The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =]

3 posters

Go down

Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] Empty Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =]

Post by Dragon Lover 5/23/2010, 12:18 pm

Lessons in Thiefhood....
by H. A. Sparrow
[Anyone got a better title idea than that? xD]

Maturity; Not sure yet, making it up as I go along, but probably a fair share of it. Fantasy; Mmmm...a made up town? That's about it, I suppose.

Author's Note;
I really have no idea where this story came from nor where it is going. So please don't be mad if I only write a chapter and then put it down. =P The concept kind of just sprang up from a freewrite.
As well, constructive criticism is welcome. And please don't mind my spelling and grammar screw ups.

...Lessons in Thiefhood...

Prologue;

This story starts where many, many stories have started before. A dark, stormy night. Cue thunder, lighting, and rain screaming against the windowpanes, beating down mercilessly on the city street.

A great sound of tearing ripples through the sky and the woman winces. The toddler girl in her arm cries out and looks around, her eyes wide in fear. "Shh," she whispers, hugging the child to her chest. "Don't make a sound, darling. Mommy's got you. Mommy will protect you."

"I hear them!"

The mother winces and curses, looking down at the toddler. The child's eyes are wide in fear. "Comin'," she says, twining her little hands about her mother's long, knotted hair.

She winces and frees the girls hands. "That's right, they're coming."

She runs faster.

Rounding the corner down the block is a group of men. Burly things they are, bearing trinkets and gold teeth and reeking of sewage. "There she is! She and her brat! Faster! You, through the alley! She can't get away!"

"Momma," the little girl wails, wrapping her arms tightly around her mother's neck.

The woman gags, nearly dropping the child. "Tight," she hisses, yanking off the child's arms so hard that she cries. Panic fills her, and she slaps a wet hand over the child's face. "HUSH!"

The rain is falling in metallic sheets, almost so loud that her footsteps are deadened in the night.

Almost.

She keeps running, splashing golden puddles of water out of her way, dipping behind streetlamps, soaring over curbs and weaving her way through sparse traffic and a few seldom pedestrians. Some how she doesn't hear the angry shouts of the cart drivers nor the shrill whinnies from their horses. All she knows is she must get Emily to a safe place.

Emily closes her eyes, her face still stinging from being slapped. Her lank, tangled curly red hair bounces about her and sticks to her forehead. She's wet, cold, and unhappy. Shaking her head, she looks up at Mommy. "Mommy, I scared," she whispers, trembling violently.

The woman throws herself against a brick wall, pausing for a moment. She's run several dozen blocks now, and is past exhausted. But the adrenaline pumping through her veins won't let her rest; she looks down at Emily. "Emily," she wheezes.

"Mommy?" Raindrops pelt the child's face as she turns it to look up at her mother.

A deep booming laugh echoes down the street. "Dacia! Come out come out wherever you are, honey...."

Dacia whimpers a curse and turns quickly, as if to dart down the alley way. To her horror, her only escape route is blocked. She stands for a moment, frozen. Then she sinks to a sitting position against the wall, letting out a silent sob.

Emily looks up at her mother, confused. "Mommy, no cry," she says, putting a grimy little hand against her mother's cheek. "No cry, Mommy, no cry."

Dacia slaps her daughter's hand away. "Emily," she tells her, looking into the little gray eyes earnestly. "Listen to me, Emily."

"I listen."

"You're going to take this," Dacia reaches into her pocket and fishes out a small bag. It jingles softly as she sets it into Emily's tiny, chubby hand. "And you're going to take this," She unfastens a bracelet from her wrist. It's fashioned from gold, and from it dangles three beautiful charms: a lion, a heart, and an angel.

"Kitty," whispers Emily.

"Listen!" Dacia says sharply. She pulls off her cloak and wraps it around Emily. "Just down the street is a very big building with candles in the window. Go straight to the building and tell them, 'I'm Emily Marie Flynn, my Mommy is Dacia, and she sent me here.' Alright?"

Emily's still mystified by the lion charm. She strokes it, whispering, "Kitty, kitty."

Dacia takes the little girl by her shoulders and gives her a rough shake. "Emily!"

The girl bursts into tears.

"Dacia, I can hear your brat crying. I know where you are. I'm coming. Boys, this way."

Dacia envelopes the child in a hug, kissing her. "I love you, my baby," she whispers. "I'm sorry." She then stands and practically tosses Emily into the street.

Emily sits there for a few seconds, then starts screaming, "NO! MOMMY!" She scrambles to her feet and turns around, putting her arms out. "MOMMY!"

She's answered with a sharp kick to her behind. "Go!"

Emily turns, wailing in pain. She runs as fast as her short legs will carry her. Down the cobbled road, her bare feet aching after only a few seconds; water sloshes up from great puddles and wets whatever part of her was still dry. The cloak trips her every so often, but she clings to it dearly with one hand, the bracelet and money with the other. She doesn't look back.

Slowly the rain lets up, and Emily finds herself standing on the corner of a street, staring up at a big building. Mommy had told her to look for a building with candles in the window, (yes, she'd been listening). This one has a single candle in the window. She looks at the door for a moment longer, and then lays down in front of it, curling up in the cloak. The young girl starts to drift into sleep, but not before hearing a piercing scream echo down through the town.

She lifts her heavy head for just a moment, whimpering, "Momma?"

And so, our story begins....

Last edited by Dragon Lover on 5/23/2010, 12:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

MATT II IS MY OLDER BROTHER! =D
Credit to Ave for my amazing siggie. [:
Female Posts : 9059

Back to top Go down

Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] Empty Re: Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =]

Post by Dragon Lover 5/23/2010, 12:18 pm

RESERVED!
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] Empty Re: Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =]

Post by Dragon Lover 5/23/2010, 12:19 pm

RESERVED!
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Reeesseeerrrrvveeeddddddd! =]
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Reservation. Cool

Okay, now ya'll can post. xD
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah the Flood 5/23/2010, 12:26 pm

Awh.
Thats sad.
BUt I like it!
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Male Posts : 10544

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Lover 5/23/2010, 12:30 pm

It's supposed to be, durh. xD
But thank you! *ruffles hair*
Dragon Lover
Dragon Lover
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/23/2010, 6:23 pm

Aw my gosh. Sad Poor Emily! This is really good, DL.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] 1312Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] 2412Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] 3349Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] 3548Lessons in Thiefhood - The Story of a Runaway - [Anyone have any better tilte ideas? =P] - Prolouge Up =] 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down