The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types

+5
PugsRock
Akeria
Cyn431
Noah the Flood
The Newms
9 posters

Go down

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Empty Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types

Post by The Newms 6/21/2010, 7:45 pm

I've been blogging a lot recently. -Gasp- It's almost like I'm a person, with feelings and opinions.

Um, does this count as a format? I post a lame title, have a random, completely unrelated sentence in Bold, Center Aligned and Indigo font. Then I ramble. Does that constitute? I say it does.

Well, getting down to the actual point of this blog, I don't like stero-types. Oh, wait, Newms, you think you're special, don't you? Well, guess what. EVERYBODY ELSE HATES THEM TOO. Well, obnoxious voice in my head, thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in this less-than-fond acceptance of the world's most popular descriptions of people. Well, then, why bother blogging about it? I'll tell you, conscience!

Now, an example of a stereo-type is that people who like My Chemical Romance are emo, or that all cheerleaders are sluts. (Oh, was that last word censored? I don't know what words are allowed on here....)

Now, we know that these are not true. (Um, well I do. I'm hoping you know two people that defy these stereo-types as well.) I am in fact, a fan of MCR (eh, kinda. They get depressing after while. Nice guitar stuff, though.) and I am not one to be classified as 'emo' or 'goth' or 'angsty' or whatever the kids are calling it these days. I also have a very nice friend who is a cheerleader, and she doesn't always wear mini-skirts and walk around flirting with guys all the time. She leads a normal life. (Besides, she wears jeans when flirting with guys...)

But I didn't come here to talk about MCR or cheerleading. I came to talk about the most popular, most well-known, most over-looked stero-type. What may that be, you ask?

It's hard to define. But you'll know what I'm talking about. TV shows, movies, books, comics, you name it. Why does everybody assume that popular kids are rich, snobby and mean and that the 'losers' are really nice, misunderstood kids who always do the right thing? C'mon, you know what I'm talking about. I've fallen in the 'loser' category before. Raise your hand if you have, too. Oh, wait, we're online...

But think about it. If you have ever been considered a 'loser' or an 'outcast', then you know what I'm saying. You know, the cliquey girls who wear makeup and go shopping all the time, and always have a boyfriend or yada yada. Or the boy whose got girls clinging to every limb, or is amazing at football or whatever? As the reject of your grade, you are raised to hate these kids. They're your enemies. Why? Because they have something we don't. Whether it be money, good looks or a relationship. They're raised to hate us. Why? Because we're different from then. Whether it's the way we dress, or what music we listen to.

And so, everybody assumes that these 'popular' kids are nothing but shallow, self-centered folk who don't care about the little guy. But....is that really true?

Let's face it guys; I don't go to a normal school. And I don't say that because I want to sound cool, I say that because it's true. Our....um....curriculum is not quite average. But for my entire half a freshman year, as well as the second half of this year, I'd been friends with the 'losers'. I'd never really minded. I had friends, so that's all I really cared about. I got my work done, and I had a good time. Piece o' cake.

But, sooner or later, things change, and pretty soon, everybody had a boyfriend or girlfriend of their own. Now, I've never had at boyfriend (at my school...not that two week relationships should even count, anyway....) so I can't wholly understand, but at any rate, they cut back on talking to me. Lunch periods were spent with them smooching or cuddling and I....felt kinda like an abandoned puppy, to be honest. So, when you're ignored, you spend more time watching and listening, and less time talking. And you know what I realized?

My friends were jerks. They constantly berate me, when they did talk. I understand friends playfully tease each other, but I'd never heard a compliment from them in my life. Some of them pretended they knew everything; others complained about everything; but all of them were just plain annoying. I realized one was completely self-centered. I realized another was an arrogant jerk. But worst of all, I realized my best friend ever, was a completely hypocrite.

