The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::...

4 posters

Go down

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... Empty ***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::...

Post by Erinbeth 3/26/2010, 11:44 am

Ok, So I wrote this story a while ago, and I just finished the thrid part today.
Inspired by: Suzanne Collins, Rick Riordan, James Patterson:::...

Mautrity: Depressing, Hugging, fighting. Obnoxious Becky.

Critique's are very welcomed!

Brooklyn is a teenage girl (15) She lives in Odessa, Texas with her mom (Diana) and dad (Peter)
And her obnoxious older sister (Rebecca, Becky).

Becky gets a job at the New York Times, with the support of both her parents they have to move. Brooklyn has one more day to say goodbye to her friends Ivory, Aaron and Kameron. She has to embark on a scary new experience. And say goodbye to Grandma and cousin Lain.
Beware chapters are very long!

....::::Character Biography's are coming soon::::....

Chapter One-The Decision

It was a Saturday, yeah the perfect day to hear Becky had done something right in her life. She always screwed things up, ever since she was born, Ha your probably thinking, she’s my little sister. Well you’re wrong. She’s my older sister; she looks harmless, and you’re also wrong there. I was tired and freaked out when I heard her scream, I thought I’d let it go, until I heard her bouncing up and down.
“Ahhhhhh” Becky Screamed as she bounced up and down, in the kitchen.
Mom ran down, scared to death, “What’s wrong!?” she said, rushing over to her.
Becky showed her the letter, then mom start screaming to, in excitement unfortunately.
I sighed, and dragged myself off the couch.
“What is it?” I asked, snatching the paper away from her.
I read, as my heart stopped beating.
“You got a job at the New York Times!?” I cried, not believing it at all.
That was my Dream job, to become a reporter, to work….there.
But no, she had to ruin it by snatching the paper away from me and gloating.
“Why? Are you jealous.” She Smirked.
“Why would I, be jealous of you?” I said, sheepishly.
“Whatever,” she said, then went backing to screaming, in my ear.
I walked to my room, and then flopped on the bed.
“How did she get that job?!” I thought, I lay there thinking.
Soon after a while I fell asleep.
When I woke up it was 5:43 pm I walked down stairs and stopped as I heard Mom and Dad’s voices.
“Well, Becky needs her Family” Said Mom, in a whispering tone.
“I know, and I might be able to get relocated” He said, also whispering.
I kept listening silently.
“I wonder what New York is like anyway?” She asked, getting up from the dining room table, and making her way to the coffee pot.
“Fascinating” he said, nodding.
He had gone to New York City, New York for business, plus he was born there.
Mom really doesn’t like the city, due to the fact that she lived her whole life right here in Texas.
“Really?....” There was a pause as she poured a small cup, and sat back down.
“Let’s do it” she said taking a final breath before Dad answered.
He nodded looking at her.
“We’ll have to get Apartment, or loft, something inexpensive, in case she umm” He faltered, already knowing what she would say.
“Peter!” Mom exclaimed, almost spilling her coffee.
“I’m just saying she tends to get a little over-excited” He said, putting his hands up in surrender.
“The job is permanent” she said, I’m afraid she was more likely reassuring herself more then Dad.
“What ever you say, were all in this together” He said nodding.
Not only was I trying to keep back my sudden ‘almost’ out burst of Laughing, but the thought of High School Musical made my skin crawl.
Mom sighed. “What about Mom?” She said, looking into his eyes.
“Well Lain will have to step up to the plate” he said,
She nodded in agreement.
“She’s not going to get anywhere in life if she doesn’t do anything but, Eat, shop, sleep, and watch Dramas all day.” He said, ranting on, and on, as if he got some kind of sick joy out of this.
“You’re absolutely right” she said, grabbing the phone.
He smiled, proud of himself.
“I know” He said.
“Wait should I call? Because they always have some way of changing my mind for me” she said, slowly setting the phone back down.
He smiled, as an idea came to mind.
“See, we get packed up, and then tell” he said, pressing his fingers together.
“So then, they will let us leave without changing our minds for us, Monday we will tell them that give us one day to pack.” He said, looking around.
“We can’t take everything, or the drive will be Horrible” As he took a sip of his own coffee.
“I don’t need to take everything, she said. “We can rent a U-haul to pull our Furniture, and Important things, and then put the rest in the side, and back of the car.”
They looked at each other, highly proud of themselves.
“It’s the plan?” He asked.
“Oh, it’s the plan” She said, with a smile so big.
“Well, I’m not breaking the news” he said. “Telling Brooklyn will wear me out” he said, “And I’ve got to work tomorrow”
“I’ll go” she said, standing up, leaving her Coffee.
Mom was walking toward, me not noticing I was on the stair case, when I tiptoed lightening fast up to my room, I scrambled onto my Bed.
I was hurt.
“Brooklyn?” Said, Mom Knocking on the wall by the door, but clearly seeing I was in my bed.
She walked over and sat on the end.
“I’ve got something I want to tell you” She said, she took my hand and rubbed it softly.
“Were…..Moving” she said.
“What?!” I said, trying to act surprised, it worked.
“Your sister needs her Family this is a big opportunity for her” she said.
She looked at me with her sad blue eyes.
“But, she just got the letter?” I said.
“She starts on next Monday” she said, letting go of my hand. “That gives us time to get there get a Hotel, and get an apartment” she finished, and nodded her head.
I sighed.
“Where to, exactly Mom?” I asked, kinda depressed.
“Downtown New York” She said, biting her lip.
My mouth dropped. “Downtown?” I said, I didn’t know it was downtown….I thought maybe it was out in the country-New York, I remembered something….Yes it’s coming to me, the Movie Premiers, the Fashion stores, and the beautiful beaches!
“Mmm hmm” she nodded.
“Ooooh” I said, “Well, change is good” I said, nodding enthusiastically.
I was thinking Maybe, I might be able to get a career in reporting also, but then I would leave my friends.
She smiled.
“Ok so start cleaning your room, I need to run down to the store and get some boxes” She said.
“Wait when are we leaving?” I asked, confused.
“Tuesday” she said, smiling as she walked out.
“Oh Snap” I muttered.

