The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Writers Guild
Twig has now moved to this address.
The Writers Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ambiguity of Thought

4 posters

Go down

The Ambiguity of Thought Empty The Ambiguity of Thought

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 5:46 pm

It behooves me to write a blog before Twig shuts down, and thus...

"You'll never notice the colour of sin."

If sin had a colour, what would it be?
I’m not sure if the 7 deadly sins have designated colours, really. But basically, this is what I think.

Pride – Transparent/White
I’m thinking the stereotype for this sin would generally be pink, because of vanity being associated with women and whatnot. Yet, I find transparent to be much more suiting, or if I’d have to choose a solid colour/shade, then white. Why? Because pride is depthless. It has a lot to do with being shallow and only caring about what’s on the outside. When a pool is more shallow, it gets lighter. I mean, just look at the Pokémon games. The water deep enough to dive in is a lot darker than the rest- wait, why am I using this as a reference? Anyway, I hope you get my point.

Lust – Red
Ah, lust. Well, I’m thinking red is the best for this. Because well, if we’re talking lust lust (don’t pretend you don’t know what I mean >_<) then red is the colour of roses, of lips, of hearts, of love in general… Which isn’t exactly the same thing as lust, but is often associated with it. Then there’s bloodlust, but it’s self-explanatory how that’s associated with red. Also, when one’s shy or nervous during an encounter with the one they’re lusting after, then their cheeks tend to take on that nice crimson colour. Not to mention that red’s the colour of nosebleeds! What a Face
Light: Yeah, this got awkward really fast…

Envy – Green
Well, this is the rather typical colour associated with this emotion. The expression ‘jaded with envy’ is quite common; and of course, the traditional colour of jade is green, although there are various shades of the stone. When one’s jealous of another, it’s almost like a sick feeling, a combination of anger, sadness and wanting to be like them. Sickness = green. For whatever reason, I’m not quite sure. Crystal Meth addicts have a green hue to their skin, though. So let’s just go with that, and say it makes sense.

Or, on the other hand, we can get technical.

Why do we turn “green” with envy? In antiquity, the Hebrew word for envy, qinah, referred to the burning color in the face produced by a deep emotion. The Greeks believed that jealousy was accompanied by an overproduction of bile, lending a yellowish-green pallor to the victim’s complexion. In the seventh century B.C., the poetess Sappho used the word “green” to describe the face of a stricken lover. After that, the word was used freely by other poets to denote jealousy or envy. The most famous such reference and the origin of the term “green-eyed monster” is Iago’s speech in Shakespeare’s Othello: “O! Beware my lord, of jealousy; it is the green-ey’d monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.”
Mmm, history.

Wrath – Black
I wouldn’t consider black to be a completely negative colour. Black is also the colour of protection, which is a good thing, but with protection sometimes comes wrath. A great deal of violence is caused by a need to protect something; your family, your territory, your pride. Whatever it may be, wrath could often be affiliated with protection. Also, black is commonly used to represent the darkness. When one’s wrathful, their judgment is clouded, and thus dark. I guess I could use black magick as another example of wrath, because that's the act of using a spell with intention to harm others. However, it's not the magick itself that's bad, but the user. For example, some may say necromancy (the act of 'raising the living') is black magick. Not necessarily, though. In many instances, it's merely calling a spirit to a host body to gain information. But er, let's not go there...
On a more straightforward note, I think quite a bit of violence tends to happen in dark alleys too.

Gluttony – Yellow
Well, I don’t have a really great reason for this, other than the fact that the chakra for the digestive system is yellow. Also, butter/margarine is often kind of a yellowy colour and we all know how bad for your health that is. D: I think there’s a disease that turns your eyes and whatnot yellow, too… Hepatitis? That, my friends, is because that particular disease attacks the liver. And the liver produces bile, so the bile gets into your bloodstream and turns everything yellow. And guess what causes Hepatitis? Well, there are quite a few causes, but excessive alcohol consummation is a big part of it because of all the ethanol. So don’t be gluttonous with your beer intake. no

Sloth – Purple
I figured purple was the most suiting for this emotion. I suppose because purple is also the colour of royalty. Back in the olden days, the majority of kings and queens would just laze about doing nothing while getting the peasants to do their work. Of course, there was the odd one who would battle as well, but how many times have I seen a king portrayed as a pasty ball of blubber being fed grapes (also purple) into his mouth? Perhaps I’m being stereotypical here, but I really can’t think of another colour other than grey. I’m trying to stay away from shades though, since I’ve already used black and white. Also, did you know that you can get bags under your eyes from sleeping too much? So, if you sit in bed all day, you could end up with a nice flattering splash of purple and black on your face.

