2009, 11:16 pm

Eh, I'll just add more now, cuz I'm bored. XD
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/1/2009, 10:01 pm

I forgot to post after I read this yesterday. Anyways, the first chapter is really good! Add more soon.
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsey 10/1/2009, 10:04 pm

That cliffhanger there is leaving me...well...hangin'.

Aewsome so far!
Horsey
Horsey
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Obsessed with Naruto.
Gotta problem with that?
Didn't think so x]
Female Posts : 620

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/1/2009, 10:10 pm

Thanks, Night. Smile Haha, nice, Apple. XD Thanks! One more post and I'll put up the next chapter. nod
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/1/2009, 10:18 pm

Does this one count? xD Probably doesn't, but it was TOTALLY worth a try.
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/1/2009, 10:43 pm

Nope, sorry. XD One more post from a different person.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/1/2009, 10:55 pm

Razz Thought so. XD
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/1/2009, 10:56 pm

I do that all the time too. XD I wish it worked...
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/1/2009, 10:58 pm

I knooow. You could make it work... nod [Here at least, that is. XD]
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/1/2009, 11:10 pm

Hmm... Nah, too lazy to go get the flash drive. evil
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/1/2009, 11:34 pm

Eviiil. Razz
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/1/2009, 11:43 pm

Lazyyy. grin
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/2/2009, 12:15 am

Bothhhh. rolleyes
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/2/2009, 12:18 am

Mayyyyybe. Very Happy

Tell you what, if nobody else has posted by the time I get home from fencing tomorrow (6:45-7:00 PM PT) I'll put up another chapter. 'Kay? Very Happy
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/2/2009, 2:52 pm

Sweet. Very Happy I shall be waiting.
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/2/2009, 10:34 pm

I'm really sorry, but I can't acess the site on anything but my iTouch. Sad
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by rattyjol 10/3/2009, 11:42 am

Yay, back on. cheesy I added the next chapter.
rattyjol
rattyjol
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

My TwigAdopts!
My DragCave Scroll!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightowl 10/3/2009, 1:12 pm

Woot! It's awesome! Very Happy
Nightowl
Nightowl
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next