Chapter Two-Love Hurts

She ended up falling asleep in stead of cleaning the room. She lay there, with her head hanging off the bed, almost snoring. She had a nightmare that she was moving, and Becky did something good in her life, oh wait that part was real. She woke up, her head still hanging off the bed, light streamed in through windows.
"Ow" she said, holding her neck, and trying to pull herself up.
"Here" said, a voice, as it helped her up a little. "Thanks" murmured, Brooklyn looking up.
She saw Becky and immediately screamed. "Ahhhh" which was followed by a thump.
She had flipped back over and landed on the hardwood floors. "Owwwwww" She moaned, rubbing her back.
"Umm…..That was your fault" Becky said, biting her lip, with her hands behind her back.
Brooklyn slowly stood up holding her back like a crippled lady.
"What do you want?" She asked, as sat down on her bed. "I don't want anything" Becky said, smiling.
Becky sat down by her on the bed, with her arms still behind her back.
Brooklyn raised an eyebrow as a thought came to mind. "Does she have something for me?" I thought.
Becky pulled a wrapped gift from behind her back, smiling. "I've been saving up."
Brooklyn's eyes grew wide, as she put her hands out for the gift; it was a small box, wrapped in Christmas paper.
"Its Summer time?" said Brooklyn seeing the paper. "It was the only thing I could find" Becky Whined.
"Ooook" Brooklyn drew out the word, sarcastically, grabbing the gift from Becky's hands.
Before Brooklyn opened, it she looked up. "Thanks" she said timidly.
"No need to thank me." She said, smiling.
Brooklyn raised an eyebrow. "Ok" she said, wanting to cut to the chase. "Go ahead and open it" she said, happily.
Brooklyn ripped it open, as paper flew everywhere. She stopped, her eyes grew wide.
"Oh my goodness" she said, staring at the gift, her sister had just given her.
She had just opened her new Iphone.
"I thought maybe since your friends have an Iphone, you could keep in touch" she said, smiling.
"You saved up your money, so you could get me an Iphone" she said, staring at her.
"I brought it, last night when you were asleep" she said, still smiling. "I felt bad"
Brooklyn tackled Becky with a hug, "Thank you" she repeated fifty times.
"You deserved it" she said, hugging back then pulling away.
"But I have to go it's my last day of work" she said, getting off the bed. "I'm really glad you like it I'll see you later, and your welcome" she said smiling as she walked out.
"Wow" She murmured staring at her new toy. She hugged the thing, and was now thinking of names to call it.
She never knew Becky could ever be this nice; she wasn't used to such nig change.
But now she knew she had to get her room done, before Mom had a cow.
She sat down on the floor, by her stack of drawings, she searched through them, only
taking out the ones she really liked. There were some of Ivory, and Aaron her two best friends ever.
Some sketches of the western Landscape on Texas, and some of horses.
She put her art and supplies into a box, and started packing her valuables.
Every once in a while she'd look over at her new phone, as a grin spread across her face.
Three hours later-Brooklyn was sprawled out on the floor.
"I'm, done" she called to her Mom, weakly. Most of her possessions were in boxes.
Excluding her Clothes and Bed.
Her mom trudged up the staircase. And looked in, and entered.
"Wow, looks great up here" she said, as she inspected.
She breathed a sigh, "Yeah" she said, as she slumped against my bed, thinking of what she would do tomorrow.