This isn't right, I thought. I thought my friends were s'posed to care. But they didn't. Not at all. Their hormones just took control, and they didn't even bother to fight it. So much for the super-nice, misunderstood kids. They made fun of the popular kids all the time, like it was OK. They kept calling this one girl a wh0re, not even realzing how short their own shorts were, or how low-cut their shirts were. I couldn't believe it.

So, disconsolate and friendless, I went to go play a basketball game with some other kids up byt the cafeteria. And I didn't really talk to much of them before this, but the game made me happy. The kids had no problem with me joiing their game; although I was a loser, they didn't care. To them, I was just another player. Everyone was equal on that court. I began tlaking to different people in my classes. You know what I found out? One 'popular' girls loves to play Pokemon. One loves country music. One guy thinks Hawaiin shirts are awesome.
Do these sound like the stereo-typical hotshots you see on TV? These kids don't have a mean bone in their body, yet they're some of the most popular kids in our grade.

ALSO, I DON'T LIKE CALLING PEOPLE 'LOSERS' BECAUSE NOBODY LOSES AT LIFE. I just didn't have another word.....

So guys, tell me.

1. Would you classify yourself as 'popular, 'outcast/loner' or 'friends with everybody'?
2. Happy where you are? Or d'you wanna change?
3. Have your friends ever dumped you for a significant other?
4. Do you think cliques are OK, or do you want everybody to be friends with each other?
5. Do you agree with me? Should I have stayed with my old friends, or was it OK to move on?

IN OTHER NEWS:
The water in my fishbowl had just become cloudier, and cloudier over the weekend. When I cleaned it today, I found an M&M on the bottom. I decided that was a good name for my fish, so now little Emmy has joined our family!
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Siggy

Female Posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Empty Re: Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types

Post by Noah the Flood 6/21/2010, 7:57 pm

1. Would you classify yourself as 'popular, 'outcast/loner' or 'friends with everybody'? Hmm..really, I don't know. I have friends, but there are some people that are...enimies I guess, and some people who have really never even talked to me. I guess I'm alittle of all of them?
2. Happy where you are? Or d'you wanna change? I wish my looks were different, but other then that...I'm happy where I am on social level, anyway.
3. Have your friends ever dumped you for a significant other? Yeaah.
4. Do you think cliques are OK, or do you want everybody to be friends with each other? Hm...IDK! It depends on what kinda mood I'm in. But mainly, I just wish people were friends all the time Razz
5. Do you agree with me? Should I have stayed with my old friends, or was it OK to move on? It was okay to move on. I think, by the sounds of it, they where being jerky and inconsiderate.
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Male Posts : 10544

Back to top Go down

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Empty Re: Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types

Post by Cyn431 6/21/2010, 7:59 pm

1. Would you classify yourself as 'popular, 'outcast/loner' or 'friends with everybody'? Lately I've become friends with everybody, or have been friends with everybody at one point or another, barring those that have totally betrayed me in the past. *growls in anger* >.<
2. Happy where you are? Or d'you wanna change? Totally happy.
3. Have your friends ever dumped you for a significant other? Well, one of them kind of dumped me by accusing me of like-liking this one dude I'd been friends with forever (though I think he was just jealous that I had him, Razz try to get my hint), if that counts. And then I ended up dumping all guys until I became more comfortable just last year.
4. Do you think cliques are OK, or do you want everybody to be friends with each other? I think cliques are OK as long as they don't go around being female dogs about it.
5. Do you agree with me? Should I have stayed with my old friends, or was it OK to move on? It was OK to move on. I do that all the time, but that's not why. Hopefully this little thing here doesn't suck ...
Do you want to eat out of the same cookie jar all your life? It's a life's supply of cookies in that jar, and you eat one a day. But eventually the cookies in that jar are going to get moldy and yucky. Are you still going to eat out of that jar? Of course not. Instead you're going to go to the cracker box and munch on those!
... If you like cookies and crackers, anyway. You can use other food types in that analogy if you prefer. xD
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/21/2010, 8:06 pm

Cyn.....haha.....your analogies.....xD

But both of you made excellent points! It's good to know other people aren't all black-and-white about this issue. I try to maintain a friendly relationship with as many people as I can.

