The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Say Essay

2 posters

Go down

I Say Essay Empty I Say Essay

Post by Akeria 5/24/2010, 7:35 pm

I have to write an essay on Othello for my Shakespearean English class, I decided to do the following prompt: The character of Iago from "Othello" has been called one of the greatest villains in English literature. Agree or disagree with that characterization and support your opinion with information from the play. (If you see something that looks like Shakespeare:1.1.213-239, that's a citation. Those are fine...) If you guys could just review it, and tell me what you think... It's supposed to be a four paragraph essay, so... don't worry about the size, it's two pages, I promise. Very Happy

Throughout Shakespeare, one of the main consistencies is the presence of a villain in the works. In Julius Caesar, it was Brutus, Tamora from Titus Andronicus, Don John from Much Ado About Nothing, and Claudius from Hamlet, but perhaps, most notable of all Shakespearean villains is Iago. During the course of the play, Iago has the deliberate intention to manipulate and betray people as a result of a fit of jealousy. Iago’s manipulation of characters and betrayal of the idea of being “honest” leads to him be classified as a villain.

Iago’s manipulation is observed throughout the book, starting with when the perception of his power over Roderigo becomes apparent. “I say, put money in thy purse. It cannot be that Desdemona should long continue her love to the Moor—put money in thy purse—nor he his to her. It was a violent commencement in her, and thou shalt see an answerable sequestration—put but money in your purse.” (Shakespeare; 1.3.384-389) At this point in the play, Iago has convinced Roderigo that Desdemona no longer loves Othello, and told him to sell all of his land and to give it to Iago. This is a prime example of Iago’s manipulation, because it manifests itself throughout the text. Iago continues to influence Roderigo’s actions, not to satisfy Roderigo’s needs, but his own jealous revenge against Othello. Iago also manipulates Othello during the course of the story. “I follow him to serve my turn upon him.” (Shakespeare; 1.1.45) Iago’s jealousy of Cassio’s promotion to lieutenant preceding Act 1, Scene 1 is the fuel for Iago’s rage through the rest of the book. Iago plans his revenge, as a villain would, by taking situations and turning them around. He does this not only by gaining Othello’s trust to then turn and betray him, but also by weaving lies through his mind about whether or not Desdemona is cheating on him with Cassio. All of these manipulations are part of his plan, spun in a jealous rage, which helps to classify him as a villain.

In addition to manipulation of main and minor characters, Iago also represents himself as a villain by providing an ironic twist to the phrase “Honest Iago”. Amidst the web of lies that Iago has spun, he is constantly referred to as “honest”. Not only dramatically ironic, the word is also situationaly ironic because of the lies. “I know, Iago. Thy honesty and love doth mince this matter, making it light to Cassio. Cassio, I love thee, but nevermore be officer of mine.” (Shakespeare; 2.3.262-265) In this part of the story, Iago has woven his web to show Othello how dishonorable Cassio is, while making himself look better throughout the situation. This ability that Iago has to spin the irony of his “honest” title, also classifies him as a villain to the audiences of Shakespeare.

In conclusion, Iago’s tendency to manipulate classifies him as a villain, but also helps bring about his downfall in the later acts of the text. Iago learns as he is put in jail that his lies and manipulation were not successful in the long run, as he loses his wife, and also his entire career to a lie from jealousy. He may have misjudged his actions as a villain, but he has earned the title of villain to reside among other great villains of Shakespeare.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

I Say Essay Empty Re: I Say Essay

Post by shadowsowner888 5/24/2010, 11:16 pm

applause I like it, Keri! I think you did awesome. The only thing I would take another look at would be how you say "Iago's manipulation" so much. It's not that there's really anything wrong with it, but . . . xD It got to sounding a little awkward after a while, so maybe you could switch the wording around a bit?
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

I Say Essay 1312I Say Essay 2412I Say Essay 3349I Say Essay 3548I Say Essay 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 5/25/2010, 6:34 am

Yeah, I noticed that as I was writing... but when I looked up synonyms none of them sounded right. :/
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 5/26/2010, 11:11 pm

Well, it doesn't even have to be that different. Just like "his manipulation" or "the manipulation displayed by Iago" or something could work! ^^
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

I Say Essay 1312I Say Essay 2412I Say Essay 3349I Say Essay 3548I Say Essay 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down