Chapter Three-The cold Hard Truth

I knew it was time to hit the sack, ‘cause my head was fixing to explode. I Grunted as I stood up, I had no idea how long I’d been there, racking my brain. Ugh why did I always have the bad luck, the black cat, the sister her gave me an Iphone. Never mind that last part. Jumping out the window was always an option, but suicide wasn’t the call.
I fell backward on my bed, hitting the pillow and turning over. Sleep was always my option. Yeah that’s my kinda Bliss.
Whoop yay next morning how about we all scream in poor Brooklyn’s ear to wake her up. Your call. “Up, Up, UP, UP” Yelled My Aunt Lain as her voice grew louder.
“Ahh” I shrieked jumping up. Lain smirked.
“Its 6 o’clock” She said, folding her arms. “I came here to help you guys and your mom told me to wake you up” She said, walking toward the door.
“Yeah, I’m a wake” I said, rolling my eyes. I got up, walking to my closet.
Gosh Lain was so annoying.
“Unless your going to wear monkey Jammies to school, get some clothes on” She said snidely and walked out. Lain is lazy and is no help that’s why she’s not being her self cause we have to move, and she’ll be alone helping grandma. Work isn’t on her dilemma.
I shut the door behind her. “Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out” I should have told her.
Eventually I changed into an aeropostle shirt, jeans, a thin stripped ‘fashionable’ sweater and converse. Ok so I’m not all about fashion but I wanted to look my best today. That is for my grave.
I grabbed my bag, and combed my hair leaving it down. Then I walked to the stairs, sliding down the banister. I landed gracefully on my feet, I ran into Dad. “Hey” Dad said, drinking coffee.
“Hey” I said, “Good morning”
He smiled, and patted my shoulder. “Good morning” he said. Then Dad walked into the kitchen. I didn’t know how many people were here. Lain, grandma, Lain’s Boyfriend.
And more people who were sadly related to me.
I walked in grabbing what I needed most. Coffee. Everybody looked at me. “Hey, Hi,” They said. My face flushed. I picked up my cup and smiled. “Hi” I said, I walked to the living room. Yay Mom saw me.
She walked up, putting her hands on my shoulders. “Have a great time today” she said. I looked at her. “I’ll try” I said, my voice breaking on the last word. She hugged me.
“Honey” she said, pulling out something and putting it in my hand. “Here, do something” she said, smiling. I looked down she had given me some money. “I know you’re broke” she said, then chuckled at little. How embarrassing. I smiled. “Thanks”
“I’m going to walk to school” I said. I put the money in my pocket. She nodded. “That’s fine” she said. “Ok well I’m going to go” I said. Man this was really awkward. “Ok, love you” she said, waving a little. “Love ya” I said opening the front door. I walked out; a breeze hit me in the face messing up my abnormally perfect hair.
“Crap” I said, holding my head for the next breeze. It was stormy and the wind was blowing hard, picking up dirt and leaves as it went. I started jogging to the end of the street. Soon after a wrestle with the wind, and unfortunately the wind won I was there.
At the school, looking it up from down, I didn’t want to forget what it looked like. I kinda did now since my best friend in the world was staring at me. Ivory.
“Hey” She said, walking toward me. Her curly black hair was up in a pony tail. She was smiling, but then frowned when she saw my face. “Brooklyn what is wrong?” She asked me. I sighed. “I got to talk to you” I said. I walked in the school with her following me.
“Brooklyn?” She asked, you could certainty tell she was worried.
“Ivory, this is big news” I said my voice shaky, I stopped by my locker. She stood by me.
“Go on” she said, watching me. I sighed.
Okay I can do this; we can still keep in touch right? Maybe…I didn’t want to hyperventilate in front of her she would think I was crazy or something in that general section.
“I’m moving” I managed to get out. I closed my eyes, for her to freak out.
“What?” She said, softly. “What about graduation? Together…what about the spring dance?” She asked, me looking down.
“I-“I didn’t know what to say “I never wanted this” I said.
Then Aaron walked up.
“Hey” He said, he sounded so happy. Yay. “Something Wrong?” He asked Ivory
“Yeah” She said. “Something is” With that she walked off not saying anything else.
I turned to my locker putting in the combination. “Brook…what’s going on?” He asked.
“Nothing…” I said, putting Chemistry books in my locker. I looked at all the pictures of us I had, then I started to take them down.
“I’m moving” I said plucking photo’s off the locker. He stood there for a second.
Then his eye brows came together. “Wha-what?” he asked shockingly.
“Just what I said” I said, closing my locker.
“Why?” Is all he managed to get out. “Before rubbing his head.”
“I was going to take you to the Spring dance and we were going to graduate.” He said.
I blushed, the Spring dance? “But why are moving?” He asked.
“Spring Dance? You were going to take me?” I asked. He sighed. “You didn’t answer my question.” He said. I laughed. “Brook this is no time for jokes” he said.
Ok so me and Aaron have always been friends…but the spring dance? Hmm…
“I know but there’s nothing I can do about it” I said, looking down.
“Well when are you leaving?” He asked me.
“Tomorrow” I choked out. I felt like going under a rock to cry, forever.
He stepped in and hugged me. A flush of relief flooded me, I still had someone who understood, and had always understood, my problems. I hugged back, for once time felt slowed down like eternity happened forever ago.
He pulled back hands still on my shoulders. “Take a jacket” he said. “It’s could in New York still. This time of year” He smiled. Walking backwards. “I’ve got to go…Algebra” he said.
I smiled whipping a tear for my face. “Yeah…see ya later” I said, with a quick wave it was over. All of it…that was so weird. I never cried or teared up, I mean sometimes. Then I had that mushy feeling inside of me. You know that warm one you get? Ah never mind. I stuck my hand in my pocket when I realized I still had the money mom gave me from this morning. I felt like jumping with glee but I had to keep my reputation till I left.
You’re probably asking ‘What reputation?’ Yeah well I’ll pick that back up with my brain and dignity later.
Ok I was sure that now I was going to take them somewhere. Aaron, Ivory and Kameron.
I brushed my hair out of my face and started walking. To Chemistry yay what a way to start a day.
Yuck that rhymed.