(And Cyn, I got the hint xP)
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 6/21/2010, 8:20 pm

Heh heh. xD

Yeah, it's always good to have as many people as you can on your side, especially in middle school in my opinion: keep them with you early so not as many people will cremate you in high school. tongue Though I can't say that from experience as I'm only entering the eighth grade in August.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/21/2010, 8:27 pm

Oh, that doesn't work for me, I went to a different HS than my entire middle school....But, it's a good philosophy.
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 6/21/2010, 8:42 pm

1. Would you classify yourself as 'popular, 'outcast/loner' or 'friends with everybody'?
Honestly, I have no clue. Is "floater" a category? I'm friends with everybody. Oh wait, there is a category for that. /blind... But anyway, yeah. I'm friends with the band kids, the orchestra kids, the popular kids, the football players, wrestlers, cheerleaders, drama kids, and the ones in the middle. I fit into every category one way or another. I'd like to think I'm pretty well rounded.
I'm perfectly happy. I'm popular in my own way. My mom actually is amazed by it. When she comes to pick me up, kids who speak completely different languages come and say good bye to me. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm the only Siobhan in the school, but a million people definitely know my name.
Real friends don't dump you for different friends. That's all I have to say about this.
4. Do you think cliques are OK, or do you want everybody to be friends with each other?
I think everything is fine in moderation. I'm an OCD person, so I like things organized. Including my friends. In some ways, cliques allow me to sort them... That sounds really shallow. I didn't mean it like that. I meant that it's nice to be able to go and talk to one group of people if someone is annoying you in another group. No limitations.
5. Do you agree with me? Should I have stayed with my old friends, or was it OK to move on?
I think that what you did was right for you. You stood up for yourself without standing up for yourself... Eh. Again with the speaking in riddles that I don't understand.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/21/2010, 8:47 pm

Ah, Keri I always loved your name. =O I think you mentioned it on WI once, and I still haven't gotten over how awesome it sounds.

But, thanks for your opinions! (That'd be sweet if people spoke different languages at our school...bah humbug.)
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Akeria 6/21/2010, 8:58 pm

59 languages spoken in the halls of my high school. Smile We're cool.
Akeria
Published Author
Published Author

Click the word counter to get to my TwigWriSum story!
Female Posts : 3571

http://raceagainstmachines.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/21/2010, 9:18 pm

Yeah, you win. No contest. D=
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by PugsRock 6/21/2010, 9:19 pm

Friends with just about everybody. There are some groups that I don't talk to, but I don't think anyone hates me, except for a few obnoxious guys.

I'm pretty happy. (: I would like to be more popular amongst (sp?) the guys, but I'm fine.

NO. I would be so upset.

You can't control it. Cliques are fine. Everyone has their own friendships. (:

I think you did the right thing.
PugsRock
PugsRock
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Female Posts : 7527

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/21/2010, 10:02 pm

Thank you for answering, Pugsy! And it's good to hear that you haven't been left by your friends for their bf's/gf's. = )
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Arianna 6/22/2010, 1:03 am

