The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =)

2 posters

Go down

Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =) Empty Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =)

Post by Meerkat Scribe 4/17/2010, 6:27 pm

Whee! My first exerpt to be critiqued! farao

Anyways, this was just a short scene I drummed up when I was bored. It's not really well done and I just did it for a practice to see how to create good horror. (as you can see, I kinda rushed it at the end)

This is an exerpt from a future story plot involving my blind Colonial detective, Amos Medilin. He's basically lured into a home by this creepy old man and...well...just read the rest. Very Happy

I felt along the wall with one hand, feeling the wet moss that clung onto the old bricks. So damp. So brittle.
Something light brushed against my leg. I jump, holding my cane up protectively.
“Easy, boy,” I heard a nasally, old voice say from a door not far from me, “That be my cat.”
“Your cat?” I paused.
“Yes, boy. Now come. Come, come. There’s a storm coming. I see the dark clouds behind the church towers. Do you hear the thunder yet, boy?”
I listened carefully.
“I don’t hear no thunder.” I replied.
“Deaf too, boy?” he asked. I heard a wince, then a light footstep in water. I assumed he was limping towards me. Moments later, I felt a shriveled, wrinkled hand touching my shoulder.
“Come.” he repeated, lightly pulling at my shirt. “Come, come.”

Moments later, the door shut behind me and the man had me remove my coat and hat so he could put it on a nearby table.
“My name be Mister Greg Plunger, boy.” the man said as he led me to a table and had me seated. “What be your name?”
“Amos. Amos Medilin, sir.”
“Amos…” Mister Plunger pondered on that name. “Good name, boy. Good name.” He moved a char close to mine and winced softly as he sat in the chair. “Reminds me of me sons.”
“Your sons?”
“Oh, yes, me sons. Left me when me harlot of a wife left me.” he said. I could sense anger brimming in those words.
“You wouldn’t think me rude if I asked to see your face, would you?”
I shifted in my seat. What did he mean by this? Could he not see my face?
“L-Look, I really should go, Mister Plunger. Thank you for your hospitality, but my family might be expecting me.”
I quickly got up and felt my way back to the entrance. As I pulled on my coat, I could hear Mister Plunger slowly moving toward me.
“You really don’t want to be going, boy.” he said with a serious voice. “The world is dangerous!”
“I can manage.” I replied. I gripped the doorknob and twisted the handle. However, before I could open it and leave, I felt his hand squeeze my shoulder painfully and, to my horror, the muzzle of a pistol at my skull.
“Close the door, boy.”
My hand was shaking, my palms sweaty. I wanted to leave this cruel atmosphere, to flee as fast as I was able. Mister Plunger pressed the gun against my head and I hesitantly closed it.
“The world is dangerous. People are dangerous. Stay with me, and you shall live.” Mister Plunger stroked my cheek. I shuddered in terror.
“Why?”
Mister Plunger didn’t respond. Instead, he took my hand in his and raised it up to his eyes. I suspected that maybe his eyes were disfigured or maimed in some way, but nothing. Nothing in the world could’ve prepared me for the horror. He forcibly took my index and middle fingers and pressed them into his eyelids. I expected to feel eyeballs, but they went in too deep. They went right into the eye sockets.
I opened my mouth, wanting to scream, but no words came. Instead, a wave of nausea and horror overtook me. My knees buckled and I fell, striking my head into the table, knocking me out of my senses.

So, what did you think of it? Comments? Suggestions? I know I wrote it when I was bored. Wasn't really trying. XD Still, I'd love to know how to make this scene even more creepier.

Last edited by Meerkat Scribe on 4/17/2010, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =) Empty Re: Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =)

Post by Cyn431 4/17/2010, 6:57 pm

That ending thing had me thinking of this one picture where a hand was crawling out from a lower eyelid... Except the hand was going the other way... o.0

He moved a char close to mine and winced softly as he got in.
I don't know if I misread it or something, but for the sake of conventions (that's what grammar and spelling are, right?), did you mean chair? And also, for a moment I was confused when you said 'got in.' Did you mean 'sat down' or did you literally mean got in something?

He forcibly took my index and middle fingers and pressed them into his eyelids, they went in too deep
It might help to put a conjunction after the comma. nod I don't think you'd be ignoring something important if you disagreed with my advice, but I tend to look at the little things. xP

“Close the door, boy.”
I closed the door.
Take it or not, I think you're very capable of adding some more description into Amos' action, since you were able to put detail into the mossy wall. Did he just close it? Or were hesitation and panic teasing at Amos' nerves, making his hand tremble almost to the point of vibration as he let go of the chilly but vital exit from this cruel aura? (I shouldn't have written that, it's like I'm trying to write it for you. xP Sorry.)