~Erin

Hope you like it, Typos, messed up parts just tell me.
If you're not a fan then just reply to ask anything.

Request from you for the story, I will look over and maybe stick in the story. I post this on Deviantart.com to my account is ErinBeth.
Have a chance to get a paragraph inserted in the story if you really like it:)

Fly on,
Erin
Erinbeth
Erinbeth
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... Siggy

Female Posts : 1133

http://www.indianafloorsllc.com/

Back to top Go down

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... Empty Re: ***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::...

Post by Mordor 3/26/2010, 1:29 pm

That's really good, Erin! I like it.
Mordor
Mordor
Novel Creator
Novel Creator

Female Posts : 2069

Back to top Go down

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... Empty Re: ***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::...

Post by Erinbeth 3/26/2010, 1:36 pm

Thanks Frodo XD
Erinbeth
Erinbeth
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 3/26/2010, 5:20 pm

:3 Ooh, I enjoy it so far! Keep writing.

My crit would be to watch the grammar. nod I'm seeing some commas where they shouldn't be and none where there should be, particularly before the ending quotations. For example:

You're doing this:
"I will die" she said.

It should be this:
"I will die," she said.

Other than that, though, you did great. :3
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 1312***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 2412***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 3349***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 3548***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erinbeth 3/26/2010, 11:18 pm

Thanks my “Mad Comma Skills” Haven’t kicked in yet XD
Erinbeth
Erinbeth
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 3/27/2010, 8:00 am

Lol, you'll get there! xD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 1312***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 2412***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 3349***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 3548***Brooklyn's Story...:::The Move:::... 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erinbeth 3/28/2010, 3:23 pm

Thanks
Erinbeth
Erinbeth
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Back to top Go down

Post by ~>*Alexis*<~ 4/2/2010, 8:28 pm

Very good!
~>*Alexis*<~
~>*Alexis*<~
Short Story Writer
Short Story Writer

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down