1. Would you classify yourself as 'popular, 'outcast/loner' or 'friends with everybody'? Outcast. But I don't hate the popular kids. Okay, in our school they're all rich - but that doesn't matter, because everyone's pretty much rich. Sure, they focus on clothes too much, but they're not mean or anything. -shrugs- Sometimes they even talk to me if they want me to help them with their work. xD
2. Happy where you are? Or d'you wanna change? I'm happy with where I am. Lemme quote one of my friends on Facebook: "Be nice to nerds, because one day you'll be working for them." I think that's a rule lots of people at my school follow. xD
3. Have your friends ever dumped you for a significant other? Not that I know of? I haven't really got that many 'friends' at school. xD Well, a few, but I don't exactly hang out with them that much or anything...
4. Do you think cliques are OK, or do you want everybody to be friends with each other? Everyone being friends with each other Just. Doesn't. Work. It's like sticking all of the animals in a zoo in one cage and expecting them not to eat each other... even though, like I've said before, everyone's nice. It's just that everyone has different interests, and it doesn't work that way... That being said, there are some people who /are/ literally friends with everyone, from the losers to the populars. xD
5. Do you agree with me? Should I have stayed with my old friends, or was it OK to move on? Yeah, your friends sounded pretty mean. >.> I never tease anyone, just because I know how it feels to be teased. xP

Keri, we beat you. 89 languages at our school. Very Happy

And Newms, you're not a loser. no
Arianna
Arianna
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 461

http://www.pixelpuppy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStar 6/22/2010, 2:21 am

None of the above. (: I'm a social introvert. But, if I had to go in one of the three, I'd say outcast.

I like who I am.

...Not yet they haven't.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I like having a group of friends, but I don't call it a clique. For one thing, I almost always accept new people into my circle of friends - and usually almost immediately.

The latter. (:
DragonStar
DragonStar
Short Short Maker
Short Short Maker

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/22/2010, 4:25 pm

1. Um . . . friends with everyone? XD
2. :3 Totally happy. Though it couldn't hurt to work on my faults.
3. Hmm . . . I don't think so. XD
4. Cliques are okay if they can accept other people. Razz I think they're kinda impossible to avoid; there's always gonna be some groups of people that flock together . . . but if they can get along with other people, at least, I think it's okay.
5. I think you were right to move on.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 1312Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 2412Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 3349Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 3548Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Newms 6/22/2010, 5:35 pm

Haha, Ari, I've heard that quote before! It's very true, the nerds usually always end up in positions of power later on....-ponders the matter deeply-
(89 languages?! Jeez, they're lucky at our school if we're even able to say 'hola'.)
Also, that's a good analogy with the zoo animals.
Thank you for saying I'm not a loser. = )

Draggie, that's good to hear you're welcoming of newcomers. = ) I'm more of a floater these days, kinda hop from group to group, but when I was settled down I tried to accept new people as well.

And, Shadow, I'm really hungry right now, so I can't think of anything to respond to your questions right now....so, you're cool. And thanks for reading this blog xD
The Newms
The Newms
Novelette Scribe
Novelette Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 6/22/2010, 5:47 pm

Not as cool as you, Newmsie. nod No prob, lol!
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 1312Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 2412Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 3349Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 3548Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 4everme4everbeauty 6/22/2010, 10:26 pm

1. Would you classify yourself as 'popular, 'outcast/loner' or 'friends with everybody'? None of the above, I call myself a crazy, insane, nerd!
2. Happy where you are? Or d'you wanna change? Are you kidding! I love being a nerd. It makes me so cool! Cool
3. Have your friends ever dumped you for a significant other? Let me think. In some ways yes. I'd explain but my memory is kinda fuzzy with that.
4. Do you think cliques are OK, or do you want everybody to be friends with each other? I don't think cligues are OK, I know from experience in girl scouts even, that cliques are never good. But people are still gonna have enemies and that's OK. I always say, we can't have one thing without the opposite.
5. Do you agree with me? Should I have stayed with my old friends, or was it OK to move on? I think it was best that you moved on. Me and my best friend are still trying too move on from a friend who turned out to be a jerk.
4everme4everbeauty
4everme4everbeauty
Novella Composer
Novella Composer

Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Siggy~Ivy
Super Star~Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Siggy
Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Siggy~Ruby
Jazz~Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Siggy
Bloggin' it up: Newms disapproves of stereo-types Siggy~King of Diamonds

*small voices* Click us! Click us! Well give you a present!
Female Posts : 1259

http://4everme4everbeautyproductionsofficialsite.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down