Greed – Gold
Gold is the colour of coins, of palaces, of jewelry, of luxury… It pretty much screams out "greed," in my opinion. There are certainly more expensive materials out there, but I figured gold would be the rest to represent this particular sin. I mean, look at Nero, the old roman emperor. He had his palace coated in gold leaf, earning the name "Domus Aurea" which means "Golden House" in Latin. He was such a greedy man... You don't even want to hear about the rest of the materials he had his palace built out of; I just cringe thinking about how much money it must have cost. Ah, but that's a little irrelevant to the subject. I think gold being the colour for greed kind of explains itself, so I don't feel the need to elaborate further.

Now, let’s blend all those colours together…
And voila!

The colour of sin.
Beautiful, ne?

"Why do we have a word for truth when the whole world's an April Fool?"

It's odd, isn't it...
How we spend all of our lives building up reputation, and one negative action can completely shatter it all; dub you unpredictable, send you to jail, arise a rabid mob of haters. No matter how good of a citizen you were before; you could have saved the lives of countless people, brought a smile to everyone's face, built free homes for the poor...

One wrong move, and it all doesn't matter anymore. All that counts is what you did wrong, no matter how minor of an action.

Yet, that's humans for you. We're all brutally pessimistic beings... Although, perhaps that really is for the better. To be naive would be even worse, in all honesty.

It really is just a masquerade. We're online here; we all have a different image. It's probably far from what we're like in real life, whether you want to believe it or not. I know I've met people who post heart-wrenchingly dark poems, stories, RPing and whatnot... And they so happen to be complete and total happy-go-lucky nuts via PM.

It's the same thing with people in real life. There are countless people that uphold a facade; not only do they have a mask separating the workplace personality from that of at home, but they also transform when out with friends and when completely left alone. We all do have multiple personality disorder in a sense...

Or maybe we're just all liars.

Either way... Even if these separate personalities are partially phony, they become every bit a part of us. How can someone say "just be yourself" when this constant act we preform has molded us into something far from ourselves? Something more complicated than necessary.

Now, back to the first point. All that goes on here seems to be lies. You would never really know, until getting a glimpse of the harshness that goes on behind PMs...

Not only that, but replies to things are just so cold and heartless nowadays. Someone puts their effort into a poem and all someone can think of to say is, "love." Have we actually become that lazy and pathetic that it's the only response we can think of? That's why I despise the fact we don't have a minimal amount of required characters in our posts. Via PMs and chatbox, whatever. But on the actual forum, I'd like to see a bit more effort from people. I know I slack off quite a bit as well, which is another reason why I'd like some motivation with the character minimum.

It's not a terrible community here. I still love it. Yet, once the naiveness fades, one realizes that this is slowly turning not into a writers' site, but a place where there is far too much feigned sincerity to be anything close to real. I'd never have the heart to leave it of course, but...

Perhaps I'm slightly bitter. Drowning in the self-pity and pretentious sadism of others with perfectly fine lives whilst reading about Satanic Ritual Abuse doesn't tend to put one in a good mood... Sorry.

"Whenever we close our eyes."

Orenji no Taiyou
Hyde & Gackt

At dusk, I beheld the orange sun with you.
With a teary face, you bid an eternal farewell.

I watched your innocent face as you frolicked with the waves.
Running along the beach with your bare feet, you are so precious to me.

I carved your name in the sand and decorated it with shells.
Nuzzled together behind it, we watched as the waves washed it away.

The blue sky hides our breath and the red sunset embraces us.
And I embrace you too, as I close my eyes.

Endless joy and sadness, and countless hellos and farewells,
Unchanging from before, the orange sun continues to watch on gently.

Back then, we dreamed of an eternity together.
Believing we would never part, we smiled and embraced.

I can’t love you any more than I do.
And just by that, I feel complete.
So don’t cry, we can always meet again.
Whenever we close our eyes...

This song, along with the movie
Moon Child, has inspired me to write a story of friendship rather than love. If you ever get the chance to watch that movie, you'll see why. It's so powerful, and has little romance included. Just a beautiful friendship... And a heart touching movie in general. I would recommend it for sure.

The Ambiguity of Thought Fzc2ma
That's really all I have to say. I'm sorry for the slight rant, but I needed to get it off my chest, I'm afraid... I really do love you all, but at times it hurts to see the way some people here act. Please, don't get into trouble, stay healthy, live well. And have a good rest of your day, of course.

Sayonara and with love,
Komoda
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

The Ambiguity of Thought Empty Re: The Ambiguity of Thought

Post by Noah the Flood 7/26/2010, 6:01 pm

Ooooh, nice color assosiations nod
some comments..
Pride - Love the pokemon comment...
Gluttony - Its basically anything wrong with the liver, sometimes, I think. I know Liver Cancer causes it, which you most commonly get from smoking.
Gold - And remember King Midas!
Noah the Flood
Noah the Flood
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Male Posts : 10544

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 6:03 pm

Thanks!