I notice none of my (hopefully constructive) criticism has nothing to do with the horror of the excerpt. With a decently firm stomach, I think it was good, considering I pushed my head farther back into my chair's back-thing. If you wanted to make it creepier, maybe at the end this antagonist (or whoever) brushes his finger(tip/nail)s against his face, sending a chill down Amos' spine, or something else kind of spooky with untrustworthy contact. cheesy Ah, horror really gets my hyper side running!

Hope I was of... Some assistance. xD From a scale of 1-10 I'd probably give it a 9.5 or higher.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =) Empty Re: Excerpt from a story I'm writing. =)

Post by Meerkat Scribe 4/17/2010, 7:09 pm

You've made some good points. I've edited my first post so it has the updated version.

I also noted a slight problem. If Mister Plunger was blind, how could he know that Amos was blind? How would he know where Amos' head was as the latter is trying to leave? Who taught him how to use a gun and WHY would they have wanted too?

A bit of a plothole, I should fix. Smile It probably doesn't matter but I'm too OCD to just leave that hanging. Plus, maybe Mister Plunger was blinded later in life, so yeah. :3

Still, I think there is a lot of room for improvement because it seems that I've had Mister Plunger jump from being a kindly old man to shoving Amos' fingers into his eyesockets. Shocked I should figure out how to ramp up the terror and creepiness before that part.
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 4/17/2010, 7:44 pm

Ah, but a plot hole there might not be! It depends on how you want to create the old man's past. (again I began rambling to the point of writing myself, so part of this is in the spoiler. xP)
Spoiler:

Although some bit-of-a-stretch plotting could be put in to make ramping not absolutely necessary, I agree, it could use a bit more of a creepy edge before the whole thing with the gun. nod

*reads updated version* That's better. Very Happy
Now that I've read back, I noticed you mentioned water... Could that incorporate with the horror you want to ramp up more by some chance?
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 4/17/2010, 8:23 pm

Cyn431 wrote:Ah, but a plot hole there might not be! It depends on how you want to create the old man's past. (again I began rambling to the point of writing myself, so part of this is in the spoiler. xP)
Spoiler:

Although some bit-of-a-stretch plotting could be put in to make ramping not absolutely necessary, I agree, it could use a bit more of a creepy edge before the whole thing with the gun. nod

*reads updated version* That's better. Very Happy
Now that I've read back, I noticed you mentioned water... Could that incorporate with the horror you want to ramp up more by some chance?

Wow, that's a good idea. :3

And I've already come up with a backstory as to what happened to him and what he wants with dear Amos. >=) I would tell you, but I don't wanna spoil for ya.

And water? I'm not sure how to incorporate it into the horror.

Last edited by Meerkat Scribe on 4/17/2010, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 4/17/2010, 8:25 pm

Thanks. x3 Okay, and thanks for not spoiling. Smile

Hm... Maybe it's just my weird mind. *shrugs* Oh well, that was another stretch anyway. Rolling Eyes
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 4/17/2010, 8:31 pm

lol.

I also wondered something. What would add to the creepiness/tragic factor: Amos having a family of some sorts (adoptive or otherwise) or maybe he's a loner wandering the streets?

b/c I figured that if he had a family, then there would be a good chance that someone, like the brother, riding in to bust some booty and that might risk a deux ex machina. Amos has to rely on his own wit to get himself out of sticky situations.
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 4/17/2010, 8:36 pm

For creepiness, I'm not sure, but for the tragic/tragedy thing, the latter would suit better. nod A blind detective, wandering the streets--and actually, this could also be creepy if thought out a certain way--bystanders marvel as to how he survives...
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 4/17/2010, 8:51 pm

Ah good! It plays right into what I had planned for him.

See, Amos lives and works part time in a tavern under the watchful eye of its owner, so yeah, he does have kinda a place to live. Smile

btw, I was thinking he'd be 15-years-old too.
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 4/17/2010, 8:56 pm

Ooh‼️ I likey. nod At least it's some sort of source of life's necessities (food, water, et cetera--or is it etcetera?)

Okay, I was wondering about how old he was. That would add some more tragedy to the situation. Wink
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Meerkat Scribe 4/17/2010, 9:01 pm

Cyn431 wrote:Ooh‼️ I likey. nod At least it's some sort of source of life's necessities (food, water, et cetera--or is it etcetera?)

Okay, I was wondering about how old he was. That would add some more tragedy to the situation. Wink

It would. bounce Plus how he got to the tavern in the first place and the history behind the owner's family.
Meerkat Scribe
Meerkat Scribe
Microfiction Scribbler
Microfiction Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down