Pride- Haha, thought you would. X3
Gluttony - Yeah, I know. I focused on Hepatitis because that was the only one I could think of.
Gold - True!
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/26/2010, 6:05 pm

Yellow Fever makes your eyes a little yellowy too. nod But that illness has no relation to gluttony.

I personally think the colo(u)r of sin is pretty. Is that a bad thing? o.O

You do have a point about your thoughts on MPD. I do think we have a "me" side to us all, though. It's just that, as you said elsewhere in that rant, we have a facade that we put up so that "me" is only visible to those that you want to have seen it... if that makes sense. Or maybe it's not even a facade; maybe we're always showing some of "me", but we only want to show certain people the parts that would allow acceptance.
But hey, why am I talking now? This is your blog, after all.

I had been listening to Brighter when I first got to this blog, and it just now ended, so I'm only now starting to listen to the Playlist, but I'm enjoying this first song very much. applause

Moon Child. Where have I heard that before? I'll have to consider it.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 6:14 pm

I've never heard of that before, actually. I'll have to look it up!

XD I dunno... Then again, most sins are enjoyable to an extent. o.e

Ah, very good point, Cyn! I agree with that. It's a complicated subject, but it makes sense.

I'm glad you like it! :3

Hmm... Well, if you do watch it, I hope you enjoy it! ^^
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/26/2010, 6:25 pm

Okie dokie! :3 Yellow fever is good and bad. Bad because it almost killed New York/Pennsylvania and other parts of young America, and it probably wouldn't surprise me if it hit Canada in the same process. Good because it got me a bucket of yellow cotton candy.

Good point. Maybe there's a reason why I've been dubbed a Cynner...

It's very complicated indeed. I want to say it's ambiguous, but the word's still a bit blurry in my mind. xP

Think they'll have it at Wal•Mart? ^^
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 6:36 pm

Oh... Well, cotton candy is always a good thing, at least. o.e

Haha, that's epic.

XD Well, I guess it could be considered ambiguous, because the subject can be interpreted in numerous ways. *shrug*

No, it's a foreign film. D: Sorry. You can find it on Google video, though. ^^
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/26/2010, 6:53 pm

It was yummy while it lasted. irresitible Which was about two days.

You can thank Twarry for that. (;

Good point there. Therefore making it worthy of being on this blog, correctamondo? ^^

Ah, foreignness. xP Lovely, but not when you can't find it locally. Ooh, but Google Video is a nice alternative! Thanks, I'll make sure to look for it later.
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 6:56 pm

Haha, awesome. Haven't had cotton candy in the longest time... D:

Ah, I see. XD On the nickname game thread?

True, true. ^u^

Ah, well I hope you like it. :3
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyn431 7/26/2010, 7:05 pm

Oh nu. D: Would Mo like some cotton candy? *hands over a bucketful*

No, she just started calling me that at... the template shop, I think, and I just thought, "Heck, why not add it?"

Okie dokie! Now, if only I could make this cover post faster so I can get to GV...
Cyn431
Cyn431
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 9:08 pm

Ooh, thankies! applause

Haha, I see. XD
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/26/2010, 9:23 pm

This blog is really cool, Komo. ^^ I love your little thing with the colors of sin, it's really creative.

The stuff you're saying about the feigned sincerity, though . . . I think you're kinda right, and at the same time, it scares me. XD Am I one of those people with feigned sincerity? Cus I know it's really easy for me just to say I like something and be done with it, though I've been making a point to be honest lately. I just prefer the positive to the negative. XD
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

The Ambiguity of Thought 1312The Ambiguity of Thought 2412The Ambiguity of Thought 3349The Ambiguity of Thought 3548The Ambiguity of Thought 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 9:29 pm

Thanks, Ado! ^^

No, don't take any of that personally. I was just in one of my little moods. I know what you're like; you focus on the good points in things rather than the bad. But I've noticed that you've also been giving constructive criticism a lot lately (that's a good thing) so, either way, I think you're an actually sincere person. I think I was referring to some of the things that were said to me at my family reunion yesterday, and it was just a combination of that and the fact that I was under stress from some Twig drama at the time. XD Don't worry.
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowsowner888 7/26/2010, 9:45 pm

Lol, okay. ^^ I didn't get the sense you were talking about me, really, but I just wanted to make sure. :3 I'm really glad you feel that way, in that case.
shadowsowner888
shadowsowner888
Admin

The Ambiguity of Thought 1312The Ambiguity of Thought 2412The Ambiguity of Thought 3349The Ambiguity of Thought 3548The Ambiguity of Thought 3327

Female Posts : 24391

http://www.shadowsowner888.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Komoda 7/26/2010, 11:08 pm

That's good then, Ado. ^u^

I love how great this looks without coding. *sarcasm*
XD
Komoda
Komoda
Best-Selling Author
Best-Selling Author